Alarm removal.. What to do once the darn thing is in the bin?

Hairy Ben

Reaction score
Wotcha. :)

The alarm on my 2002 1150GS karked it a few days ago (The alarm itself being the BMW standard fit jobby).. Completely immobilised bike, nice smell of burning, fizz pop fuse, etc etc.. And after a shufti through the threads on here regarding alarms in general, the consensus seeming to be rip it ahht and throw it as far as you can, that is what I've wound up doing.

Which is all well and good. But..

Having disconnected all the wires and connecters from the alarm to the bike I'm still left with a bike I cannot start. :rolleyes:

The initial problem of it blowing the RID/auxillary power socket 15amp fuse is fine now, and the bike reacts just like it should up to the point where I'd normally press the button on the keyfob to deactivate the immobiliser, something I obviously can't do anymore being as the reciever is on the floor next to the bike. But that's as far as I can get.

Now, electrics are a bit black-magic/voodoo to me, but I'm thinking that having removed the alarm system I've interrupted the ignition circuit and now need to re-complete it so the whole thing fires up on the key. And when the alarm wiring was removed it did leave three unconnected connecters, see below..

DSC01390.jpg

DSC01392.jpg

DSC01395.jpg

DSC01398.jpg

I saw mention on a thread here that the blue connecter might need a blanking plug in it to let the bike know there's no alarm fitted any more, is this true? And should the other two plugs be connected with something or can I just tape them up?

Or have I just missed a big blown fuse somewhere? (The fuses in the fusebox itself being fine now)

Any advice gratefully recieved!

Depends what circuit the alarm was wired into -

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition ?

Does the starter turn over but the engine doesnt start, or does nothing happen when you press the starter button ?

I saw mention on a thread here that the blue connecter might need a blanking plug in it to let the bike know there's no alarm fitted any more, is this true?

You maybe confusing the 1150 with 1200.

It's impossible for the an 1150 to know what is and what isn't fitted.

Depends what circuit the alarm was wired into -

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition ?

No.

Does the starter turn over but the engine doesnt start, or does nothing happen when you press the starter button ?

Nothing happens at all.

Everything on the dash seems to work as normal, but the RID doesn't fire up apart from the clock which is always on as per usual. It's exactly as it always was at the point where I'd press the button, at which point the RID would come to life and the fuel pump prime etc. :(

The single pole connector up on the r/h side in your last pic needs refitting into the bottom black block connector main harness side (male connector).When the alarm system was fitted this wire is removed from the block connector & fitted into the single pole connector, the wire from the sub harness supplied with the alarm system is fitted into the vacant position left by the original wire.
In the first picture the blue connector supplys power to flash the indicators.
The thin black connector is where the feed to the silver button usually fitted on the dashboard which acts as the flashing LED if you arm it with the alarm function and the button will also deactivate the system when you use the touch key on it.

The single pole connector up on the r/h side in your last pic needs refitting into the bottom black block connector main harness side (male connector).When the alarm system was fitted this wire is removed from the block connector & fitted into the single pole connector, the wire from the sub harness supplied with the alarm system is fitted into the vacant position left by the original wire.
In the first picture the blue connector supplys power to flash the indicators.
The thin black connector is where the feed to the silver button usually fitted on the dashboard which acts as the flashing LED if you arm it with the alarm function and the button will also deactivate the system when you use the touch key on it.

A thousand thanks skywalker! Worked like a charm. :)

The bike is now back up and running great..

DSC01375.jpg

DSC01400.jpg

..with a LOT less junk in the trunk. :thumb2

No worries matey but I think you could do with investing in some satin black paint

I managed to remove an OEM alarm y-day from an 1150 GS. The above answer was ~ unclear for me, but all you have to do is remove the blue connector, the small black 3 wire connector and the 1 wire connector needs to be replaced in the black large connector to the appropriate green wire.

What I would like to know is if there is any way of keeping the alarm and modding it so that it won't arm by itself at 10 secs after engine shutdown. IMHO, it's a nice alarm, but user friendlyness is not it's key point.

So, has anyone made any mods in this regard?

Dan.

What I would like to know is if there is any way of keeping the alarm and modding it so that it won't arm by itself at 10 secs after engine shutdown. IMHO, it's a nice alarm, but user friendlyness is not it's key point.

So, has anyone made any mods in this regard?

Dan.
I take it that you don't have the manual for the BMW alarm? If you do, there's a page and a half on the various user preferences that allow you to alter the factory settings quite a bit.

My 2004 GSA has had the BMW alarm fitted from day one. The first thing I did was to set it so that it's only activated by me when I feel it's necessary*.

Assuming that you don't have the user manual, here goes (I'll quote from the copy that I have);

The anti-theft system is designed for a 10 channel user programming. However, since only 5 channels are occupied (in use in this application) you must cycle through the unused channels to reach the channel you wish to alter.

There are two buttons on the remote, Holding it so that the remote has the BMW logo the right-side-up, the left-hand button is Button 'B' and the right-hand button is Button 'A'.

Turn on the ignition.

Channel 1. Function; Beeping tone. Button A = On, Button B = Off.
Channel 2. Function; None. Press any button to cycle through.
Channel 3. Function; None. Press any button to cycle through.
Channel 4. Function; None. Press any button to cycle through.
Channel 5. Function; Panic Alarm. Button A = On, Button B = Off.
Channel 6. Function; None. Press any button to cycle through.
Channel 7. Function; Tone Type. Button A = Intermittent, Button B = Steady.
Channel 8. Function; Automatic activation of Immobiliser. Button A = On, Button B = Off.
Channel 9. Function; Automatic function of Alarm (siren and lights). Button A = On, Button B = Off.
Channel 10. Function; None. Press any button to cycle through.

Switch the ignition off.

*As I say, I soon set mine so that it's manually operated. I sometimes set it and test the operation by triggering the movement sensor. It is as good as any after-market system apart from the fact that (here in the UK) it's never been submitted for Thatcham Approval so there are no insurance benefits. It certainly seems to be less troublesome than many after-market alternatives but then BMW no doubt made certain that its integration doesn't create (as many) problems.

The only criticisms I've heard of the BMW alarm are regarding the price (in comparison with some systems) and the lack of insurance Brownie Points. Set against that are the issues some people have had with non-BMW alarms.

Mike, where do you have the manual from? I'd love to have it to, to document more on this matter. Is it a pdf file or something? Could you email it to me?

Dan.

Sorry Dan, it's a humongous paper manual. It's the fittings instructions. My dealership gave it to me when I collected my bike (I'm not certain that it was meant to be handed-over now I come to check, the cover says something along the lines of "For approved franchises only".

No. The one I have is a large A4 format manual covering the installation/operation and removal. That one (linked) is the small user-guide handbook.
And also, the most important thing, I can use it and arm it only when I want to, and not when it wants, meaning after engine off. If I can do that, I'll have to re-connect it to the bike :D

Dan.
As I say, that's the way mine has been set since almost new. Like you, I wasn't happy with it re-arming itself automatically.

I take it that you don't have the manual for the BMW alarm? If you do, there's a page and a half on the various user preferences that allow you to alter the factory settings quite a bit.

My 2004 GSA has had the BMW alarm fitted from day one. The first thing I did was to set it so that it's only activated by me when I feel it's necessary*.

Assuming that you don't have the user manual, here goes (I'll quote from the copy that I have);

The anti-theft system is designed for a 10 channel user programming. However, since only 5 channels are occupied (in use in this application) you must cycle through the unused channels to reach the channel you wish to alter.

There are two buttons on the remote, Holding it so that the remote has the BMW logo the right-side-up, the left-hand button is Button 'B' and the right-hand button is Button 'A'.

Turn on the ignition.

Channel 1. Function; Beeping tone. Button A = On, Button B = Off.
Channel 2. Function; None. Press any button to cycle through.
Channel 3. Function; None. Press any button to cycle through.
Channel 4. Function; None. Press any button to cycle through.
Channel 5. Function; Panic Alarm. Button A = On, Button B = Off.
Channel 6. Function; None. Press any button to cycle through.
Channel 7. Function; Tone Type. Button A = Intermittent, Button B = Steady.
Channel 8. Function; Automatic activation of Immobiliser. Button A = On, Button B = Off.
Channel 9. Function; Automatic function of Alarm (siren and lights). Button A = On, Button B = Off.
Channel 10. Function; None. Press any button to cycle through.

Switch the ignition off.

*As I say, I soon set mine so that it's manually operated. I sometimes set it and test the operation by triggering the movement sensor. It is as good as any after-market system apart from the fact that (here in the UK) it's never been submitted for Thatcham Approval so there are no insurance benefits. It certainly seems to be less troublesome than many after-market alternatives but then BMW no doubt made certain that its integration doesn't create (as many) problems.

The only criticisms I've heard of the BMW alarm are regarding the price (in comparison with some systems) and the lack of insurance Brownie Points. Set against that are the issues some people have had with non-BMW alarms.

hello Mike
I know it's an old thread but woud you tell me how to get into programming mode please
all other threads explored have getting into p mode for only 5 channels or alarm only and don@t work for me
cheers

Just go through that rigmarole (above). You have to go through each of the active functions and the unused functions in turn to get to the one you want to alter.

So to get to function number 9, you must set or reset function number 1, 5, 7 & 8. Plus you must press either button for the unused functions in between. It's bit of a faff.

Back
Top Bottom