R1200Gs with high miles

My GS is four years old, has 63k KM on the clock, i'm on the third set of tires (both just changed) still on original break pads... went through two batteries in the first two years but lat one is now over 2 years old. I do mostly long distance riding in a very hot climate, change oil every 10-12k KM, and have chance the rear drive oil once (due for another soon).

Great bike, so far very reliable.

May be a contentious question, but does riding style make the difference?

I have seen some folk who ride very smoothly, blip the engine down the gears to synchronise speed etc. and compare those to the guys who bang the clutch in, on off the power taking up the slack in the drive train with a shock each time. It must make a difference....?

Also cleaning the bloody thing all the time, what's with that? mine get cleaned a couple of times a year (usually just as a politeness before a service) and I have never had any corrosion problems (admittedly never had a GS1200 before may this year, but had my Dakar 7 years). Can this also cause water ingress at the oil seals and bearings?

Chris

But in all fairness the GS tends to have issues at any mileage, so as to if to buy a high mileage example or not perhaps it makes little odds, my clutch is playing up at 14k...

My discs are knackered, yet the pads are barely half worn (and not covered by the extended warranty, although I cannot see it as fair wear and tear if the discs are buggered before the pads are worn!)

Both fork seals have blown

On the other hand Sgt Bilco's has managed to get to nearly 70k with no such problems, not sure if the good GS's outnumber the bad ones, but 25 years of Jap bike ownership has taught me they rarely make a bad bike, so I am personally well on the way to change again and most likely to Yamaha ownership.

and I have a 79K miler 2008 GS... on original everything bar, f+r pads, rear shock (on 3rd), front shock (on 2nd), rear bearing replaced under warranty (I could feel the rear moving when coming out of corners) and a rear disc.

Riding style does have a rather lot to do with I guess!

Yamahooo?

But in all fairness the GS tends to have issues at any mileage, so as to if to buy a high mileage example or not perhaps it makes little odds, my clutch is playing up at 14k...

My discs are knackered, yet the pads are barely half worn (and not covered by the extended warranty, although I cannot see it as fair wear and tear if the discs are buggered before the pads are worn!)

Both fork seals have blown

On the other hand Sgt Bilco's has managed to get to nearly 70k with no such problems, not sure if the good GS's outnumber the bad ones, but 25 years of Jap bike ownership has taught me they rarely make a bad bike, so I am personally well on the way to change again and most likely to Yamaha ownership.

Dont look at George Whites advert in MCN will ya! :rob

JAKE.......... did you obtain your GSA from local dealerships ? I believe that the ones in Dorchester and Alton are excellent. I deal with CWs and they've always been brilliant at sorting out issues in over 10 years of riding Beemers.

Sorry to hear about your experiences.

Dont look at George Whites advert in MCN will ya! :rob

Unless it is for a job it ain't no use to me now, got the letter my crystal ball has been predicting for some time today, if it was not fo r work being so dodgy I would have bought a Tenere last week.

It looks like I will be keeping the GS at least a little longer, but it will be the first casualty if I do not find work pretty quick.

Mine has done 52000, and just had a new shaft drive, clutch, and shims in the gear box under warranty I took out a few yrs back. With out that warranty it would have been big bucks! I think I will now keep it for as many yrs I can get wear and tear out of it, it does everything i want.

Some things never change I suppose, I ended up renewing the clutch, output shaft bearing and a number of internal bearings and re-shimmed the gearbox on my old R75/6.

Back
Top Bottom