Exmoor Explorer 4th-6th May 2012

just handcuff them together and take away their ferry references :D

Just been looking at an OS book that I bought a while back.
If anyone wants to go walking rather than riding whilst down here there is a very nice walk starting at Simonsbath which is only a short drive from the site.

A circular 7.5 miles route taking 4 hours and its graded as medium.

The whole length of the River Barle is delightful and no stretch more so than that downstream on Simonsbath - glorious woodland soon giving way to a peaceful, remote, steep-sided and bracken covered valley. The first part of the walk follows the river bank, passing such diverse man-made remains as the ruins of a 19th century copper mine and a prehistoric earthwork; the second part returns high above the valley, giving superb views all the way.

I'll make sure I bring my book and the OS map required for anyone who fancies a days hiking.

That sounds really good and right up my street Jim. Might be worth talking to Les? If he's not going I'd be happy to help with organising the yomp.:thumb

That sounds really good and right up my street Jim. Might be worth talking to Les? If he's not going I'd be happy to help with organising the yomp.:thumb

Good idea, I'll mention it too him. Simonsbath is about 12 miles from the site.
I need some fresh air so I'll check it out some day and take a few taster photos.

Just been looking at an OS book that I bought a while back.
If anyone wants to go walking rather than riding whilst down here there is a very nice walk starting at Simonsbath which is only a short drive from the site.

A circular 7.5 miles route taking 4 hours and its graded as medium.

I'll make sure I bring my book and the OS map required for anyone who fancies a days hiking.

As already mentioned, i'll be walking with Sandy, and anyone else who fancies a long walk (about 9miles each way), on Sunday. This walk will take us from Molland, along the fringe of Exmoor and over to Dulverton for a spot of lunch at Woods' wine bar and, hopefully, a not too strenuous amble back. I do have a slightly shorter alternative route from Dulverton to Withypool, about 7 miles each way, if you'd prefer something more leisurely.

If any ladies fancy a spot of pony trekking, they can take a trip over to West Luccombe, prebooking probably recommended.

I can't believe I'm saying this Jim but no, don't shut up! :eek: :D

I for one probably won't be able to commit to a yomp on the Sunday if I've got to be back in Leicester same day? Or, I might be up for walking both days!
What's wrong with doing a walk on the Saturday as well?
I know the monday is a bank holiday but the event is only advertised as Fri-Sun anyway :nenau

I can't believe I'm saying this Jim but no, don't shut up! :eek: :D

I for one probably won't be able to commit to a yomp on the Sunday if I've got to be back in Leicester same day? Or, I might be up for walking both days!
What's wrong with doing a walk on the Saturday as well?
I know the monday is a bank holiday but the event is only advertised as Fri-Sun anyway :nenau

The event's on for three nights Ian, not the usual two. People can book for any number of nights to suit themselves. If there are sufficient volunteers to lead rides on the road (off road is already well catered for), then Sandy and i will be happy to take a group for walkies Saturday and Sunday.

Exmore

And yet another one comming! I assume the weather has been arrainged? and will Proff be bringing any Jaffa cakes?.
Dave GS

I've removed the enormous 41 lt tank and fitted the 21 lt jobbie so I feel that I need to go and check out the routes again this week.

I got a nice bullet video helmet cam for Christmas so hopefully I will be able to post up some You tube results of the routes.
Cheers

Sid

Out tomorrow around Barnstaple area, will try and get some photos and videos, on the Drz 400

Once Sid and I have got our act together and been out for a day we'll have to meet up with Rich somewhere for a pint and compare maps :thumb2

I went out again the other day but its very wet out there at the moment and hopefully not at all what its going to be like in May.

Back
Top Bottom