2008 GS 1200 I Cant Get Fuel Tank Back On ??

xGSTQ

Reaction score
Sounds daft I know...

I have removed the fuel tank on my 08 GSA 1200 and now cant get it to align correctly to put it back on.

I dont want to force it so im just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

Its roughly half a centimetre out.

Here is a picture I found

9641.jpg

I have pushed the tank hard up against the green circled bungs and i just cant get the red arrowed bolts to align with the frame..

I am at the stage of pulling my hair out because it really shouldnt be this hard, I have phoned BMW who said it should just slide back on and the only thing it tends to gat caught on is the air intake...

I have removed the air intake it is clear of everything, not catching on nothing yet it wont align... even if i force it its still 4mm out and wont take the bolt its just that fraction out.

My next alternative it to chuck it in the back of a van and drive it to a BMW garage and say "show me what im doing wrong"

driving me mad !!

Any one had a similar problem ?? or got any advice for me please ?

Cheers

Ped

Sounds daft I know...

I have removed the fuel tank on my 08 GSA 1200 and now cant get it to align correctly to put it back on.

I dont want to force it so im just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

Its roughly half a centimetre out.

Here is a picture I found

9641.jpg

I have pushed the tank hard up against the green circled bungs and i just cant get the red arrowed bolts to align with the frame..

I am at the stage of pulling my hair out because it really shouldnt be this hard, I have phoned BMW who said it should just slide back on and the only thing it tends to gat caught on is the air intake...

I have removed the air intake it is clear of everything, not catching on nothing yet it wont align... even if i force it its still 4mm out and wont take the bolt its just that fraction out.

My next alternative it to chuck it in the back of a van and drive it to a BMW garage and say "show me what im doing wrong"

driving me mad !!

Any one had a similar problem ?? or got any advice for me please ?

Cheers

Ped

Yes, I had the same issue. The rear left (as sat on the bike) was out the same amount as yours. To do it, I loosened off the opposite bolt and took that out. Then it was a bit of effort to put pressure on the rear of the tank pushing forwards, whilst at the same time turning the bolt into the hole. Took a bit of effort but got there in the end. Might be easier if you have someone to help.

Yes, I had the same issue. The rear left (as sat on the bike) was out the same amount as yours. To do it, I loosened off the opposite bolt and took that out. Then it was a bit of effort to put pressure on the rear of the tank pushing forwards, whilst at the same time turning the bolt into the hole. Took a bit of effort but got there in the end. Might be easier if you have someone to help.

Thanks for the fast response beemerman,

I managed to "force" the right side (as sitting on the bike) but ive tried forcing the left one, but it just wont grab the thread, and im putting some almighty force behind it ( 17st 6"2' force lol ) I now cant get the right side back in without it cross threading... surely it shouldn't be this hard ? should it ? ive had a few bikes and the tanks have been very easily to remove/replace yes the GS was easy to remove but its not very easy to get back on !!

im going to have another go tomorrow, so ill let you know how I get along.

Cheers

Ped

are you sure it's the right tank?

Yeah, it was fitted to the bike before I took it apart... as far as im aware it is the correct tank.. and its only out by half a centimetre so its not a huge amount.

Its the fact that there is no play, no catching on anything, no obstruction and the fact that im having to really "force" it to fit doesn't feel right at all.

im grabbing the main frame and pulling on it as hard as i can and its just not giving at all, the frame protectors were cracking and creaking when I was pulling them as hard as i could trying to lever the tank into alignment...

It came of easily enough, just wondering why it wont go back on right :eek

Long shot, make sure you haven't trapped the breather which causes the petrol fumes to create a vacuum in the tank and may distort it. If this is the case you will find it difficult to open the filler cap.

Try locating the hole with a piece of dowel first or a screwdriver wrapped in tape....and use a torch.

I had the same bother. If you can't get the bolt to bite even with the hole lined up, you've probably rounded the end of the thread trying to get it in.
If its cross threading then you def. need to dress the thread with a die to get it to bite.

Long shot, make sure you haven't trapped the breather which causes the petrol fumes to create a vacuum in the tank and may distort it. If this is the case you will find it difficult to open the filler cap.

filler caps not on m8

need to dress the thread with a die to get it to bite.

What is a die ?

I think I will try sticking a piece of dowel, that kinda makes sense...

I wont be taking the tank of again in a hurry, this is defiantly a 2 man job to get back on... very bad design how daft :blast

Yeah, it was fitted to the bike before I took it apart... as far as im aware it is the correct tank.. and its only out by half a centimetre so its not a huge amount.

Its the fact that there is no play, no catching on anything, no obstruction and the fact that im having to really "force" it to fit doesn't feel right at all.

im grabbing the main frame and pulling on it as hard as i can and its just not giving at all, the frame protectors were cracking and creaking when I was pulling them as hard as i could trying to lever the tank into alignment...

It came of easily enough, just wondering why it wont go back on right :eek

Just had another thought. There is a bracket which fits inside the Left hand hole on the tank which the bolt goes through. From memory there is a metal barrel which fits inside a rubber sheath. Mine had come off when I took the tank off, and the first time I tried to get the tank back on, the metal barrel had skewed, thereby making the hole offset to the thread. Its worth taking a look to make sure that bracket is fitting correctly otherwise it will do what you are describing.

What is a die ?

A die is a tool for cutting (or re dressing) the thread on a bolt.

If you're going to be taking stuff apart you'll be needing a set of taps and die's before long.

Attachments

• die.jpg
    die.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 177
Just had another thought. There is a bracket which fits inside the Left hand hole on the tank which the bolt goes through. From memory there is a metal barrel which fits inside a rubber sheath. Mine had come off when I took the tank off, and the first time I tried to get the tank back on, the metal barrel had skewed, thereby making the hole offset to the thread. Its worth taking a look to make sure that bracket is fitting correctly otherwise it will do what you are describing.

Mine fell on the floor too, i did pay attention to that bracket when putting it back on, it seems to align correctly and there is a little play in the bung too, thats how I got the right side back on by forcing the bracket + bung over to the right..

A die is a tool for cutting (or re dressing) the thread on a bolt.

If you're going to be taking stuff apart you'll be needing a set of taps and die's before long.

I guess ill be investing in some of those :bounce1

The two rubber bungs at the front, the tank doesn't just sit on them the bungs overlap the outer parts if that makes sense. I'm guessing the overlap on the bung has folded over which would give you that 1/2cm you talk about.

I replaced the GS tank with the GSA one on mine and had that issue. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom