What's a veggie doing at the Hograost?

Pumpy

That's short for Pumpernickel
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, let me tell you...

This was actually my first proper Hograost! In 2007 I came only for the Saturday to join the Plain fun with Paul, and after that the good intentions of attending the whole event fizzled out year after year due to holiday plans, injuries, lack of disposable income, etc, etc. And if I'm absolutely honest, the idea of a meeting centred around a roasted pig didn't really appeal to me as a veggie... :mmmm

But this year Steve asked me if I was willing to contribute to the participants' entertainment and I was - who could ever say 'no' to our favourite bakerman?

Like many others, I arrived Friday after work, pitched my tent in the 'Pogo only' zone - forsightly pyloned off by Timpo - and immediately got the opportunity to practise my Spanish. Four guys from Santander on their way from Scotland and the Isle of Man back to the ferry had heard of the Hograost by chance and popped around to see what it was all about.

Maybe Oso can help me with the names? From left to right: Eduardo (?), Timpo (not Spanish), Michael (neither), Oso (welcome to the forum!), Juan and Mario (?)
IMG032801-L.jpg

Unfortunately they had to carry on to Salisbury but I hope we will see them again in Andover next year - or on the Ruta de la Plata... :D
IMG032901-XL.jpg

Juan knows how to treat a lady...
IMG033001-L.jpg

And Oso left me speechless when he gave me his piglet (that had travelled around the world with him!) as a talisman. Muchísimas gracias... :kissy2
IMG040001-L.jpg

Then it was time for dinner - that's what I call a serious Paella pan!
IMG033101-L.jpg

Following up on the food theme - guess what Timpo had for breakfast on Saturday morning?
IMG0333-L.jpg

Here's a clue - SkyGod was having the same
IMG0334-L.jpg

Fed and watered, people gathered on the car park for the ride-outs - Timpo's hardcore gang
IMG0335-L.jpg

Even the royalty turned up to give their blessings - Bakerman, The Boss and Paul
IMG0336-L.jpg

Now I have to confess that I was behaving antisocially for a change. Due to time contraints during the last few weeks I still hadn't got round to do a recce for a trail riding event in Wiltshire the following weekend. Being so close to Salisbury Plain was a great opportunity to ride the route that I had only been able to plot on the map so far. And so I set off on my own (yes, I know what you're saying now - never go trail riding alone - and I feel guilty... :mmmm).

You see what happens to byways that are not ridden on a regular basis - this lane near Collingbourne Ducis needs some proper lawn mowing 'Dirty Girls' style... :D
IMG0340-L.jpg

Our national heritage...
IMG034201-XL.jpg

But the byways around Stonehenge are under serious threat of being closed to motor-propelled vehicles forever
IMG0346-L.jpg

The public enquiry was supposed to start on 22nd June but due to Wiltshire County Council being badly prepared, has now been postponed until September.
IMG034701-XL.jpg

In memoriam Ben "Motörhead" Jones...
bncry.gif

IMG034501-L.jpg

Decisions, decisions...
IMG035201-L.jpg

Don't we just love The Plain?
IMG0354-L.jpg

Alright, alright, I won't then, Sir!
DevilDog.gif

IMG0357-L.jpg

More national heritage - Devizes White Horse
IMG0358-L.jpg

Coming down the Wessex Ridgeway
IMG0363-L.jpg

Our friends the 4x4's were here - nearly got stuck on this trail near Avebury... :rolleyes:
IMG036601-L.jpg

Idyllic place for an excursion into the bushes
IMG0367-L.jpg

Approaching Barbury Castle
IMG036901-L.jpg

Aha...
IMG037201-L.jpg

The Ridgeway near East Kennett
IMG0373-L.jpg

Gates can be a bit of a nuisance when you're on your own... ;)
IMG037401-L.jpg

Pewsey White Horse
IMG037501-L.jpg

Back at Andover Rugby Club it was too late for me to enter the competition for the dirtiest bike - the trophy had already been given to Horse1200. :clap

Here's runner-up SkyGod
IMG037601-L.jpg

A striking head, that hog...
IMG0378-L.jpg

Oh dear, Becky starting with the booze... :101
IMG037901-L.jpg

For Timpo it was the first proper meal in over four weeks... :augie
IMG038001-L.jpg

On a flying visit: Hans, Berin and Dr JM
IMG038101-L.jpg

Well, they had been here since lunch time - only I was late... :mmmm Toni, Rosi, Dr JM and Berin
IMG0382-L.jpg

Another far-travelled Spaniard! :thumb2
IMG0384-L.jpg

A glimpse of the fabulous Brief Case Blues Brothers and the amazing crowd before it got too dark
IMG038601-L.jpg

Finally I understood the true purpose of MrIFan's distinctive hairdress!
IMG038701-L.jpg

Sunday morning - the remains of the weekend...
IMG038801-L.jpg

The left-over raffle prizes - how do you transport a gargoyle on a small X-Challenge? :duno
IMG038901-L.jpg

Some people even stayed to listen to my South America talk - thanks for your time and interest, guys! :kissy2
IMG039001-L.jpg

Around midday the field was almost cleared... Hope you get better soon, Trev!
IMG039201-L.jpg

IMG0394-L.jpg

Sean 'Sir Fixalot' from the AA with his 30-year old beauty
IMG0396-L.jpg

And the last of the tireless busy bees...
IMG039301-L.jpg

What a brilliant weekend! Thank you so much, Steve, Becky, your kids and all your helpers for your hard work and for making the Hograost such a fantastic event! :clap:clap:clap

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and will be back next year.

THANK YOU - and well done on the fundraising front! :bow

Ela

Thank you very much for the photos!!!!!!:JB

From left;

Mario--Tympo--Michael--Eduardo--Oso--Alex

:aidan

Oso.

You obviously have a very good memory for names and places Ela, thanks for sharing with us :thumb2

Great pics as always Ela! :clap

Wish I'd been there now... :(

Thank you very much for the photos!!!!!!:JB

From left;

Mario--Tympo--Michael--Eduardo--Oso--Alex

:aidan

Oso.

Thanks for the names, Juan! And I thought 'Oso' was Eduardo, as you mentioned my new talisman in my SAm report... :blast

Ok, let's get this right - here we have from left to right: Mario, Timpo, Michael, Eduardo, Oso and Alex
IMG032801-L.jpg

And it was Eduardo who gave me his key fob cerdito. :)

Thanks to you all for your kind replies. And to conclude my initial thought, I should mention that the veggie catering - Risotto on Friday and Ratatouille on Saturday - was excellent, plentiful and very tasty!

Thanks again, Bakes, for caring about the minorities... ;)

Back
Top Bottom