Ukraine - Chernobyl tour - Transfagarasan highway

The reactor has been sealed recently. Don't know if work has been started to remove the radio active material but if so then there will be more traffic and restricted areas. The area might still be a no-go but from what I understand you have to stick to the roads and there is some exposure and decontamination protocols to adhere. If you search the net there is a girl on a Black Bird that visited the place and written a blog. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt going there. You can ride through to Belarus in the exclusion zone and then head west to pick up the motorway at Warsaw if time is tight.

in brasov .... and here was me home alone , no supervising wife and a fridge full of beer! ukraine - you need to watch the speed or it will get expensive...

I thought you were here until Sunday as in leaving for somewhere on Sunday :blast

My original idea was to stay further south but I had my latest brain fart and decided to cut across on the 73c then north on the 73 not realising firstly how slow I'd be on the 73c and secondly how many roadworks there were on the 'main route'. I should have been past Brasov by 3pm and hopefully 100 miles further north by the time I stopped but by the time I got to Brasov I gave up, sat on the floor by the bike and hit booking.com

I've been behaving all the time I've been away but the Romanian drivers don't seem too fussed about the speed limit in villages and I've yet to see a speed trap away from the main routes. I'll be careful in Ukraine because I don't want them hitting my wallet any harder than the new radiator hit it.

I'm not expecting to actually have time to do any kind of tour but it gives me a vague idea of somewhere to aim for then I'll see what happens when I get there. I did think of going on through to Belarus but apparently it can't be done even though as an EU citizen I can visit for 5 days with no visa. Not to worry, I'll go somewhere else then :D

Sneak over border after dark? Can't get in the country from Ukraine so I'll just visit western Ukraine for a day after deciding to sack the Chernobyl idea after consultation with someone else who rode there and got fucked around over a visit.

My plans are always flexible and I'm booked into a hotel in Satu Mare tonight, I'm currently supping a £0.57 pint after using booking.com to find somewhere. It's about 30 minutes from hicksville where I'm having the beer so an easy ride 🍺

Well it's all been a bit varied but I'm still in the right region so I'll post this here.

I toddled off to the Ukraine border this morning and they gave me what's best described as the bums rush for having no green card and they only sell insurance at certain crossings. Oh really? We'll stick it then.

I then made a mad dash through Hungary, Slovakia and Poland so I'm now in a hotel just outside Lublin and very nice it is too but riding here was hard work because of road works all over the place.

I looked at a map when I arrived and thought hey, I can pop into Belarus on a 5 day visa but they blew me out as well with their stupid 48 hours in advance for a visa rule so I'm off to Lithuania in the morning so that I can satisfy my need to visit at least one new country every time I have a random trip like this one.

Kaunas or Vilnius? I've only got a short time there because it's a long way back to catch my ferry from the Hook on Saturday night but if I spank it I can probably be in Kaunas for 4pm then leave at lunchtime on Thursday 😀

Error or not?

Back
Top Bottom