Massive Helmet Required!

Britishbeefy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone suggest a big helmet please? My old Raid XXL (64) never really was big enough, gave me headaches after an hour or so. Just tried a XXL (63/64) HJC Crosser Helmet and no matter how far apart I pull the straps I can't get it down to my ears. I previously tried an Arai, years ago, and that shape didn't suit.
I suppose I need to drag my backside to a decent shop and try loads?
Are helmets getting smaller?
If I measure my head it only seems to be a 63/64, nothing massive, but I have virtually no hair and wonder whether they allow for that when they tell you to measure just above the ears?
Thanks for your advice and wise cracks in advance!

No idea, but I'd start by Googling German made lids...I have no proof of this whatsoever, but maybe Japanese ones are modelled smaller? :nenau

It does hold true pretty much for clothing....the Northern European brands tend to come in bigger sizes than the far eastern stuff :nenau

Been there, solved problem!
I need a size 64 and find the Schubert C3 flip-up to be a beauty. Very comfy, good quality and fairly quiet (I always use earplugs). Another option is the Arai Viper GT which is also available in 64. Both helmets mentioned have a larger shell than the standard sizes, therefore safety is not compromised by thinning out interior. Of the two, the Schubert is favourite due to convience of flip up and retractable sun visor. Communication gear is easily fitted to both.
the Northern European brands tend to come in bigger sizes than the far eastern stuff
Which is what Soichiro Honda found out when he visited Switerland in the late 60's and noticed a policeman on a very small motorcycle.
On closer inspection, he found the bike to be a Triumph Trident....

I remember reading an article many years ago about a company that custom-made helmets to order.
I did try to find out about them again when my dreadlocks became far too thick to get a helmet on anymore but with no luck. :nenau
I can't even suggest you cut your hair as you state you have none.

What about American brands? Not that I'm suggesting they are big-headed of course. :toungincheek

Or, as you suggest, go and try some out. The NEC show is coming up soon, there should be a good selection there.

Have a word with this bloke from the BSB paddock :thumb

img.ashx

That's Verne Troyer!

Thanks for advice, going to pop into Cardiff Hein Gericke tomorrow and try a few, if I can get an hour out of work.

Shoei Hornet XXL.I have a 64 head and its fine on me. Also you can get thinner foam liners to make it even bigger.

Edit in fact any of the shoei range.

my old Raid is a Shoei XXL (64) and uncomfortable despite several hundred hours of compaction (and headaches). I see Shoei do a XXXL in some of their range now though. Hein at lunchtime first. cheers

This oughta do it:D

Attachments

• spaceballs_large_13.jpg
    spaceballs_large_13.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 471
Anyone suggest a big helmet please? My old Raid XXL (64) never really was big enough, gave me headaches after an hour or so. Just tried a XXL (63/64) HJC Crosser Helmet and no matter how far apart I pull the straps I can't get it down to my ears. I previously tried an Arai, years ago, and that shape didn't suit.
I suppose I need to drag my backside to a decent shop and try loads?
Are helmets getting smaller?
If I measure my head it only seems to be a 63/64, nothing massive, but I have virtually no hair and wonder whether they allow for that when they tell you to measure just above the ears?
Thanks for your advice and wise cracks in advance!

Ring Matt at Smart Riders he sorted me out with a Helmet xxl and even swapped the cheek pads etc ..... they can help, tell them Big Derek sent you.

01202 470566

Smart Riders Ltd. Motorcycle Clothing & Accessories supplied from our retail shop in Christchurch, Bournemouth, Dorset, UK.

Welcome to Smart Riders Ltd, supplier of Motorcycle Clothing and Accessories from leading brands such as Schuberth, Nolan, X-Lite, Uvex, Grex, Davida, Rukka, Racer, Joe Rocket, Daytona, Gaerne, Kriega and Forcefield.

If you're serious about motorcycling you'll know that the clothing and helmet you wear on your motorcycle is the most important thing. Your motorcycle clothing, helmets, boots and gloves can help enhance your riding experience whilst ensuring your safety and protecting you as much as possible at all times

:)

I found the Nolan N102 was OK im an XXL also, but i now use a Caberg Justtimo GT and its more comfertable than the Nolan but noisier :comfort

Speaking from painful experience, your head shape matters too. My head is long (larger back to front) than broad and most helmets that come close to fitting leave me with a red band across the forehead after an hour or so. The xxl Shoei I had was particularly bad for this and I ended up going for it with the ball end of a hammer to compress the lining. While many people thought this a bad idea I reckoned that a constantly aching head was more distracting and therefore likely to cause an accident. The probability of injury because of that was higher than the likelihood that the loss of half a centimeter of lining across my forehead would increase the injury in an accident.

I found the BMW System V was the best fit - comes in at almost 65cm and seems longer to me. Turns out I have corners on my head though - I get a couple of red dots about the size of 10p pieces on my forehead after a while. Looks like I'm growing horns.:liv

A problem shared1

I am so so glad that others also have the same problems with helmet sizes and big/British heads!!!

Please do post the results of your investigations as I feel the need to replace my Shoei which is 'tight', even after shaving off some of the liner.

I am interested in the BMW System 6 as I believe that comes in a size 65

:comfort Like some others on this site, i have the same problem......

The Shoei XR1000 comes in 3XL, fits me perfect, they are readily available over here and you may get them a bit cheaper now as I see the XR1100 is just out. Try Helmet City.

I bought a HJC from a Yank co. (www.helmetshop.com) which fiited well (also a xxxl), They don't take the piss on the postage but obviously you have to pay the duty £18ish if I remember correctly)

"This week I am mostly wearing" :)........a Held Takato enduro helmet with peak and visor available in 3XL (they quote 66cm!), got mine from Germany but paid £175 for it, you can get them from www.scotbiker.com (glasgow i think) for about £100, good comfy helmet. Just had autocom earpeices fitted in it and still comfy.

I want a flip with a sun visor and have ordered a BMW system 6 to try, fingers crossed!!

Good luck, let us know how you get on

P.s.

Hein Gericke shops usually only stock up to XL or XXL if your lucky from my experience:mmmm

well, great comments thanks. will def look later at the suggesred links. Hein trip today was interesting,if ultimattely fruitless. as suggested lucky to have any xl let alone xxl and def no xxxl. interesting that a different model hjc cross helmet actually passed my ears in xl, where one i bought online in xxl wouldn,t. guy in shop also said they didn,t do it in an xxl? Bit of a wasted trip although he did say my head didn't look that big, thanks!
Right, family stuff now and more research later, cheers.

Back
Top Bottom