Do you remove vario panniers overnight?

If you search for long enough you will find threads about pannier inner bags........

You are missing the point.... he knows all about inner bags.

The OP's question is whether bods will pinch - or tamper with - his empty Vario boxes while he sleeps quietly in his upper floor (end of corridor) room, exhausted by the climb.

What you should be working on is advice on secure parking, CCTV and guard dogs but, probably easiest of all:

STAYING AT HOME, IF IT'S ALL TOO BLOODY DANGEROUS OUT THERE....

"Can anyone recommend a b&b with secure bike parking on St Kilda? I'd rather not have to remove my panniers.............:nenau"

Al :blast

Sure, give Mrs McTavish at Mctavish's B&B-Bistro on Main St St Kilda a bell, Her numer is St Kilda 3.

She has had loads of GS tourers staying so has a secure underground compound (ex Nato) where you can leave bike (panniers attached) for the night. She also does a cracking breakfast :augie

if you take the panniers off, surely that leaves the bike exposed to ne'er-do-wells?

it's certainly a worry.

Top tips:

1) Panniers left on make excellent crash bars when the prospective thief tries to wheel the bike away and you kindly put the steering / disc lock on :thumb2

2) They also make excellent pillion passenger protection if you drop the bike and they keep their feet on the pegs :thumb2

3) Panniers left on the bike give you somewhere flat to put helmets etc on when you need more space than the rear seat :thumb2

3 out of 3 top tips, says keep the panniers on :thumb

Inner bags is the way to go unless you’re short of space, you can get loads more packing straight in to a case.

I tried a trip around Europe packing straight in to the panniers (because they were waterproof), but lugging heavy panniers up 3 flights of stairs late on a hot afternoon… never again :(

PS, my inner bags came from a Clakes shoe shop, fit perfectly and only £12 each :thumb

I've attached a skate boards to the bottom of my paniers, I just release them and pull them along on a cupple of dog leashes all the way into the room.

A couple of times I've had to pay for have pets in the room..... but at least I solved the carrying problem.

I've heard that Touratech are developing zero gravity paniers so the weight problem won't be an issue in the near future, a novel extra will be a GPS attachment which will allow the panniers to find their own way to your hotel room. Won't that be Wunderlichious.

I used the wee Touratat soft bags that fit on top of the panniers for hotel stopovers and left the main panniers on the bike full of stuff. I'd be more worried about the bike than my chavvy Puma tee shirts and tatty wangers.

I thought it was a fair question BTW and am somewhat surprised by the onslaught of caustic replies. I put it down to the clocks going back and all these grumpy old tossers getting a dose of SAD. Also you'll find that by owning a 1200 you'll always attract a toxic audience of zombie-like 1150 owners who point and laugh before unloading worn-out jokes about recovery trucks and warranties.

;)

I use Morrisons inner bags

:augie

Use em and bin em.

Give the poor guy some slack!

Geeze guys cut the guy some slack!

He is a obviously worried and wanted general opinion on what his fellows tossers do...

Shooting him down in flames is good sport but doesn't help him assimilate into the GSer culture...

He's obviously not had a bike with portable panniers on before.

I think the general consensus is leave them on!

I think the general consensus is leave them on!

Well - that's him told :thumb2

Let's be honest - if he leaves them on.......................... he's not going to get a decent night's sleep - because no matter how many people say that they leave them on the bike, he's still gonna worry. :rolleyes:

Al :augie

I've usually ended up kipping well away from where the bike would be parked. I bought a set of pannier inserts for my RT and now use them with the GSA.

Jesus - what a bunch of tossers some of you are! Why the barrage of abuse and level of sarcastic drivel??

Quite simply I was interested in your informed opinions as to whether you used pannier bags or remove the box itself (which it's clearly designed to do in seconds). Is that too much to ask?? Having spent the last five days getting p155ed on back through France the boxes just felt like hard work so I was looking to gauge what most of you do (which clearly is leave the boxes on) whilst raising the subject of security. Not because I'm paranoid or full of worry - just that I don't know! If the question is percieved as naive by the experts out there then why not use your opinion more productively?

Continue with the schoolyard mentality of pointless abuse if you wish but at least be somewhat subjective??

Thanks to those who understood the simple nature of my question

I've just returned from nine days through France and the Pyrenees and stayed in a different hotel everynight. I haven't got pannier bags and found it hard work lugging both boxes, helmet and tankbag from the bike to the hotel room so am thinking it's a better idea to get a couple of bags and leave the boxes on the bike. Generally speaking, if the bike is left parked in a town centre do you think it's safe to leave the boxes on the bike overnight? Whilst they're empty any potential scrotum isn't going to know this and may end up just ripping the things off.

Opinions??

To be fair - most of your query relates to the security-aspect of leaving the panniers on the bike.......... :confused:

Could be that you didn't mean to write it thus?

Al :thumb2

Jesus - what a bunch of tossers some of you are! Why the barrage of abuse and level of sarcastic drivel??

There's some right grumpy bar stewards round here but don't let it worry you. :) If you're ever stuck in the middle of nowhere with some obscure GS problem and manage to access UKGSER, it will almost certainly be exactly the same grumpy old bar stewards who'll get you moving again.

FWIW, I never remove panniers and have never had a problem. I go abroad once a year with a group of around 10 riders and can't remember a single instance of pannier abuse. It doesn't stop one of our number lovingly taking his GSA panniers (with no carrying handles!) to his room at every stop...we do continue to express our bewilderment in robust fashion but fortunately he couldn't give a shit what we think.

There's some right grumpy bar stewards round here but don't let it worry you. :) If you're ever stuck in the middle of nowhere with some obscure GS problem and manage to access UKGSER, it will almost certainly be exactly the same grumpy old bar stewards who'll get you moving again.

that is indeed how it is.

you have to take the rough with the smooth :)

To answer the question......

Depends where you are going.

I know one guy who does lots of adventure touring and insists on taking his panniers off every night (they are adventure one's though)

as he has had two sets stolen when in eastern europe.

The bike was left untouched

Apparantely they are a well sort after item

I've attached a skate boards to the bottom of my paniers, I just release them and pull them along on a cupple of dog leashes all the way into the room.

A couple of times I've had to pay for have pets in the room..... but at least I solved the carrying problem.

I've heard that Touratech are developing zero gravity paniers so the weight problem won't be an issue in the near future, a novel extra will be a GPS attachment which will allow the panniers to find their own way to your hotel room. Won't that be Wunderlichious.

Can see how OP got a little upset with some comments, but the one above made me laugh,

Quality !

:clap:D

It all depends.

Would you leave the panniers on if you parked on the road in one of our less salubrious areas in the UK? Probably not, and you'd want a big dog to look after the rest of the bike.

Would you leave the panniers on if you were in secure parking area in the UK / EU? Probably.

I'd guess that the TT etc type of panniers would be easier to remove without too much damage to the bike / panniers compared to the vario type. There again, the TT etc type will probably be more sought after :mmmm

Back
Top Bottom