Project bike advice

The electrics are pretty straight forward on the airheads. How much of the original equipment is in place?

I have all the components i stripped from the donor bike,but would like to simplify the electrics .I have seen Boyer ignition systems on ebay,but i am not sure what that would actually replace.

The boyers replace the points, they do add an additional box that needs to be mounted somewhere (usually under the frame on top of the airbox).

I have an R60 police tank fitted and have removed all the electrics mounting brackets under the tank.i was thinking of putting all the relays and coils etc in an alloy box in place of the airbox,i will be using cone type filters which will leave space behind the starter.Would there be any problems in doing this

I have an R60 police tank fitted and have removed all the electrics mounting brackets under the tank.i was thinking of putting all the relays and coils etc in an alloy box in place of the airbox,i will be using cone type filters which will leave space behind the starter.Would there be any problems in doing this

It's a common enough mod. You will only need a minimalist loom with what's left. There are solid state reulator/rectifier units that replace the diode board and regulator. These fit under the front cover and will reduce wiring and space needed. Made in the UK by Electrex Reg/Rectifier

Bling

I`ve done a little bit more to the bike,scored a 2/1 SS exhaust on ebay,and was given a complete front end off a 1996 KX500 Kawasaki:beerjug:.I won`t be fitting it to this bike,it will be for a future twin shock project.

I have fitted a little Bling to the bike,nice set of CNC machined levers and master cylinder with Goodrich braided hose.i have also fitted a Koso speedo/tacho unit as reccomended by Richard Moore,dry build finished,the frame will be going for spraying in the new year.i also found a single seat on ebay,originally designed for a monkey bike,i think it looks the business.

Attachments

• new levers 001.JPG
    new levers 001.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,016
  • new levers 006.JPG
    new levers 006.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 1,050
  • new levers 008.JPG
    new levers 008.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,062
  • new levers 007.JPG
    new levers 007.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 1,055
Project update

I have finally pulled my finger out and had the frame powder coated,to be honest i got into a bit of a rut and couldn't be bothered to do anything to the bike,anyway onwards and upwards i am determined to finish the bike.I have also bought my next project,a 1979 Guzzi 1000sp going to build a cafe racer
Alloy tank ,seat hump and mud guards etc with a bit of mild tuning.

Attachments

• GUZZI AND BMW 004.JPG
    GUZZI AND BMW 004.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • bmw frame 001 resize.jpg
    bmw frame 001 resize.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,007
My project is moving on now,the engine and gearbox is in,i am dreading the wiring,but have enlisted a few of my mates to give me a hand.I have taxed the Guzzi to use over the winter,i am dying to start on its café racer conversion but have promised myself that I will finish the RT/GS project first.

Attachments

• PAINTED FRAME 2.jpg
    PAINTED FRAME 2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 871
  • PAINTED FRAME 3.jpg
    PAINTED FRAME 3.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 879
  • PAINTED FRAME 5.jpg
    PAINTED FRAME 5.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 871
  • PAINTED FRAME 6.jpg
    PAINTED FRAME 6.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 870
GS Sump

The engine on my project is a standard R80RT,which has the deep finned sump fitted,i have bought a sump which has four tapped holes to fit a sump guard.The problem I have is that the oil pick up sits to low to allow the shallow sump to bolt to the base of the crankcase.I have removed the pick up and was thinking of machining off the difference between the two sumps from the face that bolts to the oil pick up pipe.Any thoughts:nenau

Attachments

• OIL PICK UP 003.JPG
    OIL PICK UP 003.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 892
  • OIL PICK UP 004.JPG
    OIL PICK UP 004.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 835
I'm not sure but won't a R80G/S one fit in there ( you'll have to search some exploded diagrams etc )

Sorted my problem,i measured the difference between the depth of the GS sump and the RT sump,and machined the same amount off the mounting flange of the pick up.

Attachments

• GS SUMP MOD ETC 001.jpg
    GS SUMP MOD ETC 001.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 859
  • GS SUMP MOD ETC 002.jpg
    GS SUMP MOD ETC 002.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 844
All the bikes that had these small sumps and ,err, sump guard, also had a oil cooler, so if you dont intend fitting a cooler you should probably fit a sump distance ring.

I have a oil temp and pressure gauge on my GS, which has the small sump and cooler, and with the sump cover in place the oil still gets pretty hot - to hot for Dino oil.

I actually went the other way, and replaced the small sump with the largest available,similar to the one you have, and that brought the temp down to a acceptable level, and the oil pressure up.

Brilliant - keep posting
Preferred the police tank though

Brilliant - keep posting
Preferred the police tank though

I would have preferred to have used the police tank,but the rear of the tank was to tight a fit on the frame without a modification to the tank,the new tank is a direct fit and came ready painted by Dream Machine.The picture shows the GS sump and guard fitted,i do intend fitting an oil cooler to try and regain the amount of oil lost by changing the sump.

Attachments

• GS SUMP MOD ETC 003.jpg
    GS SUMP MOD ETC 003.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 772
Before and after

Nearly there,getting to the fiddly bits now,electrics,and mostly small but time-consuming jobs,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 698
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 733
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 729
Superb work
Please teatch me about one thing
When everybody made a longer swing arm, they trash the spring on the drive shaft. Why ?
I've put a springed drive shaft and swing arm on a /5, up and down shift goes without the "klong", softer gear changes that is for me better on mud trails.
So for me this spring shock gives some good thing. So why trash it ?

Nearly there,getting to the fiddly bits now,electrics,and mostly small but time-consuming jobs,

"The first 90% of the project takes the first 90% of the time; the last 10% takes the other 90%" ;)

Any idea of wheelbase now? Is it just standard + 100mm, or do the forks have an effect too?

Back
Top Bottom