Gore lockout thingy!

• Thread starter Deleted Member I
  • Start date
Well, I popped into the the Rukka shop today to check the newer gear out. It looks like there's a bit of a change going on in the range. The old top of the range (well, currently still top of the range, I suppose) is the Armas, and it's being discontinued. It has a Gore Lockout zip. The next one is the Armaxis, which as far as I can see is the same, except the inner jacket is a Gore Windstopper soft shell designed to be worn off the bike too, (the Armas has some kind of Outlast based inner) - and the Lockout zip has been replaced with a YKK Aquaseal zip. This is the same zip as is now used on at least the Klim Badlands.

There are a few older jackets still with the lockout zip - the Airway, Armas and Vauhti for men and the Air Y, Anna, Armi and Chrystal for women.

The other jackets just don't mention what the zips were, but they were not Gore lockout - they were metal and plastic construction, and like the Aquaseal had a baffle behind it, but not a storm flap. I don't know what make they are are, and it doesn't say on the website.

So my guess is they have given up on the lockout closure. Another quick check of various forums are full of people who have had major issues - I hope it stays that way for those of you that haven't had issues as of course it can't be changed for another type of zip.

I bought the Armaxis, I'll post back if I have any problems with the YKK zip

i bought my Rukka last year and have only had one time where the zip stuck and I had to undo the zip from the bottom. I now lubricate it every other month and have not had a problem since.

i bought my Rukka last year and have only had one time where the zip stuck and I had to undo the zip from the bottom. I now lubricate it every other month and have not had a problem since.

Our saga with the lockouts is now over. After the 3rd failure in 2 years on Mrs Berins Rukka they changed the lockout for a YKK aquaseal, and I bought a new Rukka with the YKK already fitted. Apparently as the new models are released they'll have the YKK zip and the lockout zip will be phased out

Thread revival at its best...

I recently acquired a Rukka jacket with a Gore Lockout zip. I'd like to replace it with a normal zip. Lockout seems to work fine but is very resistant when pulling, and getting it started is finicky - not preferable for a new-to-bikes passenger. Jacket is long out of warranty.

Local Rukka dealer suggested I bring it in to them to suss out if it can be sent to Rukka to have the zip replaced, possibly with a YKK Aquaseal zip. I daren't imagine the cost...

Local zip repairs place says they can replace the Gore Lockout zip with a normal-toothed water resistant zip (similar to YKK Aquaguard) for €40.

Collective opinion?

TIA. :thumb2

Mark

Thread revival at its best...

I recently acquired a Rukka jacket with a Gore Lockout zip. I'd like to replace it with a normal zip. Lockout seems to work fine but is very resistant when pulling, and getting it started is finicky - not preferable for a new-to-bikes passenger. Jacket is long out of warranty.

Local Rukka dealer suggested I bring it in to them to suss out if it can be sent to Rukka to have the zip replaced, possibly with a YKK Aquaseal zip. I daren't imagine the cost...

Local zip repairs place says they can replace the Gore Lockout zip with a normal-toothed water resistant zip (similar to YKK Aquaguard) for €40.

Collective opinion?

TIA. :thumb2

Mark

Had mine replaced with a YKK Aquseal zip. Zip alone was circa £100. Best quality tho.....

Contact Hideout Leather in the UK, who are usually very helpful and will maybe be able to help. I guess that there are some similar good quality / workmanship repair bods in the Republic, too?

I have never had the problems that some people encounter with the Gore Lockout zips. I simply used to keep the zip running freely with the tube of ‘non-sticky’ lubricant that came with the jacket. It worked fine. I think it’s the same stuff as they use on wet suit zips?

Mrs Berin (12k a year commuting) went through 2 lockout zips under warranty before having it replaced with YKK at LSR. Bear in mind you'll lose some material as the YKK ZIP needs a baffle.
Despite Wapping's protestations otherwise the lock out zips were crap, most people had problems with them, and they were quickly discontinued.

I am getting the Lockout zip replaced, no question. This one seems to work OK for now, but I'd rather eliminate the potential for failure in the future. But my main reason for replacement is that it's just fiddly to operate - I'd prefer zipping and unzipping the jacket to be familiar and easy for the wearer.

