Alps 09 in pics

Hi Steve! Good to hear from you. I'll drop you a PM in a bit.

That trip looks good -haven't made any plans yet, but I did think about wandering down to the Pyrenees again at some point. I'll look into it and confirm on the other thread, before I totally hijack this one! :toungincheek

I have bumped into Mags a couple of times, since the trip, but noone else :tears

Ride safe

M

Heading this way-ish in May 2013 on my way from Calais to Florence with a novice biker who did his direct access a couple of months ago.

Enjoyed reading the RR, thank you. Also gleaned some useful information, thank you again.

The route will loosely be via Metz/Strasbourg/Basle/Lucerne/Como on the way there & Chamonix/Lyon on the way back.

Hoping to firm things up if/when santa brings me the maps I've requested for Christmas. Planning on staying in Campaniles/Ibises (Ibii?) or something equivalent.

Your pics have just ramped up the excitement another notch.....

Heading this way-ish in May 2013 on my way from Calais to Florence with a novice biker who did his direct access a couple of months ago.

Enjoyed reading the RR, thank you. Also gleaned some useful information, thank you again.

The route will loosely be via Metz/Strasbourg/Basle/Lucerne/Como on the way there & Chamonix/Lyon on the way back.

Hoping to firm things up if/when santa brings me the maps I've requested for Christmas. Planning on staying in Campaniles/Ibises (Ibii?) or something equivalent.

Your pics have just ramped up the excitement another notch.....

just download the maps from the net for free, u will have them in less time it takes to officially download from garmin !

just download the maps from the net for free, u will have them in less time it takes to officially download from garmin !

Thanx for the suggestion. TBH I hate my Garmin so I'm going to decide the overall route from good old fashioned maps & ask the Garmin to get me from A-B on a daily basis.

fair enough, as you are near make sure to go via the vosges hills - its got great roads !

im in basel and they are about 30 mins away. lucern is nice, watch yourself on the passes as the speed limit is 80 kmh and plod loves to set up speed traps and then rape you dry with sharpsand for the fine.

fair enough, as you are near make sure to go via the vosges hills - its got great roads !

im in basel and they are about 30 mins away. lucern is nice, watch yourself on the passes as the speed limit is 80 kmh and plod loves to set up speed traps and then rape you dry with sharpsand for the fine.

Again, really useful info - thanx. One thing that does concern me is additional charges for using some of the roads. I thought my 40 Euro sticker covered this. Am I wrong?

charges where? if in switzerland your 40 franc vignette will cover everything, except the rare 1 or 2 "private tolls" in some obscure redneck inbred out the way place you would never visit.

Vignette, that's the word I was looking for. :blast

I thought I'd seen on one of the RR's somewhere Glocknauer Pass cost 33 Euros to go up on a bike. Was concerned there may be other charges elsewhere.

Grossglocknauer road is a toll (as is the Nockalmstrasse) , these are in Austria for which you will also need a vignette(if only for a week or 2):thumb2

Back
Top Bottom