sat nav help needed

simmo50

Reaction score
getting rid of my garmin 2610 street pilot, need a normal sat nav (going to put it in a waterproof case on bars) going to buy an autocom, what sat navs are out there that have the socket for audio out , all the ones in currys dont have them, dont want bluetooth either

makes and models would be helpful cheers

I've previously used a garmin 769T in a special sat nag case. I kept it until I could afford a Zumo, as I could not get on with using the touch screen through the plastic case.
The 765 has a headphone jack which can plumb into autocom or earbuds, it also has the benefit of using an SD card and being programmable via mapsource, but you would have to buy the software seperately. Nearest thing to a bike sat nag for a car, just not waterproof.

:beerjug:

Garmin 765T

getting rid of my garmin 2610 street pilot, need a normal sat nav (going to put it in a waterproof case on bars) going to buy an autocom, what sat navs are out there that have the socket for audio out , all the ones in currys dont have them, dont want bluetooth either

makes and models would be helpful cheers

I've just bought a refurb 765t off fleabay for £99 posted. :thumb

Comes with Garmin 12 months warranty :thumb

I did a little research and was advised that neither Garmin or Tom Tom sell a new car unit that has an audio out, but I stand to be corrected there.

I didn't realise when I bought it, but it also comes with bluetooth audio out so will pair with a suitable bluetooth headset as well.

I've only had mine a few days so haven't had a proper play with settings and maps yet. First impressions are that the spoken instructions are a little on the late side, ie you're almost past the turning sometimes :eek: and she does go on a bit :p

Good side is that the touch screen also works with gloves on but it is a bit of a hit and miss affair

Totally confused myself and the unit this morning when I put it in the waterproof case upside-down :blast

Like Old Rat I have a Nuvi in a waterproof case, mine is the 765T. Works well, just did European tour, no issues. Connects to my Autocom via it's 3.5mm audio out socket.

Some of the Nuvis won't do routing from a file created in Mapsource. You need one that lists a number next to the Routes: element on the spec on the Garmin website. Apparently some of the more recent models will do a number of routes but won't do it off a file. Possibly Garmin getting the hump and knobbling the feature :nenau

With my 765 I downloaded Mapsource and installed it this way. The did a map update and installed the mapping to my PC as well as to the GPS. Worked a treat.

sat nav

so its looking like a 765t then dont suppose anyones got one to sell ????
cheers for advice

So a few years on...is anyone using this as a cheaper alternative to the 660? I want audio out and an SD card so I can expand if need be. If it has an audio out, it,ll work with an autocom. And music then?

sat nav

I have a nuvi 660 i made a waterproof cover out of thick plastic,the other alternative wrap it in cling film the touch screen still works through the plastic,bought a holder through ram and mounted it on a ram ball fitted to handlebars.
Drove a through spain with it ,and several trips to scotland in absolute abismal weather.the other thing its almost the same as the zumo 660 just not waterproof .
I also run it through my autocom with no problem.

So a few years on...is anyone using this as a cheaper alternative to the 660? I want audio out and an SD card so I can expand if need be. If it has an audio out, it,ll work with an autocom. And music then?

If you can find a Nuvi 765T then yes, pretty well the poor/frugal man's Zumo 660. It has SD card expansion, audio out via 3.5mm stereo socket. It even has an FM transmitter (that the Zumos don't have) so you can connect it to your car stereo over the radio waves. I also has A2DP Bluetooth. Had it hard-wired to my Autocom for music and directions.

Having said all that I've upgraded to a Zumo660 now for things like waterproofing out of the box. The 765 is still doing sterling service as a car GPS for family use and a back-up in case the Zumo has issues.

They do crop on eBay every now again. Garmin, I think, saw that it was being used this way and later Nuvis weren't so bike capable.

Wicked. Thanks Roulstonjr and Bumpkin. It'll be one or t other then.
1) Bumpkin: you say you had it hardwired to autocom - do you mean via the 3.5mm audio jack and a cable hidden running to your autocom, or do you mean something else?

2) both: how did you get power to them: micro usb or hardwired with other type connection into canbus?
3) how are routes transferred - basecamp or similar?

I have a nuvi 660

Looking at the Garmin spec for this model I don't think that the 660 does routing in the sense of Mapsource or Basecamp generated routes, only point A to point B (with one optional intermediary via-point). Click the 'Specs' tab and look at the number of routes (last point on 'Maps & Memory'). The zero here means that it doesn't do custom routing. This makes it a poor GPS for recreational riding.

