Accidental 100GS rebuild

Head and barrel off again - cant see anything that looks wrong.

Gave me a chance to fine tune the height of one the new Pushrod tubes which was over compressing its grommet, but otherwise all looks good

Suppose will just rebuild again and see if it still does it...

Still waiting for bodywork, so took my time saturday rebuilding the right side again, and whatever it was before that was causing the squeaking seems to have gone away :)

Seems to be running reasonably Ok now too, though a final tune up will be needed at some point

It did highlight a problem I had hoped I had fixed though. The silencer intenals are shagged. When I got it last summer it was making the same raspy rattly noise, but the middle bolts holding the upper bracket on had both fractured, so I put the noise down to it blowing out at that point. But the bracket's now been welded on, as is the rear one as that looked like it was going the same way, so bang goes that theory...

Annoying as I'd hoped all the major expenses were now behind me. But I guess I can run it as it is until I can get a replacement silencer.

Anyone got one they want to sell? Or know where you can get one for a lot lass than £300?

Anyway, here's latest pic...

gs.jpg

Those Y pieces allow the gasses to give the silencers internals a pasting. I'm going for the 80g/s collector box and downpipes when my collector box rots through.

Finished!

Got the painted bits back from Barwell bodyshop a couple of weeks ago - lovely job for £500 - thanks for the tip, Rob.

And now she's all back together and running; Mot booked for Thursday. Hoping it will squeak through with the blowing silencer. My local Harley shop is doing the Mot, so hopefully they are used to turning a deaf ear now and again...

800.jpg

Below is a list of all the stuff that cost money, otherwise did it all myself - feeling quite proud.

Bike cost £1900 last summer, which on reflection was a good £500 more than it was worth, and everything else below (rough prices from memory) came to about the same again. So probably not quite ahead of the game yet, but not too far off either...

Vapour blasting for load of bare aluminium parts and wheels 180
Powder coating for frame, other steel parts 110
New paintwork, badges + decals 500 + 100
New (high) front mudguard 70
Used bottom yoke and stem 100
Exchange rechromed fork stanchions 150
Fork bushes and seals 40
Engine gaskets & seals 50
Used alternator rotor 35
New clutch plate 60
New head bearings 10
New swingarm bearings 50
New bevel box pivot shaft bearings 20
New front wheel bearings 10
Reconditioned driveshaft 150
Hagon shock rebuild 100
Large mixed bag of stainless metric fasteners 30
Oils for engine, gearbox, forks 40
Stainless pushrod tubes 30
Upper choke cable 10
Air filter 10
Oil filter 10
Used (tick tock) clock in pod 50

Still have some odds and ends to sort - refitting crash bars; fitting the 320mm brake upgrade kit I bought last week (need to order custom length hose this week); getting the seat recovered in blue; some fiddling about with swopping pannier case tops around, and finding a better silencer.

Though I have a feeling when those are all sorted, there'll be another half dozen new tweaks or fixes on the list...

Have loved every minute - and huge thanks to everyone who posted help on this and other threads. Couldn't have done it without you :D :D :D :D

He then went on to do that hideous r80 - such a shame as he was showing promise on this one :D

Back
Top Bottom