Wanted Hotels in Slovenia and Croatia?

sc650

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
A small group of us are planning a trip to take in 3 days near Lake Bled Slovenia and 4 in Opatja, Croatia.
Has anyone been to the area and can recommend reasonably priced bike friendly hotels?
Thanks
sc650

Hi
A small group of us are planning a trip to take in 3 days near Lake Bled Slovenia and 4 in Opatja, Croatia.
Has anyone been to the area and can recommend reasonably priced bike friendly hotels?
Thanks
sc650

Stayed here in 2009:
http://www.hotel-krim.si/eng/about-us-br-location
Cheap and cheerful , somewhat reminiscent of 1970's East Germany :)
I'd stay there again.

Steve

If you fancy splashing out try Villa Bled on the shore of Lake Bled. Tito's old summer palace, a little run down now as are many old Eastern European hotels but full of character and history. Partake of the superb food whilst enjoying the views from the terrace.
Stayed a couple of years ago and with dinner and wine it came to over 400Euros for the two of us:eek: Worth it though:thumb

I stayed at the Hotel Astoria a couple of years ago. Like the others mentioned, it was built as a conference centre for Tito's elite. Looming at http://www.hotelastoria-bled.com/en/foto-gallery it shows some of the rooms have been renovated, so you might get a cheaper rate of your group are willing to stay in the older rooms. They are fine but a little austere. The service in the hotel is excellent and there is a decent buffet in the evening. Many of the staff are graduates or final year students at the nearby School of Tourism and they are very keen to please as they want good references. Very good location a short walk to the lake and a pleasant amble into the town centre along the shore. The castle is nearby (up a steep hill). Mixed reviews on Tripadvisor - mostly people not realising the hotel has old & new wings I guess.

I've also stayed in a lovely hotel in Opatija. Quite large, spread across 2 buildings and won't be cheap. Harbourside location is a delight. Opatija as a resort is expensive if you stay on the coastal strip. Venture back a block from the coastal road and you will find bars & restaurants used by locals with much better prices and less pretentious service. Grand Hotel 4 opatijska cvijeta continues to get good reviews. Again, food was a buffet which is common in Slavic countries and often suits a mixed group as you can get a half-board rate at a decent price whilst providing choice for everyone. Although, as mentioned, it is nice to venture away from the tourist strip and see some of the back streets and meet locals.

Hotels in Slovenia and Croatia

Gents
Thank you all for your responses - some excellent food for thought there.
The planning stage moves another step forward! :beerjug:
Kind regards
Steve

Hi
Thanks
sc650

Stayed in the Hotel Kompas in Bled a few years ago. Can't remember what it cost but looking at today's prices it seems on the expensive side. Anyhow the room was in good nick and we had a good view. Have fun :ChrisKelly

Hi Lake Bled is lovely.
Are you after 4/5 star hotels or smaller/cheaper?
Some cheaper options than the big Hotels around the lake are
camping bled.
Bled youth hostel
pension Bled and Pension Mayer

Bled is, as has been said, lovely but it is a tourist spot-often busy in high season. From our place you can get there in a couple of hours so it is somewhere I have been lots of times. It's also where we take visiting older relatives for a day out and that is my view of Bled. A pleasant enough place to spend of few hours, eat the obligatory cream slice, take a few photos and then move on. If you want to spend a few days in Bled then it's fine, if you want a touring base then there are plenty of other quieter (often cheaper) places from which you can make a day trip into Bled or, better in my opinion, Bohinj- not as built up as around Bled.

Don't miss the Mangart road especially if you get a clear skies day-the road is interesting but the view from the top is simply as good as it gets.

As I have tried to make clear the above is a personal view, it's not for me or anyone else to tell you how to spend your holiday, whatever you want to do will be the right thing for you.

John

Bled?

We stayed about a mile outside Bled a couple of years ago here:-

www.hotel-pibernik-bled.com/

Great place for a base - well suited to a group.
I would, however, agree fully with John above. I feel Bled is over-rated and over-busy:( - we spent most of our few days there travelling up and down the Bohinjska Valley, beautiful road, and spending the days swimming in Lake Bohinjska - far more beautiful and peaceful than Bled:thumb
The hotel above, that's just outside Bled, was still a good base and had I nice relaxed atmosphere for a group.

Cheers............Grizzly:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom