2012 Royal British Legion Iron Butt 1000 - Are you tough enough? June 22-24.

I'm still waiting for the certification of my SS1000 that I did 19/06/2011. No contact from Iron Butt UK but I've paid the money for badges and certificate. Sorry but I think it's pants. Poppy appeal or not I'm not wasting my money again. It s quite a day when you ride 1000mls in 24hrs on a 1200GSA. Prepare to have your carpal tunnel done in.

I'm still waiting for the certification of my SS1000 that I did 19/06/2011. No contact from Iron Butt UK but I've paid the money for badges and certificate. Sorry but I think it's pants. Poppy appeal or not I'm not wasting my money again. It s quite a day when you ride 1000mls in 24hrs on a 1200GSA. Prepare to have your carpal tunnel done in.

Getting more service stamps in my maintenance book is all the recognition I need.

If 286 riders ride 1000 miles = 1609km , that's 286,000 miles/460,174km = 5200 gallons/23640 litres of unleaded at an average 55mpg @ £1.375 p/litre so that's £32,505 spent on fuel alone....

If each rider stayed in bed and just sent the cost of the fuel to the RBL with gift aid they's actually raise more money and you wouldn't have a sore bum :thumb2

Please don't take this the wrong way - I am an avid RBL supporter but this doesn't seem the most efficient way of rasing money for any charity .... unless one of the petrol companies joins in to help.

It's pretty straightforward on any modern bike. :nenau

Agreed i did it a few years ago for charity Calais to Budapest did 1000 miles and could have done 200-300 more, the Wife wants me to do it again :blast for our latest charity, just got to get it sorted again.

Leeds & back is 700 miles for me ....so no thanks.

If they had set it up so you could start & finish at your local Legion and pass through some central point (Like Leeds), I reckon I would be up for it.

If 286 riders ride 1000 miles = 1609km , that's 286,000 miles/460,174km = 5200 gallons/23640 litres of unleaded at an average 55mpg @ £1.375 p/litre so that's £32,505 spent on fuel alone....

If each rider stayed in bed and just sent the cost of the fuel to the RBL with gift aid they's actually raise more money and you wouldn't have a sore bum :thumb2

Please don't take this the wrong way - I am an avid RBL supporter but this doesn't seem the most efficient way of rasing money for any charity .... unless one of the petrol companies joins in to help.

The End is Nigh

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/30606031?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/30606031">A Movement in Slow Motion</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/studiocanoe">Studiocanoe</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Im in

I have been trying to persuade some of by mates to do it but no one is biting yet. Feck them, there seems to be a few tossers up for the challenge, so I'm in.

See some of you there.

Jimmy Mac :flag

Sounds like a great idea....would love to give it a go:thumb2

Tempted by this, I've read quite a few ironbutt reports over on ADVrider and I'm kinda intrigued. However, due to the nature of my work I can't really plan far enough ahead to say for certain I can do it. I'll follow along with the thread and, if the opportunity comes up, might well be up for it.

I wouldn't be planning to do the silly stuff like fitting long range tanks plumbed into the fuel system that some people do, though I might see if I could borrow an adventure tank if someone has one knocking about spare (because that's likely :aidan )

I completed this ride in 2010 and great fun it was too.Will do it again poss next year.
Also IBA UK is having a problem at the moment with a bit of luck it will be sorted soon some of us are working behind the scene to sort this.
Dont let getting a cert put people off doing this as its for RBL.
cheers Bob

sounds good, and it won't be easy
i have done south cheshire to wadenswil near zurich swiss just short of 900miles in 16 hours on an 1150 adventure including undersea train
lovely clear european roads !!
uk roads may be a different matter ?
if you go 2 up with intercoms is it 500miles ??

by that thinking if I could get 20 midgets on the bike all I'd need to do is about 1 mile....:D

Back
Top Bottom