So my question was whether a generic water-resistant zipper - like the YKK Aquaguard (not YKK Aquaseal) - would be sufficient for a purely passenger application. My thinking having seen the zipper that the shop proposed is that it would be fine, and a lot cheaper and quicker than sending the jacket off to either Rukka or a UK-based expert. This was a second-hand jacket that I don't want to be spending much more money on. We may invest in an upgrade jacket in the future.

The absence of a baffle behind the new zip may be an issue, so I may ask the shop if they can sew in a baffle of waterproof material.

EDIT: Wap - this isn't the ArmaS I'm talking about. My mate Adam (Crunch) has that and I now have an Armaxis. This is an Anna jacket I got on here for a recently-acquired pillion... ;)

I don't think a waterproof zip is needed, Mrs Berin's wasn't. The only thing to consider is that LSR (probably Hideout too) are certified to work with Goretex, but that may not matter.

LSR are pretty quick, usually a week or so turn around if you pay a tenner for their "urgent" service.

I am getting the Lockout zip replaced, no question. This one seems to work OK for now, but I'd rather eliminate the potential for failure in the future. But my main reason for replacement is that it's just fiddly to operate - I'd prefer zipping and unzipping the jacket to be familiar and easy for the wearer.

So my question was whether a generic water-resistant zipper - like the YKK Aquaguard (not YKK Aquaseal) - would be sufficient for a purely passenger application. My thinking having seen the zipper that the shop proposed is that it would be fine, and a lot cheaper and quicker than sending the jacket off to either Rukka or a UK-based expert. This was a second-hand jacket that I don't want to be spending much more money on. We may invest in an upgrade jacket in the future.

The absence of a baffle behind the new zip may be an issue, so I may ask the shop if they can sew in a baffle of waterproof material.

EDIT: Wap - this isn't the ArmaS I'm talking about. My mate Adam (Crunch) has that and I now have an Armaxis. This is an Anna jacket I got on here for a recently-acquired pillion... ;)

Dont think the gore lockout zip is used anymore as its not a good design, I returned my jacket to the dealer saying the keep poping open which they did and the manufacturer replaced them for free.

Local Zip Yard removed the Gore Lockout zip and fitted a no-brand water resistant zipper. Very good job - at a glance or to the unfamiliar all looks as if it was standard. €40. Hope we never have to test just how water-resistant the new zip is, but I'll update when I know...

Local Zip Yard removed the Gore Lockout zip and fitted a no-brand water resistant zipper. Very good job - at a glance or to the unfamiliar all looks as if it was standard. €40. Hope we never have to test just how water-resistant the new zip is, but I'll update when I know...
I have a bust zip on a Givi tankbag...... I wonder could a zipyard sort that for me??

from my G8 ThinQ

Worth asking. Now that you mention it, the zip on my Givi GRT705 tank bag has also failed... I was going to give it to Kennedy's in Drogheda to get Givi to replace the zip (out of warranty), but might pop it into Zip Yard to ask if they could do it....

Worth asking. Now that you mention it, the zip on my Givi GRT705 tank bag has also failed... I was going to give it to Kennedy's in Drogheda to get Givi to replace the zip (out of warranty), but might pop it into Zip Yard to ask if they could do it....
I've sent an email with pictures of my bag to the local branch (Newbridge)......I'll let you know how it goes.

from my G8 ThinQ

Got a reply.......no, was the answer.

Suggested maybe a shoemaker might be equipped for the job.

from my G8 ThinQ

I expected a no. I thought their machines would struggle to accommodate the shape of a tank bag. Ah well... I might pop into my local(ish) Zip Yard in person with my tank bag for them to look at - passing by this Friday.

Which Givi bag have you got where the zip has failed?

ST602

Zip failed around the front right corner.

Basically, that's the new stopping point for the two zips

It's still functional but wouldn't be too secure off the bike carrying it by its handle.

from my G8 ThinQ

Swords Zip Yard say they can't work on the PVC/tarpaulin material of my GRT-705 tankbag. Off to Givi for out-of-warranty repair/replacement so... :blast

Swords Zip Yard say they can't work on the PVC/tarpaulin material of my GRT-705 tankbag. Off to Givi for out-of-warranty repair/replacement so... :blast
I brought mine into Megabikes......the lad's reckon Givi "might" just replace the bag.

Apparently, they are fairly good with warranty on their products.

from my G8 ThinQ

Back
Top Bottom