Help & advice prepping an X Challenge for almost RTW trip

Here we go again. You really don't like it when someone doesn't agree with you, do you, Cole? Well a lot of what you do is wrong and illogical. You've learnt some stuff from experience but you don't seem to be very good at forward planning. My impression was that this guy was copying your modifications when those modifications may not have been suited to him. Certainly from the way he was talking he did not seem terribly experienced. My comments were not condescending but I queried if he would notice the benefit of the work he's having done or if the money might be better spent elsewhere.
Ok, there's a thread about changing forks. Well done for spotting that, kudos for being able to read. There's a myriad of threads about all sorts of things on the ADV, most are pointless.
Your bike is probably ok for you although I disagree with some of your choices and I find the end result chaotic. I didn't not choose to change the forks, my budget wouldn't let me and I'm spending the remaining money traveling. That's my choice. The fact remains I don't agree with you and that seems to rattle your cage. Most people I meet seem pretty decent but some like to show off their toys a bit too much and that's fine for them but I prefer to use what I have. It's called a difference of opinion. Yours is no more valid then mine or anyone elses. Your bike was built on the advice of others, more qualified where I've saved that money and gone out and researched for myself and made choices that fit my budget. Someone asked and I had made a suggestion in line with my philosophy and our opinons didn't match. So what? That's a good thing, if everyone agreed there would be no discussion, now would there?
I wish I had had the budget to spend that you did, in fact one of my dreams is to build a bike from the ground up when i get a chance but mine would be quite different to yours. I don't have a beef with your modifications even though some of them I think are wrong. I don't hate your mods, I actually don't care one way or another but you seem to be fine going around forums knocking other people choices.
The fact remains... I don't agree with you. That's an end to it if you can get your ego under control... I bet you can't and I bet you have to reply to this, don't you...
;)

You really don't like it when someone doesn't agree with you, do you, Cole?

Actually I dont give a toss if someone disagrees with me ... I really couldnt care less. But if they want to directly criticise me, then they can expect to get some back. Thats fair, isnt it?

Well a lot of what you do is wrong and illogical. You've learnt some stuff from experience but you don't seem to be very good at forward planning.

Wrong and illogical ... like changing the crap forks. Thanks for the tip! You are a real gem.

Your bike was built on the advice of others, more qualified where I've saved that money and gone out and researched for myself and made choices that fit my budget.

What exactly are you trying to say here? "ARMA / JTW000 is a genius and Cole is an idiot?" Why dont you just come out and say it? Tell everyone on the board to ignore anything I say because they should listen to you ... because you are unique. You have actually thought about stuff. None of the rest of us do that. We never think about anything. We are lucky to have you here, right? To tell us when we are "wrong" because you have "gone out and researched it for yourself".

Actually my bike was built on a combination of the advice of others who know some technical specifics a lot better than me, added to my first hand experience of 17 years, 50 countries and over 150,000 km travelling in the non-developed world on motorcycles large, small, modified, stock, etc etc. Its not a matter of research, but real world experience of what works, what makes sense and what suits me. It gets improved every year, because my knowledge, first hand, on the road, of what is working and what isn't gets improved. That's the advantage of experience.

I don't have a beef with your modifications even though some of them I think are wrong.

See this is a classic. You, who are just leaving the UK for your first bike trip are telling me by mods are "wrong". When did I ever tell you or anyone else their mods are "wrong". All I said is that the X-Challenge, X-Country and G650GS have crap forks. What has that got to do with telling anyone their mods are "wrong"? In fact if I remember correctly, my words on the other forum were something like "You might want to think about changing the stock forks and the stock shock" Did that offend you??

Totally hypocritical to accuse me of something, when you are just here telling me my mods are "wrong".

Its even more ridiculous because you dont have any experience. You havent ridden yet to Thailand ... You dont even know which of your ideas will work and which wont. Which of your mods were fine in theory and which are good in practice. Your plan is to stick almost exclusively to asphalt, while I try to do as much as possible off asphalt ... Yet you have the gall to tell me my mods are "wrong" ...

