100% waterproof one piece?

Packer

Appreciating Scotland
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone have a completely waterproof one piece suit with which they are 100% satisfied?

The 'Stitch leaks and isn't even claimed as completely waterproof by the manufacturer.

Popeye of this parish has said that the Phantom leaks as did more than one version of the £850 Rev'it Infinity.

I am on my second BMW Coverall. The first leaked at the crotch and the pockets filled with water. This one has leaked into the pockets, (not just damp but puddles in the right hip pocket and the outside chest pocket which came close to killing my mobile phone) but has kept my dry so far.

So anyone got a good'un that they can recommend?

aquar28.jpg
:blast

I don't think there is any such thing.....any suit that's wearable on a bike will leak eventually, or when dirty/older/used incorrectly.

Those who claim that theirs hasn't just forget to add the word 'Yet' to their sentence. :rob

The closest I've come to a fully waterproof suit is either my BMW Streetguard suit or the one you've already dismissed, the Aerostich......

There is, however, a knack to sealing down the 'Stich and if you get it wrong, you will get wet.......but that's the same as any bit of kit.
(Have a search here under 'aerostich' and you should find several threads about making them as w/proof as possible.
:thumb

New BMW One Piece

I was at the dealers a few days ago and noticed that they had a new one piece suit on display. It's a similar sort of bonded gore-tex to the Master V, with waterproof pockets and rubber waterproof zips. Didn't get a price though

I was at the dealers a few days ago and noticed that they had a new one piece suit on display. It's a similar sort of bonded gore-tex to the Master V, with waterproof pockets and rubber waterproof zips. Didn't get a price though

Yep! It's called a BMW Coverall:augie

And Fanum,

Quote:- "I don't think there is any such thing.....any suit that's wearable on a bike will leak eventually, or when dirty/older/used incorrectly.

Those who claim that theirs hasn't just forget to add the word 'Yet' to their sentence. "

I agree, I'm just looking for one that starts life as properly waterproof. except where it creeps in at neck or cuffs etc. Someone must make one surely!

I have been using an Alpinstars 'El Nino' one piece waterproof for a couple of years. So far no leaks and I have been out in some pretty awful weather. IMHO very good value for money(less than £100). When not in use it has its own pouch so that it can be carried/worn like a bumbag.(also doubles up as a pillow when camping).

Steve

Drive a car and you will be dry all the time :D

No Tom, that would be too easy. I want to ride my bike and be dry all the time.

The El Nini is an oversuit Steve, I'm wanting a one peice protective/armoured suit that it's easy to get in and out of when commuting, will protect me in the event of an off and will keep me dry.

Sounds like an impossible dream:( Maybe there will be a 'Stitch Mk II or similar before long that really doesn't leak.

Anyone had experience of the revised (a couple of years ago) Spidi Admiral?

I've got a Fieldsheer Highland one piece that cost me £200 .00 in 2005.

It was a bargain , and remained completely waterproof until a couple of months ago when I noticed I got a wet arm , and I've ridden it year round almost all the time since I got it .

Unfortunately you can't buy them in the UK anymore , and they have now been superceded by the Cyclone suit .

Highland suit

http://www.revzilla.com/product_ima...r_Highland_1_Piece_Suit_Black-Silver_zoom.jpg

Cyclone

http://www.fieldsheer.com/site2009/IE/product/cyclonesuit.htm

Plus points

Comprehensive armour and reflective bits and vents all over , and once you get the knack , easy to get on and off .

Minus point - it's a bugger to store once you take it off because of the armour , particularly the back part , and it's heavy to carry around , something you don't notice whilst wearing it .

I'd have another without hesitation .

Steve

Last update on this product as I rejected it today. I was on the second replacement that had kept me dry but the pockets still leaked a bit. I was prepared to tolerate that but then yesterday the right leg waterproof zip started to disintegrate.

Bear in mind the first suit was bought 3rd September '09 and I had received two replacements. It was worn at least 5 days a week except when the snow was on the ground. Not good.

As always the BMW warranty is superb and I received a full refund on the suit.

