Project bike advice

Swingarm photos

Latest update on my project.I have removed the brake shoe pivot pin from the hub,straightforward machining job to make a longer stepped pin.Actuating shaft will be extended using the same method as the driveshaft,looking for a suitable piece of aluminium tube to machine the hub extension.Photos to follow:)

Photos of swingarm extension and proposed hub modification

Attachments

• 17012011023.jpg
    17012011023.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,259
  • project bike (2).jpg
    project bike (2).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,276
  • project bike (3).jpg
    project bike (3).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,269
Project bilke

Just found this photo on ADVrider,i am looking for a tank for my project,hadn`t considered an oilhead tank till now.any opinions or comments gratefully recieved.

Attachments

• 1174711465_BDija-Loilhead tank.jpg
    1174711465_BDija-Loilhead tank.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,251
project advice

dear lewisjohn, as a member of your parish, why dont you just sell the 1200 adv. forget the "project" and get a glorious,fantastic,original,timeless 1150GSA (like mine), ...'cos by the look of that tank thats secretly what you've been trying to do all along!!!!!!! hooray (WALES will beat france next week and i'll be even more drunker then than i am now)....

Hi Scrumager
Have you been texting me rugby jokes,i have lost all my contacts on my mobile,Colonel Giomo is thinking of going down the classic route now:blast.
Oilhead tank was just an idea,HPN tank costs an arm and a leg.

oooo.. one of the original and best 900 speed triples! lovely.

I had a 900 trident for about 5 years and did nearly 60k on it, I loved it but always lusted after the speed triple.

Here`s the Triumph lurking under the dustsheet

Attachments

• 07042010104.jpg
    07042010104.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,217
project advice

yesss , t'was moi ,.....wots the difference between the english rugby team and mrT ...mrT 'aint going on no plane !!!

Project update

Latest job i am doing on my project is rebuilding the back wheel,i am building a blasting cabinet to do all my alloy bits, hubs etc I am going to try soda blasting,it does not seem to be as extreme as sandblasting.Once the hub is cleaned and the rim polished then i will attempt the rebuild. I have also ordered the piece of alloy to make the bevel box extension to fill the gap between the drum and bevel box.

Attachments

• 05022011030.jpg
    05022011030.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,061
I'll be following with interest the refitting of the hub and the true-ing of the crossed spokes.

Another update

Rear wheel rebuild on hold till i get my soda blaster sorted,rear subframe is next on my list,i have made a mock up using the original RT item,once i am happy with the dimensions,i will make a copy using TIG welded stainless steel,i am also thinking, once i have all the strengthning plates welded to the frame,of getting the frame nickel plated.

Attachments

• project bike 014.jpg
    project bike 014.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,076
Latest update
Fitted a pair of renthal bars with the pad off my GSA.I have been trying to choose between old school alloy mudguards or plastics,finally decided on UFO vintage plastic guards,quality is first class.Subframe is almost ready to be sent to the fabricator to be remade in stainless steel.The rear hub is ready to be blasted and painted,once i have polished the rim i will then attempt the rebuid of the wheel:eek:I have also just bought an ex police bike fuel tank, the one with the lockable compartment.

Attachments

• PROJECT BIKE 001.jpg
    PROJECT BIKE 001.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,221

Attachments

• PROJECT BIKE 001.jpg
    PROJECT BIKE 001.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,174
  • PROJECT BIKE 002.jpg
    PROJECT BIKE 002.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,171
Project bike update

Fitted my tank,bit of a fiddle moving brackets etc,but like the old school look with the rubber pads etc,also spoked my rear wheel,got it running a few mm out,when i get back to work going to make a jig to true the rim .

Attachments

• project bike 001.jpg
    project bike 001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,122
  • project bike 002.jpg
    project bike 002.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,118
truth be told L.J. its starting to look half tidy , you've certainly gut something there... i think it would look better in BLACK though ... i'll have to call in....and be critical !!!

Finished my rear wheel conversion,trued the wheel to within 0.025" radially and 0.030" axially.I made a fixture to spin the wheel in the vice and set the rim with a DTI.Really pleased with my efforts,anybody who has respoked a standard wheel should be able to do a crosspoke rim, just needs a bit of lateral thinking and patience

Attachments

• project bike rear wheel 002.jpg
    project bike rear wheel 002.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • project bike rear wheel 003.jpg
    project bike rear wheel 003.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,064
  • project bike rear wheel 004.jpg
    project bike rear wheel 004.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,069
Finished my rear wheel conversion,trued the wheel to within 0.025" radially and 0.030" axially.I made a fixture to spin the wheel in the vice and set the rim with a DTI.Really pleased with my efforts,anybody who has respoked a standard wheel should be able to do a crosspoke rim, just needs a bit of lateral thinking and patience

Fitted a tyre to my wheel today Michelin T63,( 130/17),the clearance between the tyre and swingarm is about 3mm.The paralever wheel to RT bevel box conversion has worked really well,if anybody needs any info i have all dimensions etc and a list of all materials etc.

Attachments

• project bike tyre 001.jpg
    project bike tyre 001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,035
  • project bike tyre 002.jpg
    project bike tyre 002.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,033
  • project bike tyre 003.jpg
    project bike tyre 003.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,033

Back
Top Bottom