Israel Trip

uksno

Three of us are looking to do a round trip to Jerusalem anf back in 2011. Rather than recreate the wheel - has anyone done the trip and so has experience of routes, pitfalls, carne's ferries etc.
Steve

The only way to get to Israel is through Bulgaria, Turkey, Syria, Jordan. I think you know that there are not any boats from Greece or Turkey to Egypt or Israel. Actualy there are any but they are cargo or passenger where you are not aloud to travel with your bike as a luggage. In Bulgaria you shouldn't have any problems. The main roads are good. There are not road taxes for bikes. Gas cost about 1 eur. Be careful with the traffic cops. Turkey also is OK. Cops are not that much. Gas is expensive, about 3$. In Syria no road taxes, no cops, no problems. People are very friendly. Gas cost about 1$. Jordan is almost same as Syria. The worst moment in our trip were beeng on Syrian and Jordan borders. We spent about two hours on each. These borders are not definitely tourist destinations and the procedure for tourists is very heavy. We didn't get to Israel. The reason was that if once we get in Israel, the arabs wouldn't pass us back and the only way for you to get to Europe after that is to send you bike by cargo and your self by plane. We had strong disliked this plan so we went the same way back. Exept last facts our trip was great. Sorry for my poor English.

The only way to get to Israel is through Bulgaria, Turkey, Syria, Jordan. I think you know that there are not any boats from Greece or Turkey to Egypt or Israel. Actualy there are any but they are cargo or passenger where you are not aloud to travel with your bike as a luggage. In Bulgaria you shouldn't have any problems. The main roads are good. There are not road taxes for bikes. Gas cost about 1 eur. Be careful with the traffic cops. Turkey also is OK. Cops are not that much. Gas is expensive, about 3$. In Syria no road taxes, no cops, no problems. People are very friendly. Gas cost about 1$. Jordan is almost same as Syria. The worst moment in our trip were beeng on Syrian and Jordan borders. We spent about two hours on each. These borders are not definitely tourist destinations and the procedure for tourists is very heavy. We didn't get to Israel. The reason was that if once we get in Israel, the arabs wouldn't pass us back and the only way for you to get to Europe after that is to send you bike by cargo and your self by plane. We had strong disliked this plan so we went the same way back. Exept last facts our trip was great. Sorry for my poor English.

Nothing wrong with your English, easier to read than some of the natives:thumb2

This is probably an modern myth, but I understood that once you get an israel stamp in your passport then you have problems getting back into some arab countries (I'm guessing syria would fall into this category).

This is probably an modern myth, but I understood that once you get an israel stamp in your passport then you have problems getting back into some arab countries (I'm guessing syria would fall into this category).

You used to be able to obtain a second passport if traveling to Israel to avoid that sort of problem, i am not sure if it is still the case but a call to the homeoffice would anwser the question.

I had a freind who was a camera man for CNN and he had 3 seperate passports so he could keep visas for various countries seperate. So it was possible, just not sure it still is.

You used to be able to obtain a second passport if traveling to Israel to avoid that sort of problem, i am not sure if it is still the case but a call to the homeoffice would anwser the question.

I had a freind who was a camera man for CNN and he had 3 seperate passports so he could keep visas for various countries seperate. So it was possible, just not sure it still is.

You can ask not to have your passport stamped when you enter via the airport in case you are going to be travelling to a non-Israeli friendly country in the future.............but this is not much use if you are leaving via a land border becuase it will be pretty obvious you have been to Israel :D

Here are some pictures from Syria and Jordan.

Attachments

• P9191345.jpg
    P9191345.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 274
  • P9191376.jpg
    P9191376.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 271
  • P9221429.jpg
    P9221429.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 269
  • P9221432.jpg
    P9221432.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 252
  • P9181322.jpg
    P9181322.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 274
Thanks for the info

I haven't seen those panniers before have you got a link for them?

There is currently an issue going via Cyprus as they have cease all passenger ferries. - appreciate all the comments

Does anyone have experience on the practicalities of sorting Carne's etc?

Yes, those panniers are best after market solution. Thy are lighter and more usefull then the expensive aluminium panniers. On those cases this guy could carry even his wifes.:hug

Israeli Bimmer

Hi

My name is Nir and I live in Tel Aviv,Israel. I saw your thread just today…
If it's still relevant you can contact me any time for information about traveling to Israel.

I own a R80 GS BASIC and know almost every rout especially off-road.

I must say Israel is fascinating in every aspect I am sure u will find it interesting and breathtaking.

Best

Nir

Depends, someone I know got an extra passport for the same reason - but it depends on the country where the passport is being issued.

Casper

Your passport is no longer stamped. On entering/existing the border control you receive an ID/Visa card. You should keep this with your passport.

Attachments

• CFE42AC6-F8CE-482F-90C1-7A12017E0252.jpg
    CFE42AC6-F8CE-482F-90C1-7A12017E0252.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 100
If you will come to the wrong airport can happen

1556945048226c2eb864291b55930a02.jpg

If you will come to the wrong airport can happen

1556945048226c2eb864291b55930a02.jpg

That is the Ovda/IAF airport used during the holiday season. The new Ramon airport opened in January, dedicated only to civilian use.

Back
Top Bottom