BMW Nav IV and Autocom

And relax... :comfort

Sounds like you didn't get the right system for long days in the saddle. Both bit's are fine in isolation, but have issues working together. :blast

I was torn between the convenience of wireless and the convenience of bike powered and in the end i plumped for wired as i can't be arsed to charge/change batteries for long rides away.

Hope you find a solution that works for you. :beerjug:

Sorry mate, I finished a very long night shift earlier this morning only to discover a 4 inch screw in my 12 DAYS old rear Michelin...
... to be told by the tyre-man "It's too much on the "edge" so you may need a new tyre" ... after 12 f*cking days!!!

I was gutted.

He plugged it and told me to keep an eye out for a potential slow puncture to come...

:mad:

So I came back home and when I read the thread I couldn't be asked to write up and just did a copy paste.

Now I've had a little kip, 2 pints of hot chocolate and a massive slice of chocolate chips sponge cake home cooked by the missus, as you say I can "...relax..." a bit.

:)

To be perfectly honest, since last November I've been riding every day to work, except when snow + ice.

On my own I just plug my old £20 mp3 from Argoose in the Autocom for my music, no access through screen so I leave it on random!

The bluetooth "dongle" works around 75% of the time so I can use my mobile phone...

...except the ONLY day I REALLY needed it, when a f*ckwit was driving down Tottenham Court Road the wrong way towards me and I needed to call 999 !!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

All in all the Nav IV maps are very very good, the 3D-buildings option is brilliant, lane change screen is clear and practical, it's a cracking piece of kit.

And despite all my bitterness with the Wire-less Autocom, WHEN it works it's very good.

Many thanks for the fast response and the advice. I guess its off to get a Zumo 660 and if feeling brave might attempt Andy H's Mcgiver mod. Wapping I think we're going to see each other on the France jaunt - look forward to meeting up.

I bought an Autocom Logic basic kit with a lead to power from bike and a Zumo 660 for £420 (full retail - not "white box").

I did not want a strangled BMW version of a 660 with buttons that added nothing to the usability so saved a lot of cash there. the basic Autocom gives me Zumo voice, hands free calling, rider to pillion, bike to bike and an input I use for a small DAB radio so why spend silly money on anything more.

I bought a car headlight relay for a couple of quid so the Zumo could be connected through that so it's not live all the time and another £40 on the bits that are needed to connect a PMR radio for bike to bike. TOTAL expenditure of about £640. Wiring the Zumo through the relay is a no brainer. Take one wire from battery with an inline fuse, One from battery negative and another from the back of the aux socket.. Connect both to relay together with Zumo following the instructions that come with most relays but connecting the Zumo where the instructions show the headlight. You can even save an inline fuse by getting a relay with one built in or use a purpose made cable from Nippy Normam to plug into the bike Canbus and save all the wiring hassle- but a relay is a lot cheaper.

Everything works off the bike battery so no problem with changing batteries after five hours and everything works exactly as it should. I did eventually spend another £80 on a lockable Touratech bracket for the Zumo. Not essential but I think the 660 is too easy to remove and got it at a discount at the bike show. Incidentally, the mount for the BMW version of the Zumo can't be used with the Touratech mount, another reason for not buying it.

I am as pleased with this as I have been with the set ups on previous bikes. I.e Garmin 2720 + Autocom and Garmin 550 + Autocom (which is now fitted to wife's bike.

Many thanks for the information guess I will be dusting off the old soldering iron over the weekend!

Anyone know if there's any news on the nav IV/Autocom bluetooth dongle connectivity issue?

Back
Top Bottom