Photos of the new G650GS

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After all the talk of a 650 single revival here a link to some photos.

BMW seem to believe they're onto a winning streak by keeping the overall styling of all the GS range under a theme which IMO is a shame instead of focusing on the practical side of things.

What we want is the equivalent of a KTM 640ADV:clap, Yamaha have tried a nasty copy with the Teneres and BMW just more of the 'same old':blast

Anyway here's the link:
http://blog.vinesbmwbikes.co.uk/2010/10/new-bmw-650gs.html

After all the talk of a 650 single revival here a link to some photos.

BMW seem to believe they're onto a winning streak by keeping the overall styling of all the GS range under a theme which IMO is a shame instead of focusing on the practical side of things.

What we want is the equivalent of a KTM 640ADV:clap, Yamaha have tried a nasty copy with the Teneres and BMW just more of the 'same old':blast

Anyway here's the link:
http://blog.vinesbmwbikes.co.uk/2010/10/new-bmw-650gs.html

Looks like a cross between and F650GS and a F650GS Twin.......................:blast

just slightly restyled the old one i get what you are saying Tim they should have got a bit more radical with it.

Nice to see the return of such a good bike (do you think there'll a Dakar version again?). Shame they simply cobbleled the design to incorperate parts from the G650Xc and the 650 twin.

I'm with Tim. A bit more thought on the design front and they would have put it right into the market it best suites.

Val.

I don't see any parts from the X range or the twins. All this bike is is the old GS with a new set of plastics. It's a simple restyle and sold at a bargain price because they're flogging a "new" bike and saving themselves the cost of R&D. This is not a new bike, it's cheap marketing of an old bike. This is not the G650 engine, this is a rebuild of the old single. Think from BMWs perspective. Develop a new engine for a budget single or pick up the phone to Rotax and order a new line of that perfectly sound engine that you stopped using for no good reason to replace with a conceptually flawed 800 parallel twin masquerading as a 650 single because you wrongly believe the buying public will want what you want them to want because you want them to want it.
If by a match to the KTM 640ADV you mean you want this one to be hopelessly unreliable i think you're likely to be disappointed. If you want a good performance offroad then the X-range is as close as you're going to get from BMW. They have a totally different outlook from KTM which is the reason i buy them. KTM are simply nice suspension bolted to a ticking timebomb of an engine with maintenance costs higher then an aging supermodel. BMW are reliable and economical. You pay your money and you take your choice.

If by a match to the KTM 640ADV you mean you want this one to be hopelessly unreliable i think you're likely to be disappointed. If you want a good performance offroad then the X-range is as close as you're going to get from BMW. They have a totally different outlook from KTM which is the reason i buy them. KTM are simply nice suspension bolted to a ticking timebomb of an engine with maintenance costs higher then an aging supermodel. BMW are reliable and economical. You pay your money and you take your choice.

:jes I'll have a pint of whatever you're on:beerjug:

a nice looking bike great colour schemes :thumb2 fits into the BMW fleet nicely :thumb2
the engine is a well proven single, I guess slightly less power to fit into new learner restriction laws :nenau

Some nice pics on here, I'm not 100% sure why, but to me it looks far far better than the F650GS!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/eicma-2010/2011-bmw/

For example; the exhaust is way more sophisticated, the rack is neater that the F650GS black one, the black "panels" on the side of the tank look better than the sad expanse of painted plastic on the F650GS. (Notice that the fantastic looking F800GS has black side panels there).
(Also improvements such as the black fork lower legs)

I wish I could buy one before the VAT increase ( I've been told that's sadly impossible). I also wish there was a wire wheel option.

Still waiting for the prices though.

bmw-g650gs-left-rear.jpg

I'm even more glad I kept my Dakar. I knew I was doing the right thing. Don't need to buy one of these, and I have an up to date single still :)

I had chance to examine one in the USA and it looks fantastic "in the flesh".
I particularly like the treatment of the exhausts and the whole seat unit. Much neater than the F 650GS. I can envisage ordering one too if the test ride proves fun. ( Though my brother once owned a GPZ 500 and I recall hating rides on that , it was gutless and made a horrid whining sound!)

I havent been on a bike for 6 years and I'm hoping this will be "fit for purpose !"

I bought one of the new G650GS's a couple of weeks ago. Just had it in for its 600 mile service. Very nice it is too.

I opted for the taller screen, hand protectors, heated grips and panniers (although I'm still waiting for the pannier frames as BMW in Germany don't have any). Didnt opt for ABS.

A lot of parts from the old F650GS and Dakar will fit. I got a used center stand and springs for £20, had it powder coated for £15 and bought some new stainless nuts, bolts and washers. Dealer fitted it for me FOC. Also got an ally bash plate for £15 and polished it up.

Got to agree there ... the 'new' G650GS is really only a parts bin special reincarnation of the old F650GS :nenau

:beerjug:

Slow thing .... looking good mate and worth the wait..

Sorry for mixing up your gender :hide

:beerjug:

Very nice, I had a look at the red one at the MCN show, low seat & low suspension.
It seems lighter than the old model, is that correct?

Heres one of My Sertao with new clutch lol

Attachments

• photo 8small.JPG
    photo 8small.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 402

Back
Top Bottom