Twinshock Trials Bike - Collective views?

I 'inherited' my Dad's TY175 last year (though it's still on loan to a friend of his). He bought it new
in Dec '77 and I rode my first trial on it in '79 aged 13. This pic was taken in '80 ...
ty175a.jpg

Also had a 250 Beamish then a 240 Fantic before getting into road bikes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.. 340 Bult - is it a Reg May one of the Comerfords era:drool:drool
I think my cousin's husband rode for Comerfords back in the day ...
http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/content_database/a_step_back_in_time/index

August 1st 1984. Less than 5 miles on the clock and already an oil leak from the gearshift shaft.
200 miles later it was cartwheeled down a rocky slope in a trial and the tank capacity was reduced to a half :D

Attachments

• TLR 200 Aug 84 small.jpg
    TLR 200 Aug 84 small.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,215
looking for a ty175/250 project if anyone has one tucked away:augie:aidan

I think my cousin's husband rode for Comerfords back in the day ...
http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/content_database/a_step_back_in_time/index

Is that the Chris Myers that still campaigns a Yamaha TY250 every year in the Scottish Six Days Trial ? If so, I enjoy watching him each year trounce the younger blokes on posh new bikes. He is a great rider and shows it's ability and guts that matter, not the latest bike. Long may he and the Yam continue. Top bloke.

Is that the Chris Myers that still campaigns a Yamaha TY250 every year in the Scottish Six Days Trial ? If so, I enjoy watching him each year trounce the younger blokes on posh new bikes. He is a great rider and shows it's ability and guts that matter, not the latest bike. Long may he and the Yam continue. Top bloke.
Yes that's him. He's doing the 6 Days and the Pre65 this year ... glutton for punishment.

ty250 on ebay whats it worth

Hi i was looking at a ty 250 on ebay says its a non runner and needing restored any idea's what its worth or how much it will go for ....it finishes on monday 09-08-10 looks ok but maybe more money than i want to spend ..

cheers

Here's my 1977 Montesa 348 MRR, I love it:kissy2:comfort
Stared her up this morning and it sounds just like brand new. Apart from the previous owner who only rode it once it had the same owner for 28 years who must have lovingly restored it after a life times of trail riding.
Not bad for less than £900
1110963195_zH3jC-XL.jpg

1110961949_unqid-XL.jpg

1110962504_9Cec3-XL.jpg

Looks great Tim:thumb (please put it back to stock though and remove the tacky bling)

MRR = Malcolm Rathmell Replica (for the uninitiated) - still heavily involvd in Trials as the Sherco importer and he still lives on a farm, where he was born & bred in Yorkshire, near Harrogate

Here's Malcolm Rathmell in all his glory...............he's affectionately known in Trials circles as 'Rastus'

Attachments

• 12860.jpg
    12860.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 2927229135_1_3.jpg
    2927229135_1_3.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,630
  • 3124349959_3b757872cd.jpg
    3124349959_3b757872cd.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,778
  • t348-76.jpg
    t348-76.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 943
  • 3124053845_bcc1ff84cc_z.jpg
    3124053845_bcc1ff84cc_z.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 860
That looks better than the earlier pics Tim, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh!
Is that the standard silencer? Which ones had the square silencer? That's what mine had on, I can't find any old pics of it. :(
Mark

That looks better than the earlier pics Tim, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh!
Is that the standard silencer? Which ones had the square silencer? That's what mine had on, I can't find any old pics of it. :(
Mark

The one in the first of my pics has the same silencer as Tims, shame some numpty has put a piece of stainless on it to tart it up, original ones are pretty easy to get luckily

That's an absolute gem that. I had one of those about 15 years ago, and it took a big gulp of water when we were messing about on it. Piston sideways in the bore and the crank in three pieces:(

Flogged for bits after that.

Still fancy a pre 65 heavy weight though:bounce1

Looks great Tim:thumb (please put it back to stock though and remove the tacky bling)

Thanks for posting than info Johnny, I actually like mine the way it is:p The paint scheme is better imo and I know you don't like the plate on the silencer but it does give it a personal touch:D

I have the original head light and mudguards etc. I bought it just as a bike to ride so any mods to it now will soley be to improve it's practicalities ie. higher bars and maybe have a look at the footrest position:)

Still fancy a pre 65 heavy weight though:bounce1

Yes I thought about going that route too but a decent one is a lot more money now:blast

What a great looking bike with some nice little touches .you see alot of old trials bikes made to look like a tarts hand bag like some ty250's on here ....

Gave mine it's first run with Mark (Earthmover) today.
Jeez, it's hard work!!

I took a few silly tumbles, which is nothing new when I go offroad, but really enjoyed it.

We exchanged bikes a few times and yes the old twin shock is probably more demanding but I'm hoping that in the end it may well be more rewarding, or painful:blast

The old and the new.
1114165851_TSuTf-XL.jpg

Here's a few photos of Mark showing me how it should be done:)
1114161843_HNA43-XL.jpg

1114171156_Km67s-XL.jpg

1114168980_cf8UF-XL.jpg

Mine has the luxury of a seat:D
1114170005_dH6Zh-XL.jpg

I learnt a fair amount today with so much more to discover despite a life time of offroading.
The bike needs a bit of fettling then I'll enter it in my first event:)
Cheers Mark, see you at the trial in the morning:beerjug:
1114166466_BN83B-XL.jpg

All we need now is a venue and we could do a UKGSER trial:thumb, seems to be a fair few of us now with trials bikes of varying descriptions:clap

Back
Top Bottom