Who has the highest milage F650 GS twin ?

88120 miles on a 61 plate, still running sweet as a nut (I'm only responsible for about 4000 of those miles in the past 3 months)

If that happens to be a dark blue one, that was in Mitchells in Inverness, I know the 1st owner well and a bit of the machine history :eek:

Hope it's as reliable for you as it was in the last year that the previous owner had it ;)

SteveT

:cool:

Steve, that's the very same bike, high mileage but your mate looked after it well. Any horror stories I should know

OK, I know it's an 800, but it's the same engine ...

116,000 miles on my 2008 F800GS :p

:beerjug:

. . . . Any horror stories I should know
In the last 12 months that he had it (covered by a free, extended warranty from BMW) he didn't have any problems . . . . . . . however, the 1st 2 years of ownership saw several brake calipers & disc's changed, the stator defo was changed & possibly the reg/rec as well.

The bike took him all round Britain (several times :D), all of Ireland :aidan and a good bit of Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway :thumb. It never, to my knowledge, let him down ;) :thumb2, but after the debacle he had with his previous BM - a R1200RT that not even BMW could sort out the final problem he had with it :eek: - he has returned to Honda for his mega mileage exploits.

I was ready to buy the F650 from him, such was my confidence in it, but I found a really nice one before he was ready to move on.

I'm sure the bike will see you right :thumb2

SteveT

So far so good, I do a daily 70 mile commute and today I'm just back from a 190 mile round trip, up to John O groats and back via Forsinard

Your mates old GS is still going strong. Over 109000 on the clock now

Excellent - Next time I see him for a chat I'll let him know :thumb

He's onto his second NC700/750X now. The 1st rolled close to 100k miles and his latest (about 12 months old now) is surely following in the high mileage tracks of all his other machines :bow

SteveT

One of the first ones in the country, March 2008.
Just short of 40 k when I sold it this year. Sadly it had grown too tall for me in my old age....
Around 70 to the gallon.
EWS went awol early days. Known problem. Promptly sorted by the wonderful Bristol Motorrad.
Shipped it out to Australia after 5k in the first year. 6k in 6 weeks. Only problem was remembering to put petrol in every 250 miles.
BMW kindly donated new chain and sprockets under recall at 15k. Regularly sprayed with Wurth dry lube and never needed adjusting before I sold it. Would never go near a Scottoiler again after previous experience.
New battery last year. Annual oil change, one new spark plug and that’s it.
Foresight is a wonderful thing. If I’d had it and bought a low chassis version, I might never have changed the bike.
Mind you, the 700gs is an aesthetic improvement, but I never felt the need for the extra weight of a second disc.

The 650GS's a Great reliable bike, I've had 2 of them so far. I've been everywhere on mine, and it has not let me down once. Ages ago the Stator was replaced. Love it to bits and it wants for nothing. It gets serviced like clockwork.
I've replaced the shocks and exhaust and put a Lithium battery on it.

'08 model with 119602 on the clock.

Its a working bike though, I commute everywhere on it.

ferrol.

One of the first ones in the country, March 2008.
Just short of 40 k when I sold it this year. Sadly it had grown too tall for me in my old age....
Around 70 to the gallon.
EWS went awol early days. Known problem. Promptly sorted by the wonderful Bristol Motorrad.
Shipped it out to Australia after 5k in the first year. 6k in 6 weeks. Only problem was remembering to put petrol in every 250 miles.
BMW kindly donated new chain and sprockets under recall at 15k. Regularly sprayed with Wurth dry lube and never needed adjusting before I sold it. Would never go near a Scottoiler again after previous experience.
New battery last year. Annual oil change, one new spark plug and that’s it.
Foresight is a wonderful thing. If I’d had it and bought a low chassis version, I might never have changed the bike.
Mind you, the 700gs is an aesthetic improvement, but I never felt the need for the extra weight of a second disc.

Your old bike I believe Keethy. Still loved.

Attachments

• 49C8D6AA-B5D4-4734-8F4E-5E537DE5FF9E.jpg
    49C8D6AA-B5D4-4734-8F4E-5E537DE5FF9E.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 360
All these stories of high mileage F650"s make me excited for the miles ahead on my low mile (7000 km when i got it) 2008 Canadian model last year. It needed a new beak as it was dumped by its previous owner, who then let it sit for a few years. 10 years in fact! I have managed to more than double that Smileage with 17,066 in its first season. Old silver fuel pump controller stranded me... There's a new black one on it now, and I used the wire harness to build a fuel pump bypass for "the next time". Be seeing you out there!

Back
Top Bottom