Reeks rescue

GerryC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This afternoon - great not to have to manually carry them down.

Attachments

• Rescue.jpg
    Rescue.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 248
its that time of year... we get the carrier bag and Nike Air Max variety trying the local assents..:rolleyes:

A nice climb.

Being, as I am, as religous as a sledgehammer, but not quite, I have only climbed the Reek 3 times.

Once when I was 35, once when I was 42, and once since I had a heart attack at he age of 46. On the occasion of the last climb I was 58.

On the first occasion, I climed in ordinary shoes, and came down in 20 mins to sea level. On the second occasion, in walking boots, I came down in 18 mins.
Real slow nowadays. It takes me 35 mins.
I run down the right had side of the scree at the top, and thence onwards on the sides of the paths, not the paths themselves (too hard)

Reckon a good fell runner could do it in 12 mins.

What do you think?

Myke

d REEK

Did a night climb solo from the South side last Sun/Mon.

Things have got a bit confused on this thread.

Great photo Gerry.

By the way you sounded good on Morning Ireland recently - must get your autograph next time I see you :thumb

Great pic, Gerry but what did you do to the rotors. They're melting.

:hide

They're not melting

Great pic, Gerry but what did you do to the rotors. They're melting.

:hide
Theyr'e coning. Stall warnng should be on. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks bloody dangerous. Seems they are close to breaking off & then a kind of sudden fall, but it obviously this did not happen.

Hi

As a full time Coastguard I work with the Helicopters all the time. Nice set of pictures.

They are a superb team of pilots and crews who undertake fantastic work all round Ireland, both North and South. Lots of people alive who otherwise might not be.

The guys on the Sligo cab are also keen bikers too which is a bonus !!

Telemark09

He's fine out - just twisted his knee but could not walk; the injury will probably heal quickly in a 12 year old but would have me hobbled for much longer. He had not been in a chopper previously, so has a story to tell his mates.

It really was a nice bit of flying as the incident was in a high valley or pocket. The pilot crabbed in sidewards always keeping the nose pointed to the falling ground so that if a stall is imminent there is opportunity to move forward & pick up air speed & lift again.
They where on the limit as they could not take the wee lad's da - as they would usually do - it is hard not to be impressed to see that big lump flown with finess in a tight situation. :bow

It has been busy of late on the Kerry hills.

Just noticed that my original photo has the spot he was evacuated from - the wee valley just over the tail rotor is the spot.

Back
Top Bottom