The specs of the 765T on the other hand show 10 routes for this aspect. This means that it can hold 10 routes in memory for immediate access/loading from the menus. You can have 1000s on the SD card or internal memory and easily swap these with the 10 in the menus with a few button presses.

The Zumo 660 holds 20 routes in menu in exactly the same way, so a slight improvement over the 765 but not really a big issue due to being able to swap these without recourse to plugging into a PC.

1) Bumpkin: you say you had it hardwired to autocom - do you mean via the 3.5mm audio jack and a cable hidden running to your autocom, or do you mean something else?

Yes, an Autocom isolating stereo lead into 3.5mm jack in side of Nuvi 765T's body to Aux#3 of my Autocom Super Pro Avi. Works very well, as good as the Zumo in this respect.

2) both: how did you get power to them: micro usb or hardwired with other type connection into canbus?

Powering via the USB socket on the 765 is problematic as it thinks you're trying to connect to the PC and puts the Nuvi into connection mode. Probably a special USB lead would fix that. However, I used this case to keep the GPS away from the elements which meant I could fit in the main part of the car cradle (the suction cup and arm pop off leaving the flat cradle) and then power using one of these. As I ride a lowly Honda I don't have a canbus option so had this wired into the rear brake light circuit which gives ignition switched power, worked perfectly. The power lead has a 'lump' on it, this just houses an LED and a fuse ISTR, I cut this off and added an in-line fuse which was much neater. The 765 runs off 12v to the cradle.

3) how are routes transferred - basecamp or similar?

Exactly the same as the Zumo, Mapsource, Basecamp, take your pick.

thanks, useful answers. Will be keeping my eyes on e bay then for one as the route planning and riding is a key feature to me.

Coolio, just won one on the bay for 40 quid. Maps will need updating (buyer did not respond to my request re is it registered to him and what software he has. Typical...) Anyhow, just the unit £40! I think thats a good un.

I am now seeking the power and case options you mentioned. Only worry with the cradle is that as I don't park mine off street or in a garage, I may have to remove cradle everytime. Are their similar bolted on options that you guys know about? Any recommended supplier to advise and buy all bits from?
Software: where do I borrow this, and am I looking for basecamp or Mapsource? Much appreciated.

Don

Because the power lead only has + and - I used a Tamiya connector on the lead for that. For the audio I added a 3.5mm stereo socket and jack. Both of these just outside the waterproof case. The RAM arm connecting the case to the bike was just un-screwed slightly, these connectors un-done and the whole lot removed. Not quite as quick as a Zumo but the bonus was that I didn't leave the cradle behind. The two training wires with sockets were just tucked under body panels.

ok, i see now. I guess you have to use it in the waterproof case all the time then. You say that works fine?

No real problems using the GPS in the case all the time, that's really the only way unless you also buy the RAM cradle especially made for the 700 series Nuvis (here's a video that will show this better), obviously not waterproof though. The window of the case in my previous post is a perfect size for the screen and only negligibly reduces visibility. Screen 'button' presses work OK. The unit does run a bit hot, especially if using the media player but I had no ill effects from that over the three or so years that I used it and the unit is still running fine albeit for car use now I have a Zumo 660. In rain the heat and case combined can cause some misting on the inside of the window but this tends to only be around the edges in my experience.

OK, so it arrived today. Installed basecamp, and map source (which has a whole row of tiles missing(. I copied the img file from device to pc) as no cd or anything, Planned a route for tomorrow, so sill soon see how it works! I have paired it to my phone and now need to test it alongside my autocomm tomorrow. Seems a good piece of kit though. Hat the fact no post code planning avail on on base camp!

Right had a test run today. Cracking kit. My power lead has not arrived yet so tested it on the battery alone. I used my old phone mount near the clocks, and the garmin fits but the sun / angle is too high. I can't get it lower as it bumps the clocks. SO it either has to move to H bars, or I must work out how to get some more leverage to lower it. I have yet to install my sat nav bar over the clocks as its a faff and don't want to do so if not going to use it. So now which RAM mount did you buy to use with the kit you suggested? I see it comes with a ball, but no other mount. ? Whats the female RAM mount I need?

Depending on your bike, I'm assuming it's a GS, you'll need a RAM part with a ball to attach to the bike. The screen support bars can be used with one of these. Otherwise you'll need to find a suitable place to attach something suitable. These are neat if you have an 8mm bolt conveniently positioned, just replace it with one of the included Allen bolts though the ball.

If neither of those above are suitable have a look here at the full range of components for the 1" ball range.

You then need an arm to join the ball mounted to your bike to that on the back of the sat nav case. These come in 3 lengths; short, medium or long. Dimensions are given on those pages. Don't forget to factor in the ball bits at both ends. If you need more flexibility then you can user two short, or one short and one medium arm (that's what I do), combined with one of these.

I copied the img file from device to pc

Pretty sure that isn't going to work, you need to install the mapping either from a download or from disk. £50 buys you lifetime (life of the GPS, not you) mapping updates. Please be aware that the unit must be registered with Garmin for this to work, go here, register and then try to register your Nuvi. It will ask you to plug it into your PC using a USB lead. If it is previously registered you'll need to speak to someone at Garmin. They will try to contact the previous owner by email ti verify that it's been sold, if there's no response to this after a few days they usually de-register it anyway. You can then register in your name and use the update. Do this before buying the update card.

Alternatively download OpenStreetMap data and use that instead.

For the time being you can use Basecamp with the unit plugged in as that can read the mapping directly off the GPS and use that. You'll probably find this a bit frustrating in the long run though.

Thanks, you are very helpful. I have plenty more to look at and spend on! Spent a lot of time last night trying to cobble mapsource...and it is looking like an upgrade is the best way. Basecamp: ok, but no post code mapping, AND routes imported only have a start and end point. Do you know if that is also the case in Mapsource? If I see a route somewhere and I get the GPX route, does it keep the route intact when transferring to mapsource? Or is also a case of selecting waypoints and telling it to create routes? (excl via michelin as I know about that one not doing it).
Pity this doesnt have a female for my ball on the case already! I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks Again, don.
PS have registered unit and updated software and been on to garmin support friday re mapsource. They sent me download instructions but I only get as far as entering product number and then I cannot find it, so written back and awaiting reply.

Spent a lot of time last night trying to cobble mapsource...and it is looking like an upgrade is the best way. Basecamp: ok, but no post code mapping

It's a common misunderstanding for Garmin newbies to confuse Mapsource (the program) with the mapping data. These are separate entities, akin to Excel and a spreadsheet file. The former is used to work with that latter. The mapping, in the case of us Europeans is City Navigator Europe. Mapsource ceased development in late 2010, Basecamp is it's replacement, like it or not, and will continue to be developed with updates every now and then fixing things and adding new features. Both Mapsource and Basecamp can be downloaded from Garmin for free, though the former is only there to appease the Luddites :rolleyes: The mapping data you need to pay for. In the longer term a lifetime subscription is the cheaper option, in fact, from Handtec, it's pretty well the same price as a one time update directed from Garmin so it's a no brainer really.

If you don't want to pay for mapping at all then there is always OpenStreetMap.

AND routes imported only have a start and end point. Do you know if that is also the case in Mapsource? If I see a route somewhere and I get the GPX route, does it keep the route intact when transferring to mapsource? Or is also a case of selecting waypoints and telling it to create routes? (excl via michelin as I know about that one not doing it).

Without seeing the route in question I can't comment. Some places you can download routes from only have the start and end points. Try downloading the GDB or GPX file at the top of this page. These are routes that I have created and know the content.

I do believe that Mapsource and Basecamp come with a very coarse Global basemap, these might be what you are seeing if you don't have mapping installed on your PC. Plugging in the Nuvi via USB should show detail mapping and allow you to use it as previously mentioned though.

Pity this doesnt have a female for my ball on the case already!

Well, that's the way that the RAM system works I'm afraid.

PS have registered unit and updated software and been on to garmin support friday re mapsource. They sent me download instructions but I only get as far as entering product number and then I cannot find it, so written back and awaiting reply.

That doesn't make much sense... are you referring to the mapping or Mapsource the program? See above.

Did you pay Garmin for a mapping update because if you did you probably paid well over the odds. The Handtec thing is a genuine Garmin product, you just have to wait a few days for delivery, that's all.

Garmin might actually allow you to re-download the mapping you currently have on the Nuvi now that you have registered it. You have to ask nicely for that, it's not unknown... If they do it will show in your myGarmin account. Use MapUpdater, have a look at this post for instructions. Garmin Express, which is what Garmin will probably tell you to use has some issues, MapUpdater is the older method and still, last time I tried, still worked.

Back
Top Bottom