Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help & advice prepping an X Challenge for almost RTW trip

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    As promised:

Its a solid alloy radius ... centreline radius 40mm, 15mm across, and 10mm thick, bolted onto the lower triple.

Manually ground down to the point where I have max steering, keeping about 4mm between the fork and the frame at max lock
    Tidy job!

Quote Originally Posted by Harty View Post
    Looks a bit over the top there Cole
    You know mate, you are dead right. Some people would say, that if you have a steering stop like that, you are wasting your money.

About 2 quids worth of alloy, a lathe and a grinder are clearly signs of wanting to take over the world.

I mean 99.9% of us dont even need a steering stop anyway

The real question is ... what would a "real adventure rider" do?

The real question is ... what would a "real adventure rider" do?
    Phone touratech?

North Wales TRF Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
    Phone touratech?
    And have their hat stitched on......

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by ARMA View Post
    I can't be arsed to comment on every one of your points
    Ideal!

I have to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which normally does not make other opinions less valid, just different...... but the stock forks can be improved on.

Since I use my bike in a different way to Walter, mine has evolved differently. My choice, dictated by finances and availability was a set of WP4357's. Once I replaced the bushes and seals I adjusted the oil height, following advice of somone who knows more than me. The set up works well. I was out on the trails the other day, for the first time in ages, and thought the front end was a little soft: 2 clicks of compression had it sorted. You don't get that kind of response from the stock forks. My mate had a go on my bike and described it as like riding an armchair. This wasn't an insult, he meant it rode very smoothly. Thing is we were both faster on my armchair than his crf450. I do have a set of shivers in my shed which might find their way onto the bike at some point though, unless the owner wishes to claim them.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi View Post
    Ideal!

I have to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which normally does not make other opinions less valid, just different...... but the stock forks can be improved on.

Since I use my bike in a different way to Walter, mine has evolved differently. My choice, dictated by finances and availability was a set of WP4357's. Once I replaced the bushes and seals I adjusted the oil height, following advice of somone who knows more than me. The set up works well. I was out on the trails the other day, for the first time in ages, and thought the front end was a little soft: 2 clicks of compression had it sorted. You don't get that kind of response from the stock forks. My mate had a go on my bike and described it as like riding an armchair. This wasn't an insult, he meant it rode very smoothly. Thing is we were both faster on my armchair than his crf450. I do have a set of shivers in my shed which might find their way onto the bike at some point though, unless the owner wishes to claim them.
    Hey Rossi, hope your well mate!

I do have a set of shivers in my shed which might find their way onto the bike at some point though, unless the owner wishes to claim them.
    noted !

what's the story on the shivers?

Quote Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
    what's the story on the shivers?
    they are 50mm shivers mate ... be a bit more of a project to mount them than the 45mm shivers which will slot straight in. I would have to get Erik to make me up an axle and a brake caliper adapter I am guessing. Will look at it later in the year.

I am trying to work out what bike to put them in.

Why, are you interested?

I also have a pair of 45mm shivers that are brand new coming my way ...

Ideal!

My mate had a go on my bike and described it as like riding an armchair. This wasn't an insult, he meant it rode very smoothly. Thing is we were both faster on my armchair than his crf450.
    This sounds about right, and sums up very nicely why i haven't bothered looking for a more focused enduro bike for trail riding.

While the XC is a bit of a lump in some situations, the fact you can ride it all day and it won't beat you up is a major bonus as far as i'm concerned.

I've done around 10k miles on my XC now with standard suspension, but it will be getting changed. In that time it's had a lot of varied use, and there is the odd occassion when things get a little airbourne , and i'd have been greatful for something slightly better set up in the spring department.

It would have saved me having to drill 2 snapped bash plate bolts out as well .

I've also noticed that while the stock forks feel relatively smooth, there are occassions, such as a really rocky granite climb i was trying to attempt in france last year, when better suspension would have been a bonus.
    it was one of those climbs with no grip and you needed to hit the bottom with good pace to keep enough momentum to get to the top, but with the front end of the bike bouncing around over the rocks, it was pretty much impossible to control the direction, and the grip wasn't there to try and ride slower.

Yes the standard suspension will do, but thats a bit like saying why bother with all the hassle of going on a bike holiday when you can get a cheap break last minute break from the web? If you don't try you never know.

Some people will always try and improve things, and i it wasn't for them, we would still be living in caves. i take my hat off to them

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    noted !
    No rush Walter, just joking. I'm in the middle of a house renovation so am not spending much time in the workshop, and they don't exactly take up a lot of room. Not sure if you were aware but I have the yokes for them too.

Why, are you interested?

I also have a pair of 45mm shivers that are brand new coming my way ...
    ah not 50mm ones no ... too much for me to go through ...... 45mm shivers now that would be tempting ... if i can afford them

Quote Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
    I've also noticed that while the stock forks feel relatively smooth, there are occassions, such as a really rocky granite climb i was trying to attempt in france last year, when better suspension would have been a bonus.
    it was one of those climbs with no grip and you needed to hit the bottom with good pace to keep enough momentum to get to the top, but with the front end of the bike bouncing around over the rocks, it was pretty much impossible to control the direction, and the grip wasn't there to try and ride slower.
    i have some runs like that round here, i'm not a great rider so any help i can get from the suspension the better. i've done the progressive spring bit and that helped a lot over standard but now am looking for something better

I'm in the middle of a house renovation so am not spending much time in the workshop, .
    Hi rossi sorry to hear you're not going to make the mendips hu meeting, was hoping to meet up with you there

Quote Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
    Hi rossi sorry to hear you're not going to make the mendips hu meeting, was hoping to meet up with you there
    when is the meeting? I could only find one May just passed.

thx,

Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by Clearandlock View Post
    when is the meeting? I could only find one May just passed.

thx,

Clayton
    2nd/3rd September in the mendips

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/mee...011-autumn.php

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast