Ok, I piggin give in..who's up for a proper fords ride???

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm not going to get any over the weekend unless I do one, so I'll be coming out of fording retirement for this Hograost to run another fords ride :blast

(I put a very half hearted post up a week or so ago just so I could say 'I've posted it dear, nobody's interested' but I've been rumbled :augie)

I'll post some piccies in the next few mins, but they are usually slightly more fun that watching paint dry, less painful than a hardcore offroad ride and people have been known to have a giggle occasionally :rob

further details to come as i find my old GDB files and some pics, but as long as there are a few people who want to do it, it's on :thumb2

fanumMedium.jpg

A couple of threads from previous year's Hugmoist fords rides....

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111423&highlight=fords

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190930&highlight=fords

Route is only approximately 90 miles, but if you'd like to come, PLEASE START THE RIDE WITH A FULL TANK!

Route and fords should be fine for road tyres and bike bikes, including pillions (I'll be two up) and there are dry routes/ways around the fords if there's one you particularly don't fancy.

Cameras are a must.

We'll be using the drop-off system, as we have to go through some towns and lots of little turnings in lanes, but I'll do a full brief before we set off.

There will be a pub lunch approx half way around.

The pace will be 'Bimble+', as it's a nice day out with a few giggles, a social thing rather than a race...if you want to go fast or show off, this isn't for you ;)

We'll be leaving the carpark at approx 10.30, but I'll be gobbing off loudly in plenty of time to gather people up before that, so please listen out and let me know if you're coming

We'll be back in plenty of time for the hogroast itself (i'll cut it short if we're getting on a bit, or add another one if we'll be back too early)

:beerjug:

Route is only approximately 90 miles, but if you'd like to come, PLEASE START THE RIDE WITH A FULL TANK!

If only to increase the chances of some good photos:augie
:D

John.......a couple of years ago, we did the millpond/stream one , and as it's one you can't walk (its too bloody long..you ride in, ride along 300m, then exit around the edges of a mill pond that's VERY deep) people were asking me how deep it was.....

I waved my hands around in front of me, indicating about a foot or so, and It turned out to be an 'interesting' ride through....an inch below the level of a GS air intake IIRC.....(you can ride water that's about 6 inches deeper if you know how, but thats another story ;)

I've given up trying to estimate depth.....we walk all (bar that one) first and I'll go through it first so people know.....if it's above knee height, we don't do it.

In the briefing, I will make it very clear that you can KILL your GS if you drop it, drown it and try and start it again without clearing the water, and if/when someone does drop a bike in the wet stuff, we'll all pull it out, pull the plugs and sort it before risking trying anything.

That said, riding through fords isn't for those who are ever-so precious about their bikes or don't appreciate the risks.

Its a fekking good giggle though :D

We're just about on a drought up here, hence the lack of depth of Winster. The first ford ride I ever did, when it was nearer the depth in the piccy in the link :eek: Some entertainment for the watchers then :D the fords this year should be relatively low, but will the lack of water make them slippier?

We're just about on a drought up here, hence the lack of depth of Winster. The first ford ride I ever did, when it was nearer the depth in the piccy in the link :eek: Some entertainment for the watchers then :D the fords this year should be relatively low, but will the lack of water make them slippier?

Unlikely on these ones...nearly all are gravel bottomed trout stream type fords, rather than the rocky algae covered ones we get in Wales :thumb2

For a 'beginner's fording day', I'd have to say this is the best out of all the events I've run fords rides out of......it's not particularly challenging, but it's good fun and the ride is nice too.

:)

With you on the rally bike with it's suspension set so high your little hairy Welsh leggies don't even touch the ground, I look forwards to seeing you take the shortest route across the millpond :augie

With you on the rally bike with it's suspension set so high your little hairy Welsh leggies don't even touch the ground, I look forwards to seeing you take the shortest route across the millpond :augie

He he. I'm doing the offroad ride.:p

But can say I've done several Ford rides with Bill and it's great fun....either do it, or bimble around Hampshire on your adventure bike, stopping occasionally for ice creams:thumb:hide

is that last picture at Moreton ?

No, just checked.

This is moreton. With a very nice cafe the other side, where you can sit and have lunch while the bikes that have been pulled out can dry .

Why are all the vultures at the far side?

Thats where the deep part is. See the bike stuck at the far side, that's tim cullis who tried to take the long route to avoid the "hole". He sunk, that's him pushing the bike out. :D

John.......a couple of years ago, we did the millpond/stream one , and as it's one you can't walk (its too bloody long..you ride in, ride along 300m, then exit around the edges of a mill pond that's VERY deep) people were asking me how deep it was.....

I waved my hands around in front of me, indicating about a foot or so, and It turned out to be an 'interesting' ride through....an inch below the level of a GS air intake IIRC.....(you can ride water that's about 6 inches deeper if you know how, but thats another story ;)

I've given up trying to estimate depth.....we walk all (bar that one) first and I'll go through it first so people know.....if it's above knee height, we don't do it.

In the briefing, I will make it very clear that you can KILL your GS if you drop it, drown it and try and start it again without clearing the water, and if/when someone does drop a bike in the wet stuff, we'll all pull it out, pull the plugs and sort it before risking trying anything.

That said, riding through fords isn't for those who are ever-so precious about their bikes or don't appreciate the risks.

Its a fekking good giggle though :D

You forgot to mention the bike breaking down on the exit and the traffic jam through the mangrove swamp:D

I'm no biking god but I really enjoyed that day:cool:

If I recall a 600 Diversion did every ford that day:bow

and the sidecar outfit was amazing:D

If you don't fancy driving the ford you don't have to:comfort:D just sit back and watch

Back
Top Bottom