And the hypocrisy to tell me mine are wrong while accusing me of criticising other people mods.

And the deceit to accuse me of saying other peoples mods are "wrong" .... like where????

but you seem to be fine going around forums knocking other people choices.

Where??? You are on drugs mate

The fact remains... I don't agree with you.

Good for you. I dont give a toss about that.

That's an end to it if you can get your ego under control... I bet you can't and I bet you have to reply to this, don't you...

If you keep spouting nonsense about me, I am more than happy to keep making you look stupid. :beerjug:

Whats your beef anyway? Did I sleep with your girlfriend or something?

Can I ask, what is the arrangement now for the lock stops, ie, when the steering can turn no more?
I have 48mm WP front end on my XC, using 450EXC triple clamps, and at present have no fixed lock stop.

I have to say Tim, now that I have seen the light, that you are barking up the wrong tree with this one.

I think you really need to question whether or not you are skillful enough to warrant those 48mm WP forks.

You also need to ask yourself if you even DESERVE to have good suspension. :rob:rob Good suspension is completely unnecessary for 99.9% of us.

I think I have to withhold fotos of my steering stop, unless you repent and go back to your stock forks. :hide :censor:

I knew you couldn't do it, Cole. :D. Thanks for the personal reply too. I make a point of not fighting with pigs. You end up dirty and the pig enjoys it.
You're an opinionated little man with a fragile ego. Let's remember you didn't even build your bike. You asked other people what they thought and paid them to do it for you. In contrast I gave my opinion when asked for it and built my own bike. I can't be arsed to comment on every one of your points because life is too short. You clearly think you're an expert but you're really just a guy with a blog and a bike you paid too much for. I'm not going to labour the points, you made choices I think are wrong. I don't agree with you. So what? Who cares? Apparently you do. Apparently you care a hell of a lot. What, did your mother not love you? Are you the youngest boy in a family of girls? You reek of a spoiled kid who needs attention. You're not getting it from me, you seem to get plenty anyway, albeit misguided for the most part.
I'd appreciate it if you didn't send me personal messages, I find you grating enough without having to receive additional reminders about little boys and their toys.
Good luck. Really, I hope life brings you everything you want... except it doesn't... does it? Oh well.

I knew you couldn't do it, Cole. :D.

It only goes to show ... you read me like a book. You really are a genius! :blast

you're really just a guy with a blog ...

Yes exactly ... that is all I am. And you are more? I mean apart from being the wisest guy on all forums of course ...

... and a bike you paid too much for

You idiot ... I didnt pay anything for the bike :bounce1 You really have no idea what you are talking about. :confused::confused::confused:

Can I ask, what is the arrangement now for the lock stops, ie, when the steering can turn no more?
I have 48mm WP front end on my XC, using 450EXC triple clamps, and at present have no fixed lock stop.

As promised:

6044977196_eb30930911_b.jpg

6044977542_d2ee6ef2f9_b.jpg

Its a solid alloy radius ... centreline radius 40mm, 15mm across, and 10mm thick, bolted onto the lower triple.

Manually ground down to the point where I have max steering, keeping about 4mm between the fork and the frame at max lock

Looks a bit over the top there Cole :p:D:hide Chill.......I was only pulling your pisser!;)

As promised:

OK, Walter, That looks ok, but not for me as my Brittania fairing mounts on the two holes you've used in the lower clamp.... not to worry.
My plan is to use a 690 triple clamp, and this will also move the fork clamping screw heads to the from on the clamp..... I'm sure you will know what I mean about that!;)

As promised:

6044977196_eb30930911_b.jpg

6044977542_d2ee6ef2f9_b.jpg

Its a solid alloy radius ... centreline radius 40mm, 15mm across, and 10mm thick, bolted onto the lower triple.

Manually ground down to the point where I have max steering, keeping about 4mm between the fork and the frame at max lock

Tidy job! :thumb2

Looks a bit over the top there Cole

You know mate, you are dead right. Some people would say, that if you have a steering stop like that, you are wasting your money.

About 2 quids worth of alloy, a lathe and a grinder are clearly signs of wanting to take over the world.

I mean 99.9% of us dont even need a steering stop anyway :rolleyes:

The real question is ... what would a "real adventure rider" do?

I can't be arsed to comment on every one of your points

Ideal!

I have to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which normally does not make other opinions less valid, just different...... but the stock forks can be improved on.

Since I use my bike in a different way to Walter, mine has evolved differently. My choice, dictated by finances and availability was a set of WP4357's. Once I replaced the bushes and seals I adjusted the oil height, following advice of somone who knows more than me. The set up works well. I was out on the trails the other day, for the first time in ages, and thought the front end was a little soft: 2 clicks of compression had it sorted. You don't get that kind of response from the stock forks. My mate had a go on my bike and described it as like riding an armchair. This wasn't an insult, he meant it rode very smoothly. Thing is we were both faster on my armchair than his crf450. I do have a set of shivers in my shed which might find their way onto the bike at some point though, unless the owner wishes to claim them. :augie

Ideal!

I have to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which normally does not make other opinions less valid, just different...... but the stock forks can be improved on.

Since I use my bike in a different way to Walter, mine has evolved differently. My choice, dictated by finances and availability was a set of WP4357's. Once I replaced the bushes and seals I adjusted the oil height, following advice of somone who knows more than me. The set up works well. I was out on the trails the other day, for the first time in ages, and thought the front end was a little soft: 2 clicks of compression had it sorted. You don't get that kind of response from the stock forks. My mate had a go on my bike and described it as like riding an armchair. This wasn't an insult, he meant it rode very smoothly. Thing is we were both faster on my armchair than his crf450. I do have a set of shivers in my shed which might find their way onto the bike at some point though, unless the owner wishes to claim them. :augie

Hey Rossi, hope your well mate!

what's the story on the shivers?:augie

they are 50mm shivers mate ... be a bit more of a project to mount them than the 45mm shivers which will slot straight in. I would have to get Erik to make me up an axle and a brake caliper adapter I am guessing. Will look at it later in the year.

I am trying to work out what bike to put them in.

Why, are you interested? ;)

I also have a pair of 45mm shivers that are brand new coming my way ...

Ideal!

My mate had a go on my bike and described it as like riding an armchair. This wasn't an insult, he meant it rode very smoothly. Thing is we were both faster on my armchair than his crf450.

This sounds about right, and sums up very nicely why i haven't bothered looking for a more focused enduro bike for trail riding.

While the XC is a bit of a lump in some situations, the fact you can ride it all day and it won't beat you up is a major bonus as far as i'm concerned.

I've done around 10k miles on my XC now with standard suspension, but it will be getting changed. In that time it's had a lot of varied use, and there is the odd occassion when things get a little airbourne :blast, and i'd have been greatful for something slightly better set up in the spring department.

It would have saved me having to drill 2 snapped bash plate bolts out as well :blast.

I've also noticed that while the stock forks feel relatively smooth, there are occassions, such as a really rocky granite climb i was trying to attempt in france last year, when better suspension would have been a bonus.
it was one of those climbs with no grip and you needed to hit the bottom with good pace to keep enough momentum to get to the top, but with the front end of the bike bouncing around over the rocks, it was pretty much impossible to control the direction, and the grip wasn't there to try and ride slower.

Yes the standard suspension will do, but thats a bit like saying why bother with all the hassle of going on a bike holiday when you can get a cheap break last minute break from the web? If you don't try you never know.

Some people will always try and improve things, and i it wasn't for them, we would still be living in caves. i take my hat off to them :thumb

No rush Walter, just joking. I'm in the middle of a house renovation so am not spending much time in the workshop, and they don't exactly take up a lot of room. Not sure if you were aware but I have the yokes for them too.

Why, are you interested? ;)

I also have a pair of 45mm shivers that are brand new coming my way ...

ah not 50mm ones no ... too much for me to go through ...... 45mm shivers now that would be tempting ... if i can afford them ;)

Back
Top Bottom