Now, who makes a one piece suit that starts life as completely waterproof even after several hours in heavy rain:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah

I bought a Held Monsoon a year or so ago. It came 2nd in Ride magazine tests behind a very expensive Alpine Satrs one and they reckoned that it withstood a pressure washer. It's Hi Vis too. So far I'm very pleased

from what i can summise .... forget it!! You are on a hiding to no where.

Common sense really i suppose .... stitch anything together and you introduce thousands of little holes. Make the holes smaller and the thread finer and the product becomes weaker.

Stich a bit of reflective on and bingo... off we go again. disrupt the material to fit a pocket and guess what? .... more of those pesky holes. fit a flap over the pocket/zip and hey ...more holes..

Completely dry .... easy in/out ... use a 'dry suit ala scuba divers hands and head'll still be wet though.

Oh' forgot!! unless you get a breathable one ... it'll still be damp inside??

I was really disappointed that the RevIt suit leaked - thought it would have been the answer.

Got a 'stich now and am prepared for it to leak in the crotch area. As long as I know it will leak at some point then I won't be disappointed.

I think of it as disappointment management !!

I wear a pair of good quality breathable Mountain Hardware overtrousers under the 'stich if I'm heading out into what looks like a longish wet ride so my proper clothes are dry on arrival.

Has worked so far :thumb2

Taken a leap into the dark and ordered a Vanucci from Louis.de.

Same suit as on GetGeared but the price is in €'s instead of £'s. Here:-

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/VANUCCI_Cordura_Tech_Overall_WP

Costs less than the BMW suit, still a laminated suit, includes a thermal liner which the BMW one didn't as well as a few other nice touchs.

Two to three weeks lead time from either site but I'll post a report when it arrives.

If it doesn't leak worse than a 'stitch it must be a winner:mmmm

I've got a Fieldsheer Highland one piece that cost me £200 .00 in 2005.

It was a bargain , and remained completely waterproof until a couple of months ago when I noticed I got a wet arm , and I've ridden it year round almost all the time since I got it .

Unfortunately you can't buy them in the UK anymore , and they have now been superceded by the Cyclone suit .

Highland suit

http://www.revzilla.com/product_ima...r_Highland_1_Piece_Suit_Black-Silver_zoom.jpg

Cyclone

http://www.fieldsheer.com/site2009/IE/product/cyclonesuit.htm

Plus points

Comprehensive armour and reflective bits and vents all over , and once you get the knack , easy to get on and off .

Minus point - it's a bugger to store once you take it off because of the armour , particularly the back part , and it's heavy to carry around , something you don't notice whilst wearing it .

I'd have another without hesitation .

Steve

Don't bother with the cyclone. I had one sent from the states, and whilst it's a nice bit of kit it is NOT waterproof. First ride in any decent rain and it poured in at the crotch and arms.

Taken a leap into the dark and ordered a Vanucci from Louis.de.

Same suit as on GetGeared but the price is in €'s instead of £'s. Here:-

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/VANUCCI_Cordura_Tech_Overall_WP

Costs less than the BMW suit, still a laminated suit, includes a thermal liner which the BMW one didn't as well as a few other nice touchs.

Two to three weeks lead time from either site but I'll post a report when it arrives.

If it doesn't leak worse than a 'stitch it must be a winner:mmmm

oooer..

'Anti skid seat panel'

I bought an IXS one piece suit about 3 years ago. Its unlined, plain black and works a treat. Its been used a fair bit on trips from the NW to London and on trips round Scotland and has always kept me dry. The only issue I have with it is the neck isnt big enough to fasten over my textile jacket but it still fastens tight enough to keep me dry. Discovered after my last tour of Scotland that the "fin" on the back of my boot had paunctured the leg. Thank goodness for gaffer tape. . . .

IXS are relatively inexpensive too which I like!

In really heavy rain on long trips I use a cheap two piece oversuit on top of my so called waterproof textiles.
They don`t breath but you rarely get the really bad rain in Summer. It is a pain putting on another layer, but I know I will arrive dry so it is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom