Bitterly disappointed but realistic - Friday 8th of January 2010

Thunder

Reaction score
Having discussed the on going severe weather conditions, which show no signs of improving over the next week we've had to reassess our starting plans for the trip.

Given that the roads on Rassay aren't gritted, it was already looking unlikely that riding Calum's Road would be possible, paticularly with fully laden bikes.

We know that Calmac were laying on a special ferry for us, the Rassay House Hotel providing accomodation on the Thursday night and that people both locally and from the UKGSER were planning on coming to see us off. But it would be foolhardy to risk riding in the current conditions any more than is necessary, so instead we will each be making our way on major roads, aiming to meet up along the way Woodstock style and making for Folkestone on the Saturday for the crossing to Europe.

We are all disappointed that we will not be starting from Calum's Road next Friday, but we will be riding it in 2010, just later in the year when we will be arranging a celebratory ride open to anyone who fancies it. :thumb

What about a Soireé on Raasay in the summer :augie

Good call the roads up here are feckin horrendous and the thought of someone binning it on the way to the start turns yir stomach.

The initial trip was no rules but safety is always the main concern :clap

Oh has anyone seen the Kent forecast for the end of the week:blast

Arse, I was looking forward to an excuse for a wee trip on the bike but it's the best thing to do in this weather.:(

( Fuck, I'm gonnae be seek o' eating the whole Stornoway black pudding I was taking up tae Watternish:blast )

( Fuck, I'm gonnae be seek o' eating the whole Stornoway black pudding I was taking up tae Watternish:blast )

Stick it in the post:thumb2

Spoke tae Raasay Hotel to tell them that no one would be staying Thursday night David the owner suggested a Ceilidh there in May :beerjug:

It would be rude not to:jager

If Rab Mac still had that combo ye's could hae sent him as the sacrificial lamb! In a symbolic atart of the Journey for yous all!

It would be a horrible sight and difficult for him tae focus on the riding but he could hae all yer photys in the sidecar bit( that wis the scarey bit)!

Re MAy, Anyone mind an interloper attending this one?

I did help a bit :) Just a Little bit!

Honest I did :D:D:D

This seems a sensible option bearing in mind the weather and I'm a bit surprised at you all because as I say it seems the sensible thing to do:p

What are the new plans for the start of the trip now, maybe you could get all your bikes repatriated to Rassay and do it all together at the end (plus the dance and piss up in May of course).

Anyway, keep us posted:thumb2

AndyT:cool:

So where does it start now? and will you take that ferry from Casablanca to Dakar?

GOOD LUCK! BON VOYAGE! :thumb2

Do you guys have one of those fancy daily Google map/earth updates?

We need a name for the Calum's Ceilidh. And a date.

7-9 May is the Wales weekend, and 21-23 is the North of England one, so it would seem to be a choice between 14-16, or 28-30.

Names - Calum's Road: The Squeakwal? The Long Way Up? Banjul Memories? Raasay Reunion?

So where does it start now? and will you take that ferry from Casablanca?

Folkestone. All the guys are riding south picking up the rabble on the way. The majority of us are booked on the 9:20am train Sunday morning staying at a hotel close by Sat night if any tossers want to come and get :jager with us.

Not sure about the ferry. Will take a decision in Marocco.

Yes we do. Mine will be updated at www.motobimble.co.uk but requires me to find an internet cafe. Some of the other guys are taking an Spot which tracks them, I'm sure they'll post the links to their maps.

Richard

7-9 May is the Wales weekend, and 21-23 is the North of England one, so it would seem to be a choice between 14-16, or 28-30.

Names - Calum's Road: The Squeakwal? The Long Way Up? Banjul Memories? Raasay Reunion?

Calum's Road 2009: Has Roger Made it Yet?

Calum's Road 2009: Snow Scares Us More Than Terrorists

1/ Every Which Way But Raasay

2/ Calum's Road 2010 A Drift Too Far

3/ The Good, The Bad and The Knackered

4/ The Taking of Kuntaur 1, 2, 2 1/2

5/ Good Morning Raasay!

6/ Ice Cold in Raasay

7/ BraveBUM

8/ The Magnificent Twelve ? Ride Again

9/ The Return of the Living Dead

10/ Lord of the Ride

Folkestone. All the guys are riding south picking up the rabble on the way. The majority of us are booked on the 9:20am train Sunday morning staying at a hotel close by Sat night if any tossers want to come and get :jager with us.

Not sure about the ferry. Will take a decision in Marocco.

Yes we do. Mine will be updated at www.motobimble.co.uk but requires me to find an internet cafe. Some of the other guys are taking an Spot which tracks them, I'm sure they'll post the links to their maps.

Richard

Where are you all staying on the Saturday night?? :nenau

The premier inn or something smaller?

Dates are fantastic for me as all the other events in the coming calender I am working :(

:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

:thumb
So where does it start now? and will you take that ferry from Casablanca to Dakar?

Some of us (myself included) are using automatic trackers which send our positions every 10 minutes of the day but for reasons of security it would not be wise to, as was originally planned, to post these on the net in real time.

You'll just have to wait to see where we have been rather than where we actually are I'm afraid. :(

I'll be posting my logs here.

:thumb

Some of us (myself included) are using automatic trackers which send our positions every 10 minutes of the day but for reasons of security it would not be wise to, as was originally planned, to post these on the net in real time.

You'll just have to wait to see where we have been rather than where we actually are I'm afraid. :(

I'll be posting my logs here.

Understand! :thumb2

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom