BMW 1200GS Adventure V's Gixxer 1000

Spike

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I bought my GS about 3 weeks ago now and have used it every day for work, OK only 8 mile round trip but I have taken the long way home a few times over the course of the 3 weeks:D.
I have used the bike for a couple of run outs round the island in the couple of weekends that I have had it too, I just cannot seem to keep off it, only thing really keeping me off it now is the clutch slip which will be sorted next weekend.

Now thats the good bit, heres the comparison:

I had to take my gixxer thou to the dealers today as they are going to sell it for me, and I got the bike out the garage cleaned it down and started it up.
It sounded really nice with a burble fron the after market exhaust. I let her warm up whilst i got my lid and gloves on and climbed aboard.

Oh boy this gets worse, the seat was HARD, the handle bars felt wayyyy too close together, I backed her off my drive and pulled away, got me feet up onto the pegs and it felt like my knees where around my neck.

Pulled out the juction at the bottom of the road and the bike took off. was not long before I was breaking the speed limit( I know its not hard in guernsey BUT I would have spent time off the road if I had of got caught) Trundles along trying to keep a sensible pace and soon I was on the coastal road and away to the dealers, I HAD to pass everycar infront of me, Something I donot HAVE to do on the GS, and by the time I had got to the dealers prob 10 miles max my wrists where aching my back was screaming at me and I just felt for the first time in owning a bike that I was wayyy too big for it.

Sooooo summing it all up, Good desision to sell and buy a GS??? Yes
Any aches and pains whilst riding the GS??? No
Do I have to be the first in the traffic on the GS???NO on the gixxer?? Yes, it just brings the hooligan out in me.
Would I have worried about all the gravel on the corners on my GS?? No

Would I go back to the sports bikes???? NO

So all you guys thinking "will I miss the sports bikes" there is your answer in my eyes, unless you are thinking about umpteen track days every year then buy a GS.

Spike

here here

I know exactly what you mean, i have an rsv r aprilia,it doesnt even handle that good unless you are doing a fair lick of speed [ over the speed limit] as with a lot of bikes of this ilk they are set up for this ie riding position and taut suspension, i have spondolosis in base of spine and neck also wrists knackered , right knee, left leg twisted , damaged ulna nerves [funny bones] . I had to put a riser kit onthe aprilia either that or i would have had to get rid so in the REAL WORLD the gs 1100 is all i need ,only noticed the other day after 4 hours riding that my left hand hadnt gone dead which is usual on a lot of bikes , i suppose i have the best of both worlds at the minute but may not feel the same in spring when the ape comes out of storage, will have to wait and see if i am being a knob by having two bikes when i may as well just have one that i can actually use rain or shine. ps i reckon with sticky tyres on a twisty road the gs could keep with the ape. happy riding, keep safe. ps do you get dizzy on the island?:hide

I bought my GS about 3 weeks ago now and have used it every day for work, OK only 8 mile round trip but I have taken the long way home a few times over the course of the 3 weeks:D.
I have used the bike for a couple of run outs round the island in the couple of weekends that I have had it too, I just cannot seem to keep off it, only thing really keeping me off it now is the clutch slip which will be sorted next weekend.

Now thats the good bit, heres the comparison:

I had to take my gixxer thou to the dealers today as they are going to sell it for me, and I got the bike out the garage cleaned it down and started it up.
It sounded really nice with a burble fron the after market exhaust. I let her warm up whilst i got my lid and gloves on and climbed aboard.

Oh boy this gets worse, the seat was HARD, the handle bars felt wayyyy too close together, I backed her off my drive and pulled away, got me feet up onto the pegs and it felt like my knees where around my neck.

Pulled out the juction at the bottom of the road and the bike took off. was not long before I was breaking the speed limit( I know its not hard in guernsey BUT I would have spent time off the road if I had of got caught) Trundles along trying to keep a sensible pace and soon I was on the coastal road and away to the dealers, I HAD to pass everycar infront of me, Something I donot HAVE to do on the GS, and by the time I had got to the dealers prob 10 miles max my wrists where aching my back was screaming at me and I just felt for the first time in owning a bike that I was wayyy too big for it.

Sooooo summing it all up, Good desision to sell and buy a GS??? Yes
Any aches and pains whilst riding the GS??? No
Do I have to be the first in the traffic on the GS???NO on the gixxer?? Yes, it just brings the hooligan out in me.
Would I have worried about all the gravel on the corners on my GS?? No

Would I go back to the sports bikes???? NO

So all you guys thinking "will I miss the sports bikes" there is your answer in my eyes, unless you are thinking about umpteen track days every year then buy a GS.

Spike

thanks for that insight :thumb2

very interesting

I swapped my K6 Gixxer 1000 for a GSA last year, and I really miss my Gixxer. However, I found the Gixxer getting more and more uncomfortable, hence the decision to get rid of it. Do I regret it? Yes. Do I regret getting the GSA? No, not for one second, I love it.
In an ideal world I'd have the GSA and the K6 Gixxer 1000, the gixxer would suit someone at 6'4", and I would be as agile as a 21 year old again.
However, we grow older, less fit and less agile. Comfort becomes important,and as much as we love our sportsbikes the thought of spending a day on them becomes less and less appealing. You look at the GSA and think yep I could spend all day on that, and have a hoot at the same time :thumb2

I do agree with the above , but i do also miss the feeling you get from the raw power , the exceleration and the top speed of an 1000cc sports bike sometimes :)

I do agree with the above , but i do also miss the feeling you get from the raw power , the exceleration and the top speed of an 1000cc sports bike sometimes :)

+1, then I realise how important my driving license is when working as a field service engineer (not to mention my life). Too much power is addictive, and no license - no money.

+1, then I realise how important my driving license is when working as a field service engineer (not to mention my life). Too much power is addictive, and no license - no money.

+ 1 your right pukmeister , i was doing loads of track days on mine but all you want to do is ride it like that on the roads then , but soon found out thats not a good idea :D

Yep im in the same boat ive brought a 10 plate gs stuck 17'' wheels ect ect and its very addicitive with only 106 horses, however under a sheet i have a green monster thats been sorted with only 2700 miles on the clock and was going to sell but i keep changing my mind :confused:

I have a GSXR 750 L0 and Just bought a 1200GS.
I love the GSXR and if I had to sell one today it would be the GS (only had the GS a week and only done 120 miles)

But I don't :bounce1

Rob

That is a lovely looking 12 :thumb2 In fact worth keeping just to look at.

I agree with all above comments, luckily for me I could not afford to have kept the old bike as well which makes the licence feel much safer.

Much as I would love to have nice sportsbike in the garage I am not sure if I would use it much now :nenau

Early into it and with the novelty of a new GSA, I too shared all the above sentiments, however, twelve months down the line, I'm missing my Hayabusa like crazy :blast

Best regards Stretch :)

Yep im in the same boat ive brought a 10 plate gs stuck 17'' wheels ect ect and its very addicitive with only 106 horses, however under a sheet i have a green monster thats been sorted with only 2700 miles on the clock and was going to sell but i keep changing my mind :confused:

I too sold one of these to fund the GS.
I think if I could have kept two bikes out of the three then it would have been the ZX12R over the gixxer. That is a good looking bike and it might not get used much but it is nice to have a change.

For me it was more medical resons that I had to get a GS, arthritis in both shoulders and elbows= no sprts bikes for long journies.
Me and the wife like long weekends away in France and we used to use the twelve for that, but our last trip was not worth the agony of me popping pills like no tomorrow.
We are planning longer trips away too as our little girl gets older so the sports bikes would have deffinatly had to go.

spike

For me it was more medical resons that I had to get a GS, arthritis in both shoulders and elbows= no sprts bikes for long journies.

spike[/QUOTE]

yeah i agree the plastic rocket position takes its toll after 500 mile days, i did a 750 mile day on a duc 999 :eek and so with the 12 i fitted ABM top yoke and bars to allow me to sit upright and its great.

One of the reasons i wont commit to sell it, i think it will out last my gs and there less to go wrong ...;)

spike

yeah i agree the plastic rocket position takes its toll after 500 mile days, i did a 750 mile day on a duc 999 :eek and so with the 12 i fitted ABM top yoke and bars to allow me to sit upright and its great.

One of the reasons i wont commit to sell it, i think it will out last my gs and there less to go wrong ...;)[/QUOTE]

You know I was looking at your bike thinking somethings not right with it, could not figure it out till you just told me about the top yolk conversion.
It makes sense now the bars being so far back.

spike

Spike here's a pic what they look like, and you can do this conversion on just about every bike even Gsxr - s1000rr..

proppper bike

you boys should try an old airhead . 300 miles (at least ) whithout having to stop , and they work offroad .

35mph speed limit on Guernsey isn't it (if Google is still my friend)?

I also came from a sportbikes background GSXR, RSV etc and for a few months ran an R1 alongside my last GSA.

Although on the right day, on the right roads and in the right mindset riding the R1 was an exhilarating experience I was always finding reasons to take the GSA instead of the R1 (its a bit cold might need heated grips, just fancy listening to some music today, might buy something and need the luggage etc etc).

In the end to have over £5k's of sportbike sat depreciating in the garage was just crazy and selling it was a no-brainer. I also found that whilst I'm no off-roader I do like going up into the Dales exploring singletrack roads and the GS is made for doing this.
It was a sad day when the new owner rode away on it but to be honest I haven't missed it.......well not much anyway :augie

Back
Top Bottom