Wapping's Wanders Six - Weekend of 22 / 23 October

Wapping

Reaction score
Date: Weekend of 22 / 23 October.

Train times: To be sorted out, maybe go over on Friday late afternoon or earlyish doors on Saturday???? But, either way, aim to be back on a train on Sunday at around 18:30ish.

Going to: Somewhere in the rough triangle, Amiens, Peronne, Arras

Suitable for: Anyone who can ride a motorcycle. There will be no off-road sections but the odd excursion down some 'interesting' roads is not unknown, often with an accompanying whiff of 'farm yard' or (more likely) 'He's lost' about them. In short, I would be happy to ride them on an R1, a GS or a pushbike.

Hotels: I will book the rooms, somewhere. I have made initial contact with: http://ldf-80.reservit.com/jreservi...f0a3c9c3df0&custid=12&hotelid=6714&partid=514 just waiting for a reply.

Numbers: Six to eight bikes is a good number to have, I think. Pillions are welcome. The main restriction is the number of rooms if we do not go to an Ibis or similar chain hotel.

Navigation: I will produce Garmin GPS files and we can use the drop-off system, not least as it keeps everyone involved.

What to do: The area is in the centre of the Picardy, Circuit of Remembrance, Great War memorials etc. so I will cobble something together around that, I guess.

Richard

http://www.visit-somme.com/somme_tourisme/decouvrez/grande_guerre

If, for any reason, the date moves to the weekend before or after then I would be keen to come along.

The hotel has just confirmed my booking, so we are now cooking on gas :thumb2

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=3-5...client=safari&oe=UTF-8&gl=uk&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=0

From a quick look at Google street view the hotel is right in the middle of Albert, which is fine. The restaurant should be OK, so I have taken the liberty of saying we will all eat in.

i have reserved:

Two double rooms (Four adults)

Two single rooms (Two adults)

Two twin rooms (Four adults) - One gone to ChasMill & son

Now to set about the route down, the day out on Sunday and the return route back on Sunday late afternoon. Even taking a scenic'ish run it's not so far to Albert; so we can go on Saturday morning if it's easier for everyone. Depending on the time out on Saturday morning, it may be an idea to do the packed lunch thing again, perhaps?

Richard

Sounds like a plan. Happy to go out Friday or Saturday (even though it will mean an early start). Also happy to "sweep" if needed.

R&R to date

Inked in

Wapping
ChasMill & son (2)

Pencil pushers

Middle-aged-Man

Ooops, Slight diary issue.......... the management now tell me we're meeting "that nice couple" from Scotland for walking that weekend. I'm afraid I will have to un-pencil please Richard. :blast

I have hacked out the longer Circuit of Remembrance route. It is definitely not the roads we will take, it's just to let bods (and me) get a feel for what we might do.

Staying in Albert is OK as we could perhaps 'do' the Doullens, Beaumont Hamel (and Albert) stops on the way down. We could then do bits of the southern leg on Sunday. I don't think we will have time to do the whole journey, see ALL the sites AND get back to Calais for 18:30. Maybe get round as far as the Australian Memorial at Villers Bretonneux, say?

I will work on that idea some more, trying to build in some decent roads to ride AND sites to see. Either way, I think it will mean a 09:00 start on Sunday, if possible.

Richard

Attachments

• October Somme jaunt.gdb
    84.6 KB · Views: 154
Ooops, Slight diary issue.......... the management now tell me we're meeting "that nice couple" from Scotland for walking that weekend. I'm afraid I will have to un-pencil please Richard. :blast

Send 'em packing and come with us. :D

Never mind, give B & R my best wishes, please.... I haven't seen them in yonks.

Sounds like a plan. Happy to go out Friday or Saturday (even though it will mean an early start). Also happy to "sweep" if needed.

Ta, muchly.

=======================

Updated R&R

Indelible ink merchants

Wapping
ChasMill & son (2)

Nope, sorry, bang in the middle of my six day shift ..... :mad:

I think I have got it near enough right now, subject to a look at a proper map before we go.

I can see that there is a chunk of motorway on Sunday after leaving Peronne, but:

(a) It's not far

(b) The available roads run parallel to the motorway and are near enough straight. So it makes real sense, saving some time to look at the sights, to then hop on the motorway, which was why the French built it.

====

The route down from Calais is 100 miles, so we should have time to see some sights towards the end of the afternoon. Pack lunch will be in order.

The route back on Sunday, is 50 miles to take in the sights and then a further 100 miles back NE across country. Again, should be doable, if we can crack off at 09:00.

Lunch we will have to take on the hoof somewhere...... :nenau:nenau If we do run very short of time, we can always cut our losses and head for the superslab and home up the coast.

Richard

Attachments

• October Somme jaunt.zip
    72.2 KB · Views: 147
Yessir!

Excellent work! Please "ink" myself and the venerable Mrs Brenchleyhibs in on this one please Richard - regardless of a departure late Friday or early Saturday!

Andy :thumb2

Updated R&R

Carved in stone

Wapping
ChasMill & son (2)
Les Brenchleyhibs (2)

===

Two double rooms (Four adults) - One gone to Brenchleyhibs

Two single rooms (Two adults) - One gone to Wapping

Please book me in for this jaunt Richard, myself and the other half, double room please :thumb2

Updated R&R

Written in blood

Wapping
ChasMill & son (2)
Les Brenchleyhibs (2)
Les Wilburts (2)

===

Two double rooms (Four adults) - One gone to Brenchleyhibs and the other now gone to Wilburts.

Two single rooms (Two adults) - One gone to Wapping

I'm feeling decidedly continental. May I join you folks?

Twin room? :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom