Vario Pannier Brace / Staberliser pictures

Just trying to be helpful ...

Stick and Mark Hooton, et al, Hi!

I'm waving to you from the other side of the pond.

Stick, your Stabilizer Bar gained a quite a bit of interest on the Adventure Rider forum last winter. Photos and details were posted in the thread called Vario Cases Modifications, starting with post #22 posted by Schtum:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17378142#post17378142

Unfortunately several of ADV members posted to this thread instead of private messaging, expressing their interest. Certainly it was a year after Stick had started the thread, so it makes sense that the ADV member posts weren't spotted.

Now that both Mark and Stick are building or agreeing that the other is going to build more of these stabilizer bars there is more interest in the ADV thread.

If possible, would both of you post to that thread explaining what you're planning on doing, how to get in touch via normal email, and maybe post your photos? The ADVrider.com forum is totally free, one just needs an account to be able to post to the forums.

Me, I'm just the messenger. I think the Stabilizer Bar v1.0 (Sticks) and v2.0 (Mark's) are great for reducing the flapping of the Varios.

Am I making sense, and is this helpful?

Enjoy,

Liz

Again, just trying to be helpful ...

Hi!

This is what I just posted in the Varios Modification thread on ADVRider.com.

Liz

Hi!

I should have been clearer with my previous post.

On the UKGSer.com forum, Stick initially posted the thread about building Vario Stabilizer Bars for people. The thread was started in September of 2009. Last December, 2010, Schtum posted here in this thread a link to the UKGSer thread, I posted photos. Some interest was generated and posts to the UKGSer thread were made.

Unfortunately it's now known that Stick hadn't been checking the thread, albeit he did respond to private messages. In order to post the the UKGSer.com threads one only needs a free account. To send private messages there is a premium membership requiring a small fee.

Recently Mark Hooton, trying to be helpful, posted that he was interested in building Vario Stabilizer Bar v2.0, but did not want to step on Stick's toes. With a bit of behind the scenes communication, it appears that Stick is now checking the thread and is willing to make the bars again. My suggestion is if one is interested in a set of the bars that they post or private message on this thread:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2905883#post2905883

Me, I'm just the messenger. I think the Stabilizer Bar v1.0 (Sticks) and v2.0 (Mark's) are both equally great for reducing the flapping of the Varios.

Am I making sense, and being helpful?

Enjoy,

Liz

Stick's Vario Stabilizer Bar v1.0

attachment.php

Mark Hooton's v2.0

6400218403_72a359e986_z.jpg

Stick and Mark Hooton, et al, Hi!

I'm waving to you from the other side of the pond.

Stick, your Stabilizer Bar gained a quite a bit of interest on the Adventure Rider forum last winter. Photos and details were posted in the thread called Vario Cases Modifications, starting with post #22 posted by Schtum:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17378142#post17378142

Unfortunately several of ADV members posted to this thread instead of private messaging, expressing their interest. Certainly it was a year after Stick had started the thread, so it makes sense that the ADV member posts weren't spotted.

Now that both Mark and Stick are building or agreeing that the other is going to build more of these stabilizer bars there is more interest in the ADV thread.

If possible, would both of you post to that thread explaining what you're planning on doing, how to get in touch via normal email, and maybe post your photos? The ADVrider.com forum is totally free, one just needs an account to be able to post to the forums.

Me, I'm just the messenger. I think the Stabilizer Bar v1.0 (Sticks) and v2.0 (Mark's) are great for reducing the flapping of the Varios.

Am I making sense, and is this helpful?

Enjoy,

Liz

Well done, kind words Liz!

Here is the link to mine if anyone whants the single item - Stick remains your man for batches of course!

http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/bmw-r1200gs-vario-pannier-stabiliser-bracket-83-p.asp

Position

Hi All, final one made and ready to test with Craig on Sunday if it`s not blowing a gale....................

6400218473_1802a85607_m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

6400218403_72a359e986_m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Couple of points:

Its made from stainless apart from the adjuster feet.
It does not rest on the heat shield (Sticks does and I am NO WAY saying thats a bad thing - his is brill - I am just taking into consideration a point from another Tosser!)

I`ve also changed the OEM M5x15 fasteners which attach it for M5x20 as IMHO the OEM ones don`t quite seem long enough...............

Following testing I am looking to sell them individually but if anyone is after a batch then Stick is your man!

Mark , the reason the bar was positioned against the pannier heat shield was due to long term test of a previous version , which was placed in the similar position to yours. I found that the panniers at full load did not benifit from that postion as it was too close to the side mount and the lay out of force was not what i was after , hence i moved it to the heat shield , ie made the trianglation better( if that makes sense)also that position , was ,over a period of time could be a weak spot as it is flexable at that point , moving the position put it closer to the edges thus stronger ( explaining is not my best thing so hope i am making the points clear)
. I have had this (current brace) part on long term test now and it works fine Typical jouney for me would be a two week trip two up 3000 + miles with 15 to 20 kgs per side + top storage ( wunderlic) all sorts of roads with no issues.
Like the stainless idea - must look into that
I will make up a batch of 20 over the next 2 weeks so if anyone is inetrested please pm me .

Happy days :friday

Ta Stick

Ta for that mate, of course that is a good reason - I knew there would be :blast

Yeah - stainless is worth trying, its a b*stard to work (as you probably know), very expensive but worth it IMHO.

And it looks shiny :drool

If you need any advice or help then please get in touch.

Mark.

Seems good!

Went for a test run today with Craig and it seemed to work fine.

It was bloody windy, which helped with the testing, and after a small adjustement the panniers seemed a lot less `flappy`

Thanks to Craig for his kindness in following me to observe what happened :clap

Mark , the reason the bar was positioned against the pannier heat shield was due to long term test of a previous version , which was placed in the similar position to yours. I found that the panniers at full load did not benifit from that postion as it was too close to the side mount and the lay out of force was not what i was after , hence i moved it to the heat shield , ie made the trianglation better( if that makes sense)also that position , was ,over a period of time could be a weak spot as it is flexable at that point , moving the position put it closer to the edges thus stronger ( explaining is not my best thing so hope i am making the points clear)
. I have had this (current brace) part on long term test now and it works fine Typical jouney for me would be a two week trip two up 3000 + miles with 15 to 20 kgs per side + top storage ( wunderlic) all sorts of roads with no issues.
Like the stainless idea - must look into that
I will make up a batch of 20 over the next 2 weeks so if anyone is inetrested please pm me .

Happy days :friday
Stick, I agree with your approach and would like to order one of yours for my bike. I am not able to send you a PM as I don't have that privilege on this forum. I can be contacted at dfhepner@att.net. I am in the US about half way around the globe from you in the California Republic.

Or if some one could please PM Stick on my behalf with this information.

Stick, I agree with your approach and would like to order one of yours for my bike. I am not able to send you a PM as I don't have that privilege on this forum. I can be contacted at dfhepner@att.net. I am in the US about half way around the globe from you in the California Republic.

Hi there, I`ll PM Stick now and ask him to contact you.

:thumb

Brace

Pmd you vial email :thumb2:thumb2

Can you try to PM him

Ok, thats great and I am sure he will be very pleased to hear from you.

Can you PM stick and I am sure he will get back to you.

If he doesn`t get back to you then I am happy to help but please try him first.

Thanks,

Mark

Vario Braces

No probs mate - if you get stuck I can always help you out with two but please try Stick first.

:thumb

Thanks Mark have pm'd - if anyone needs my email please send enquiry to
stick2471@blueyonder.co.uk as i can keep a record of who wants what.

I am making a batch before xmas ( 20-off ) so will have these made asap and will, if all gone ,be doing another after xmas - appologies for delay but flatout at work doing a contract that takes up loads of time as in Dubai UAE but will have the braces done .:beerjug::beerjug::thumb2

Back
Top Bottom