Nuvi 550 power lead draining battery?

liam_dillon

Hi, i have a nuvi 550 which connects to the CAN bus. I made up the can cable from the instructions on this site, no dramas there. But i left the cable on the bike on Friday (no gps unit attached) and by Monday morning, the battery was dead!

I had a 2610 before and i wired that up and it was fine. I think the voltage converter (little black box on the cable) is drawing current and hence draining the battery.

Has anyone else had issues powering a nuvi 550? or is just my cable is bad?

ta,Liam:aidan

Maybe i should phase this a different way, for those with a GS and a nuvi550 connected vai CAN bus, can you tell me if it works ok please.

If so i need to send my cable back.
ta,
Liam

Hi, I have my 550 wired via the can bus skt under the front beak via a cable i bought from Nippy Normans and have had no problems so far .

:comfort Leaving the Vreg charger directly connected to electrical power will continue to draw and ultimately drain battery (same as earlier Quest units as I recall)

I spoke with the guys at Sawbridgeworth BMW and he said there were some coils in the box, which draw current contsantly... That would explain it but i find it hard to believe.

I'm going to test that theory now by removing cable from bike and wiring it up to an 12v PSU and measure it with an ampmeter.

hmm 3.5mA not enough to drain the battery for weeks...
Very odd.

Back
Top Bottom