Ping ing cost ?? Any one

the civil one

Reaction score
Of late i had noticed a distinct ping ing noise from my moto
it only seems to happen when it is at operating temp
an infrequent happening!.City slicker reckons that he has had
this intermittant ping traced to the "HALLS SENSOR" ,
So i phone MR ,,BM ,not really to much avail,he says call in
and we will put it on a diagnostic machine which will tell all ?
So what do you knowledgeable lot out there know about this
Is City slicker right,,If so what is it ,why has it broken,
is it a dealer only job,what are the likely costs,how long ,
have you had sex recently ,with whom,does your wife know
whats the likely penalty if your caught????

seriously any help would be appreciated,as i am tryin to sell
the moto ,,but cant with something wrong wey it .

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 286
If it's an intermittant fault the diagnostic machine will probably not pick it up. As for cost...? With anything BMW it would appear that you're always wiser if you opt for extended warranty.:rolleyes:

D.I.Y. / PRO

O.K. then seeing and hows everyone seems to think this is
the actual problem.How can i be sure?.Can i fix it at home.
What cost is the part.Any other relavant info appreciated.
on second thoughts any Information appreciated.
Where are all the Teccies when ye need em ?.

Man, there are alot of us out here trying to find the diffinitive cause of ping/pink-ing. We vary from the home wrench'n retard, to the certified BMW master mechanic.

Possible theories:
Hall sensor bad
Hall sensor out of adjustment
Throttle bodies not synchronized perfectly
Valves out of a adjustment
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) out of adjustment
oxygen sensor bad
Bad fuel
Fuel additives
Wrong spark plugs
Bad programming in the Motoronic ECU

Any one, or some, or all, of this things could influence the ping/pink issue. From my research and experimentation, it is all the above. There is no ONE thing that can be traced to the cause for EVERY bike that pings.

Every thing listed above can be investigated by a person with some decent mechanical skills, one who is willing to take time and learn and investigate and tinker with their bike (Ok, not the motronic issue. that's a dealer, manufacturer problem)

As for the cost of taking your bike to the dealer to have them figure it out... call your dealer and ask what the hourly rate for a technician to look at your bike, then mulitply that by say... 24 (hours)?!?! I don't know, it's dependent on how good a tech you get.

As for the cost of doing it yourself... Well if you don't count the hours you put in, the parts that you might have to replace are the Hall Sensors, TPS, and oxygen sensor. I'm not gonna say what the costs are, becuse we don't live in the same location on the planet.

You asked a very open ended, nondiffinitive question.

you asked a vaery oipen non difinitive !

So could this open question be defined some more ..
More difinitive = Less dealer expense !.
I dont have any answers ,,but i,d like some

This pinging thing is not very common over here 'cos low temperature helps, but I understand my friends down in Italy are going crazy about that especially in the summer. I can only say that, apart from the causes mentioned above, it seems that carbon deposits on piston and cylinder lead to hot spots, therefore detonation. Many guys solved the problem with "water torture" (see also www.advrider.com) but in that case - as the Mechanic said - you've got to run in again (cheap and quick). Some other guys just stripped the heads and cleaned the shit manually, and it worked (u can do it yourself, you just buy the gaskets, so cheap but long).

I'm impressed by ur honesty though, not sure if I'd fixed it before selling.....bad guy

Civil,

The best place to start is making sure the bike is tuned as well as it can be.

How mechanicly inclined are you? Depending on your skill set, tackle each of the suggested areas yourself. But only doing the things you are confident you can do.

Start with setting your valves (and rocker end play), then setting the TPS, and finally sync'n your throttel bodies. Those are relatively do-able by an average mechanicly inclined person.

Then make an appointment with a dealer to check the remaining areas. Don't go in saying "Fix the ping!". They will just sigh and say "We'll try", or "They all do that".

Instead go in and ask for just the specific things be checked (Hall sensor, O2 sensor, etc)

Back
Top Bottom