Ten reasons why the 2006 1200 GSA is a bag of shit

I take it you've moved out of the salubrious and comfortable Palace Hotel in UB into some grotty squalid bunkhouse where they won't do your laundry and that's what's changed your mood ?? :augie

Remember dear old Austin's mantra "the adventure starts when your bike won't !!"

There's a possible solution on it's way... Don't moan too much about German engineering... Your knight in shining armour might be a German !! :augie and Mr Steppenfuchs might withdraw his assistance if you "diss" the Germans anymore !! :D

Dude...I do sympathise. I broke down 3 times in one trip and was ready to push the thing off the Millau bridge (but then again it was an Aprilia).

If you're in Cali - go visit Motolombia (bikers stop/BnB). They will also be able to help with your woes.

One day you'll look back at your troubles and laugh....:beerjug:

Most of your points are not only applicable to 2006 models....however, as much as it grieves me to say...deep breath...this 1200 on a 17k mile trip last year had no issues and can be seen here playing in Mongolia...perhaps it was lucky, perhaps not:nenau

615848857_hPGvs-XL.jpg

[Hijack - on]
Please excuse the off-post query.... but was that perhaps an Aerotrim screen deflector on your screen...?

Seems only the mountings left... :augie

[Hijack - off]

an old military saying that sums this rant up pretty well, 'Poor Preparation leads to PISS POOR performance':thumb2

i'm sure all the boys and hairy girls in iraq/afghanistan agree with that, but he is talking about a motorbike that is advertised as a RTW machine and in their, BuMW, words 'unstoppable' so has every right to be slightly miffed, even if that makes him slightly naieve.....:augie

we'll see what he changes it for when he gets back:D

[Hijack - on]
Please excuse the off-post query.... but was that perhaps an Aerotrim screen deflector on your screen...?

Seems only the mountings left... :augie

[Hijack - off]

Not my bike mate, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole:thumb

Had an 1150GS..great machine...know lots of folks with the 1100...they love em too.....

the 2006 GSA is a bag of crap because (in no particular order)

(ps I own one...and am sick to the teeth of it)

1) EWS fails!.... nuff said.... can happen any time anywhere.....for no reason....happened me on the border of Colombia and ecuador...thats it...600 bucks in a truck to Cali

True - if I was going to Colombia/Ecuador, I'd have taken a spare.

2) Throttle position sensor location.... tourtech make a fortune making accessories for BMW because they've a crap design....

Is this a common failure? Can't say I've come across it.

3) Vitamol for clutch fluid...and oh yeah if you put in dot3/4 the seals leak....now for the bike you can take anywhere supposedly...do you think you can get Vitamol anywhere? you can in your hole!!! Someone should find the gobshite who came up with this beaut and say to him...ok..now your in Mongolia...go find some vitamol (I happen to be in mongolia looking for vitamol!)

That's only because you don't understand what it is. Any light mineral oil/hydraulic oil would have sufficed in extremis. If I was going to Mongolia I would have looked into these things. As I'm an engineer, I suppose I already knew.

4) Final drive.... currently running at about 2000 bucks worth of repairs to my final drive...yep I'm a fat bastard so this may be my fault....

Yes - agree - not all of them were good....

5) The poxy seat... unless your a leprechan your arse end dangles between the gap...and you have to keep WD40'ing the catch to get the seat off...what the hell was wrong with the old seat? one piece...came off handy pandy

In 60-odd thousand miles of 1200 GSing, I've never had to sink to the levels of the shite called WD40. A little light oil at service, perhaps......and I must be a leprechaun.

6) The headlight...try and change it without breaking the assembly!... i dare ya.... I know guys who really know there stuff who've done this...another 250 bucks out of you sky rocket

Yes - I've changed them often enough. But it would seem I'm not a gorilla.
7) The CANBUS... try and pump up the tires using the electric socket beyond 30psi...the canbus says screw you on account of the current load....

RTFM. It tells you that the max load is 5A. Either get a compressor which draws less than this, or rewire the socket direct to the battery with a bigger fuse. Again, if I was going to Mongolia.......

8) Add basically any electrical component, gps, etc...CANBUS kicks you in the nuts

Nuts? Bollocks more like. If you have half-a-clue what you're doing, adding accessories is easy-peasy. Mine has spots, horns, GPS, Autocom etc etc. But hey - don't let ignorance get in the way of a good rant! Cars have only had canbus for about fifteen years.........
9) Fuel gauge / Range monitor...about as good as a chocolate firegaurd....never work..not just on my bike others too....don't put em on there if they dont work

Agreed - they could be better. I use it as a general guide only.

10) No dumb dumb switch on overheating....and they overheat like a whores bastard in a hot climate in a city

You've got me there - I haven't a clue what a 'dumb dumb' switch is.

11) How the hell do you take off the hand spoilers? what tool is that? do you have one in your kit? like would you bring one with you to Mongolia?

If I was going to Mongolia, I'd take the correct tools.

12) Battery drops below 12V..the bike is fubar...totally fubar....stops working completely

Not sure what you mean. Running accessories without the engine running, perhaps? Common sense would dictate otherwise, of course.......

