Scooters in the Sahara the saga continues

Dennis

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
You've read the book...now star in the DVD !

On tuesday 16th November I fly out to Gambia to check on the Scooters in the Sahara Project. As most of you know this is a project started back in 2005 by Fannum, we then did a re-run in 2007/8 but cancelled last years due to problem in Mauritania.

The plan is to try to get together 8-10 riders/drivers for trip in March 2011. It is the lateest we can run due to weather/flight implications. I have chap who will travel down with us on a 650GS filming in HD video to make a DVD which will then be sold through Cotswold Outdoor stores nationwide in aid of the Scoots project.

At this stage I'm just looking to get a feel of how many if any, people might be interested. You would need to aquire a 12volt Honda C90 and prepare it to pass an MOT ( just so we know it is unlikely to fall to bits as mine did on the last run !) Your overall budget for the trip which is likely to be approx 4 weeks duration (possibly a couple of day less) will be around the £1500 mark, maybe a little more depending on flight prices at the time.

You can email me on dennis@scootersinthesahara.co.uk or dennis@oldgrumpy.me.uk or contact me on 07971 169189 or 01558 659785 but not until I get back on 29th November.
:dragon

I like this idea. I was meant to have participated in this January's Calum's Road trip but had to pull out at the last minute due to the weather at home.

I'm not saying yet whether I'll go or not, since I don't want to say "I'm in" now and then later say I'm not going, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Thanks Dennis.

Dennis - You can count on me for support - not sure I can do it at the moment due to work situation, but I'm certainly interested.....

Maybe time for another chat in the office......

Planning weekend?

:augie

Top man ...

... Dennis, happy to provide any sort of support but sadly won't be able to participate on this one, unless I win the lottery !

I do however have two C90's in my garage should anyone be interested :augie

Anyone considering it, just do it. :D (although i must admit going straight back to bed after taking the picture)

14vqz38.jpg

Good on ya Dennis and seriously - Thank You for your determination.

I'm definitely IN! :bounce1

Well that brought a few out of the woodwork.!

Good to see there still is some enthusiam out there. As many of you know its been a bit of a tough year for me personally this year and I'm just about to leave home in the morning for the Remembrance Service in London where Alison & I will receive Sam's Elizabeth Cross; a moment of great pride but of course also immense sadness.

I have today also completed procedures for the liquidation of my company so I come back from Gambia in a couple of weeks jobless and potless !!!! So I guess from here the only way is up eh?

I know March is a little short notice but it is about the latest we can get a flight home again and I beleive it i doable and yes Ian, the plan is of course to take the "proper" route. Not least it will hopefully keep us away from those nasty men with guns AND stop us from camping in another mine field.

If the "Scoots Central Office" is indeed once again foolishly being offered by Cal & Dan I feel it would be churlish not to accept their hospitality. Once I get back on the 29th Nov I'll post an update on the position and talk to Dan about convenient dates possibly 11/12 Dec? or alternatively soon after Chrissy.
And many thanks to all who have posted so far.:hug

Dennis- you can count on it:thumb2

I'll call you.

Thinking of you, and feeling your pride for Sam.

Dennis, all the very best with this venture, I really wish I could join you. Put me down for the next one in 5 years time, by then I hope to be retired and will have the time :thumb

Dennis

When we were down in The Gambia in February this year, we called into Bansang Hospital and had a look at the Scoots. The maintenance people are trying very hard to keep the scoots running well to the best of their ability but they really struggle with getting decent spares for them. Even simple things like spark plugs are very hard to obtain and they end up using dodgy Nigerian/Chinese parts that are very poor quality.

Can I respectfully suggest that as well as taking more bikes down, we try to get a supply of spares for the existing bikes. I would be more than happy to buy some of the required genuine Honda spares and donate them to the project ie a couple of boxes of genuine NGK spark plugs.

As I think you are aware, they gave us a very long list of spares required which I still have. The bikes I examined were all suffering with worn out bearings and inadequate tyres etc. I spoke to one of the doctors and he told me how valuable the bikes were in getting to sick patients out in the bush.

I had hoped to get back to The Gambia myself for the official opening of Calum's Road in mid December but it looks very unlikely now. I would love to join in the March 2011 trip but too early to confirm at this stage.

Re Honda C90s. I have four in my workshop (that belong to a friend of Proff's) and I'm rebuilding all of them at the moment so I'm learning a lot about exactly how these little bikes are put together having stripped four engines and chassis.

If I was able to get down in March, I might be able to stick around and help service their existing fleet of bikes.

Please put me down to help in every which way that I can.:)

Welcome Tom ...

... I know you'll have a hoot on this trip, as long as you don't mind some demented old git trying to get you up at sparrow-fart :augie

As to the two C90's Ive got tucked away, I un-tucked them this morning and after a few prods with the foot, off they went; not bad considering they've been stood for a year :thumb

There are a few job's to be done on one of them but they're fairly straightforward to work on, once I get the time :blast

Back
Top Bottom