Ferries - What is going on?

Toad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
According to Nutt Travel Stena are pulling the fast boat from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire. So, no more ferries at convenient times:rolleyes:

Irish Ferries seem to be charging the earth (£176 for a bike and 2 passengers)

The options seem to be getting limited, and very expensive!

Adding the cost of the ferry to the cost of the hotel (e250) it's turning in to a £450 weekend before I've even had a pint!! :yikes

Also hearing tickets for the TT ferries this year for 1 person on a bike as much as £250.00 :eek:

the fast boat is under going its winter refit at the mo but will resume its normal operating time table from April 1st (thats from stenas own web site)

We live less than 2 miles from the ferry port in Dun Laoire but rarely use that ferry. The ferries out of Dublin Port are better timewise.

It used to be £84(one up) return Dublin Port - Holyhead with Irish Ferries!!!

That's a huge increase!!

the fast boat is under going its winter refit at the mo but will resume its normal operating time table from April 1st (thats from stenas own web site)

Nutt Travel have suggested that it is going to be withdrawn completely. That's their inside scoop....!!!

We live less than 2 miles from the ferry port in Dun Laoire but rarely use that ferry. The ferries out of Dublin Port are better timewise.

It used to be £84(one up) return Dublin Port - Holyhead with Irish Ferries!!!

That's a huge increase!!

One up is now £122.

Nutt have also told me that they are no longer getting a discount on Irish Ferries.

the dun laoghaire boats are booked solid for friday and sunday

i get 51 quid each way for them

122?????

Was on the Stena back from Dublin in October and some of the restaurants were closed. The staff were complaining that it was quiet for months. Yeah I said because yer prices are too feckin high and you are holding people to ransom :mad:

put in stenas site for next week its coming up as 51 quid

on monday

stena.jpg

I'm planning on taking me and the good lady in the MX5 over to France this June. I've tried planning different routes taking into consideration a long boring drive from (Belfast to) Stranrear down to Portsmouth then to Le Havre, (Belfast to) Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead with a not so boring long drive split into two to Portsmouth and Rosslare to Cherborg with Irish Ferries. The sickening thing is that the Dun L to Hhead ferry (approx a 3 hour sailing) is £285ish and the Portsmouth to Le Havre (overnight) a mere £165. Irish Ferries is costing just under £400 for the direct (overnight) sailing, so that's looking like the best option. Whatever way I look at it, we're getting stiffed from all the ferry companies to get off this poxy island. :mad:

Suppose the ferries are also getting hit with fuel price rises and fewer customers travelling. Certainly not cheap to get to the continent from oop north either through Newcastle or Hull; and the prices of food and drinks on board are also pretty high too.

There's major upheaval in the ferry services at the moment. Norfolkline sold most of their Irish Sea routes to DFDS who are pulling out of Dublin this weekend. It's unclear at the moment what will be happening to their Belfast routes, but word is that Stena may take some of them over.

Seatruck Ferries (a freight only service) are now being swamped by demand in Warrenpoint and Dublin as the demand for drop trailer shipping spaces rises. Irish Ferries and Stena will have virtually all the live freight out of Dublin, with P&O taking a share too so it would now seem unlikely that Stena will withdraw the HSS from Dun Laoghaire although they may well up their prices. The old law of supply and demand ensuring that there will be healthy profits to be made.

It's causing us some difficulties at work as we ship over 20,000 units on the Irish Sea each year. :eek

Irish Ferries are quoting €530 for the two of us and the bike return to France in July which is a feckin outrageous price. I'm not sure that we'll bother at all. :mad:

There's major upheaval in the ferry services at the moment.

Irish Ferries are quoting €530 for the two of us and the bike return to France in July which is a feckin outrageous price. I'm not sure that we'll bother at all. :mad:

anyone inside info on the Cork-Santander ferry, would be a nice option for the summer trip,
:D

Scots and Northerners win out:thumb:thumb:thumb

£91 return Stranraer to Belfast bike and rider
£68 return Cairnryan to Larne bike and rider

Back
Top Bottom