sat nav help needed

Mapsource

Re Garmin support: I called them as I had a partial version of Mapsource, with a whole blank row of tiles across the UK. Most of it was there, I just had a whole line missing just below London. Then map would carry on. So I called and they couldn't work it out, so asked me to go through and re download my product. All good until I was asked for a product key. I have registered device and it shows my maps and device id and unlock code, just no product key.

Following their wizard did not bring up any downloaded (even archived) maps. So I guess I bought a unit off someone that may have bought it pre installed? I will ring them again on Monday. Anyhow, basecamp has all my maps and i can plan and do things in it. I just wanted mapsource for backwards compatibility and actually thought that the routes transfer whole as opposed to how basecamp does it. I get a lot of waypoints, then need to select waypoints and say create route (hoping of course the points are in order...)My thinking was that mapsource did the same, except it actually went further and plotted/displayed the route (less steps and chance of a mishap..). As for the route it was route napoleon with 38 waypoints off the 66n virees a moto site..I will try the route later when on my desktop upstairs and feedback.
I agree that base camp is worth learning as it will become the de facto etc as we move forwards. I guess my problem is I have never seen or used garmin stuff so not sure what is possible and what is just not implemented / available yet. e.g. searching in basecamp for Putney, brings no results. London, yes, but not smaller towns unless I am doing things wrong, and here is where I don't know if it is a me thing or a software glitch.

Just fitted the sat nav bar over instruments and looking into purchasing required mounts now. Man o Man this sat nav is a ball game in itself!

Garmin might actually allow you to re-download the mapping you currently have on the Nuvi now that you have registered it. You have to ask nicely for that, it's not unknown... If they do it will show in your myGarmin account.

the post details the exact mail I got and then ran short at the product key and old downloads available page. Calling them tomorrow.
Cheerrs

searching in basecamp for Putney, brings no results. London, yes, but not smaller towns unless I am doing things wrong, and here is where I don't know if it is a me thing or a software glitch.

Typing 'putney,london' finds it for me in Basecamp pretty well instantly. Alternatively searching for 'london' and then 'putney' works well.

Do you have a drop down menu in the menu bar in Basecamp containing mapping versions. This should have Glabal Map at the very least. If it's not there right click a blank portion of the bar and ensure Map Products is checked.

From what you're saying I think you're looking at and using the coarse global basemap that's included with an install of Basecamp. Using this mapping I tired searching for london which worked and putney which didn't.

Try zooming in, you should see street level detail with all the side streets, parks in green etc. If you're on the global map the detail will be very sparse and not at all accurate.

OK, your route (or routes should I say work instantly on Basecamp. I get the days, icons, routes on the map everything. That is the GPX one. not tried the other. Searching as you mention does work (me thickio...). So I guess I just ned to make sure when I get routes that I look at them properly I hope..Such a learning curve. Again, thanks for all advice

Back
Top Bottom