13) No overvoltage protection to jump it off a car....none do...but this is the bike that supposed to go anywhere..what the hell do you do if you get a flat battery...(always park uphill?)

How do you get overvoltage when you connect one 12V system to another 12V system? Baffles me.......more bulllshit.

14) Piston head protection bars aren't worth a shite compared to the 1150
Yes - the 1150 ones almost caused me to crash spectacularly when they touched down mid-corner. Shite was the word which came to mind.

15) Just way too many specialized tools, electrics, etc....for a bike that will end up in remote conditions you can't fucking fix it.

Yes, the A/F spanners no longer fit, do they?

oh dear lrd....someone had a go a your pride and joy. go read Oisin's ride reports and then you might understand where he's coming from....a total meachanical novice (my opinon) that has fucked off around the world and is doing it..so he makes a few complaints...he aint crying like half the others on here....ranting yes but i believe he means it as usual with his excellent sense of humour...so chill or get back in the henhouse...

Had an 1150GS..great machine...know lots of folks with the 1100...they love em too.....

the 2006 GSA is a bag of crap because (in no particular order)

(ps I own one...and am sick to the teeth of it)

1) EWS fails!.... nuff said.... can happen any time anywhere.....for no reason....happened me on the border of Colombia and ecuador...thats it...600 bucks in a truck to Cali

2) Throttle position sensor location.... tourtech make a fortune making accessories for BMW because they've a crap design....

3) Vitamol for clutch fluid...and oh yeah if you put in dot3/4 the seals leak....now for the bike you can take anywhere supposedly...do you think you can get Vitamol anywhere? you can in your hole!!! Someone should find the gobshite who came up with this beaut and say to him...ok..now your in Mongolia...go find some vitamol (I happen to be in mongolia looking for vitamol!)

4) Final drive.... currently running at about 2000 bucks worth of repairs to my final drive...yep I'm a fat bastard so this may be my fault....

5) The poxy seat... unless your a leprechan your arse end dangles between the gap...and you have to keep WD40'ing the catch to get the seat off...what the hell was wrong with the old seat? one piece...came off handy pandy

6) The headlight...try and change it without breaking the assembly!... i dare ya.... I know guys who really know there stuff who've done this...another 250 bucks out of you sky rocket

7) The CANBUS... try and pump up the tires using the electric socket beyond 30psi...the canbus says screw you on account of the current load....

8) Add basically any electrical component, gps, etc...CANBUS kicks you in the nuts

9) Fuel gauge / Range monitor...about as good as a chocolate firegaurd....never work..not just on my bike others too....don't put em on there if they dont work

10) No dumb dumb switch on overheating....and they overheat like a whores bastard in a hot climate in a city

11) How the hell do you take off the hand spoilers? what tool is that? do you have one in your kit? like would you bring one with you to Mongolia?

12) Battery drops below 12V..the bike is fubar...totally fubar....stops working completely

13) No overvoltage protection to jump it off a car....none do...but this is the bike that supposed to go anywhere..what the hell do you do if you get a flat battery...(always park uphill?)

14) Piston head protection bars aren't worth a shite compared to the 1150

15) Just way too many specialized tools, electrics, etc....for a bike that will end up in remote conditions you can't fucking fix it.

WAS: BMW's are great, bikes built to take you anywhere; they'll never let you down = 1150/1100

IS: BMW's are overpriced bags of fuckstory; they will fuck you at your most vulneralbe = 1200

Yeah I know thats 15 reasons!.....

Comments on a postcard please.

After that advert mate, I'll give you £995 for it. :thumb2

The amp limit on the accessory socket is due to the pathetically thin cabling used and not due to the CANBUS itself. The bus is just a data cable that the bikes electronic modules use to send and receive data.

The 5 amps at 12 volts is the trip threshold programmed into the system because the designers reckoned (wrongly IMHO) that 5 amps is sufficient for owners use.

I dare say they were smart-arsed car design engineers and not winter riders with heated clothing or tyre inflation compressors etc.

Who said BMW' are bland......:toungincheek

At least it's a challenge:eek

Also just remembered why I have not logged on for the last 9 months.....due to moaning fecks like this guy.

Citroen Suspension fluid is the same stuff as the clutch fluid.....;)

and lots of manufacturers use it instead of DOT fluids in clutch applications....a certain Orange one for a start:D

Oisin,

If you are still looking for Aral Vitamol ZH-M hydraulic fluid, you could try a Meredes Benz dealership.

Hydraulic fluid 400ml: Mercedes part#A 000 989 91 03 10

The punishment your bike takes would probably highlight problems on any bike. I think the first year of any bike is always a risky buy as yours is but it could also have happened on a newer bike. Bottom line is shit happens, deal with it and continue your adventure:thumb2

it's a shame you are having the problems you list perhaps the 1200 is too 'sophisticated' for what you are doing with it:comfort maybe you should take a leaf out of austin vance's book and use a bike that is simple.
Me i am sticking with my 1100:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom