2012 Royal British Legion Iron Butt 1000 - Are you tough enough? June 22-24.

Me Too

Just registered and paid, planing on doing a northern route, clockwise
Shouild be a good ride, hopfully meet everybody for a beer on friday or saturday night :beerjug:
hey Dave, have you registerd yet

Seems fitting that I am writing this as its -2 in North London. Looks like we have got about 13 bods who have signed up so far. Good stuff. As we are now in 2012 time to get some basic planning.

1. First if you are planning on joining some fat blokes on a cross country tour and I don't have your name down here can you please let me know. Please only put your name down if you have registered with the RBLR and paid your £20. Details of how to register for the event can be found here if you have not registered.

2. June is still a long time away but GS John is sussing out some group accommodation nearby. The theme for the accommodation is cheap and cheerful. So we can get an idea of numbers can you post up whether you like to join the group accommodation or not soon. It will be likely be difficult to grow the group for latecomers once we book. If you were planning on doing your own thing or camping no worries. I'm sure we will find somewhere to eat on the Friday closer to the date.

3. Fundraising - This is after all a charity event. I'm in the process of setting up a page on Justgiving which I find the easiest way to raise money. The site tracks your progress, you don't have to collect from people, the site automatically manages gift aid (in which the charity gets a contribution from HMRC if they are still solvent) and the money goes straight to the Legion. If you want me to add you as a team member to the Justgiving team page after you sign up to Justgiving let me know. You are also free to walk around with an ice cream bucket if that's what you prefer. Different strokes for different folks.

4. Group riding - Some people have asked if they can be paired up and what about group riding etc. This is a very personal choice. Generally from those that have done this before (I have not) large group riding is difficult if not impossible during a timed event, (particularly at petrol stations etc.), slows everyone down, and is dangerous given different riding styles. Group riding is also really boring and tedious. Also the event has timed starts and there are four routes route. Pairs or threes does have advantages of having assistance if you get a flat, break down, your Garmin packs up (or you loose your map) or something bad unfortunately goes wrong. Going it alone gives the satisfaction of beating your chest when in the bar but this also has risks particularly if you are in an area with no mobile coverage. If you are interested in getting paired up send me a PM with which route your planning on doing and whether your slow and steady, progressive or a rocket and which part of country you are in. Although it would fun to match people who were slow and a rocket this wouldn't be too much fun over a 24 hour period. I'll try to group people in the same part of the country first so you could meet up before June to plan route, stops and decide which is your favourite animal protein. I'm matching names, routes, location and riding style - the rest is up to you. 24 hours is a long time to be with someone you find annoying (but may make you complete the Iron Butt more progressively :D). Strategy, strategy, strategy.

Rock on June :beerjug:

NLC - PM sent with information.

Regarding group digs.....I'll know for def in a couple of days, so will post up again with a Y or N....:thumb2

I have book a twin room booked got a spare bed if anyone wants to share P.M me

Hi PM'd details. I will probably camp - hopefully I will not regret it!

johnboy

Seems fitting that I am writing this as its -2 in North London. Looks like we have got about 13 bods who have signed up so far. Good stuff. As we are now in 2012 time to get some basic planning.

1. First if you are planning on joining some fat blokes on a cross country tour and I don't have your name down here can you please let me know. Please only put your name down if you have registered with the RBLR and paid your £20. Details of how to register for the event can be found here if you have not registered.

2. June is still a long time away but GS John is sussing out some group accommodation nearby. The theme for the accommodation is cheap and cheerful. So we can get an idea of numbers can you post up whether you like to join the group accommodation or not soon. It will be likely be difficult to grow the group for latecomers once we book. If you were planning on doing your own thing or camping no worries. I'm sure we will find somewhere to eat on the Friday closer to the date.

3. Fundraising - This is after all a charity event. I'm in the process of setting up a page on Justgiving which I find the easiest way to raise money. The site tracks your progress, you don't have to collect from people, the site automatically manages gift aid (in which the charity gets a contribution from HMRC if they are still solvent) and the money goes straight to the Legion. If you want me to add you as a team member to the Justgiving team page after you sign up to Justgiving let me know. You are also free to walk around with an ice cream bucket if that's what you prefer. Different strokes for different folks.

4. Group riding - Some people have asked if they can be paired up and what about group riding etc. This is a very personal choice. Generally from those that have done this before (I have not) large group riding is difficult if not impossible during a timed event, (particularly at petrol stations etc.), slows everyone down, and is dangerous given different riding styles. Group riding is also really boring and tedious. Also the event has timed starts and there are four routes route. Pairs or threes does have advantages of having assistance if you get a flat, break down, your Garmin packs up (or you loose your map) or something bad unfortunately goes wrong. Going it alone gives the satisfaction of beating your chest when in the bar but this also has risks particularly if you are in an area with no mobile coverage. If you are interested in getting paired up send me a PM with which route your planning on doing and whether your slow and steady, progressive or a rocket and which part of country you are in. Although it would fun to match people who were slow and a rocket this wouldn't be too much fun over a 24 hour period. I'll try to group people in the same part of the country first so you could meet up before June to plan route, stops and decide which is your favourite animal protein. I'm matching names, routes, location and riding style - the rest is up to you. 24 hours is a long time to be with someone you find annoying (but may make you complete the Iron Butt more progressively :D). Strategy, strategy, strategy.

Rock on June :beerjug:

Oops, just found this thread. Already booked. North, anti-clockwise for me. I have also booked Leeds-Colton Travelodge, £55 for two nights, Pizzahut on site, supermarket over the road for supplies and 7 miles from Squires
Donnie.

Sorted my digs for Friday night - I'll be staying with a mate in Harrogate, so will be fuelled & supplied up ready for Sat am start....:clap

Team fundraising page is now set up on Justgiving here.

If you are using Justgiving and want to be added to the team page click here.

Any and all donations appreciated.:beerjug:

Fair play to you guys - 1000 miles, at 50mph is 20 hours!

Good effort to all those even willing to enter.

Bounce - I'll sponsor you you're 50 quid so that you don't have any excuses :thumb2

Bounce - I'll sponsor you you're 50 quid so that you don't have any excuses :thumb2

Thx Mav.....:thumb2:thumb2......it's all about the giving; first, I had to grow a tache in November & suffer the humility of it for a month!!!!!!!!

At least this fund raiser will be a bit more fun....:clap :clap :clap

Thx Mav.....:thumb2:thumb2......it's all about the giving; first, I had to grow a tache in November & suffer the humility of it for a month!!!!!!!!

At least this fund raiser will be a bit more fun....:clap :clap :clap

No worries chap - you're the one doing the hardwork!

Let me know how/when you need paying :thumb2

Justgiving update - from the organisers of RBLR1000

Many entrants to the RBLR1000 have asked about using the online sponsorship service, Just Giving. Here is a brief rundown of what you need to do if you are going to raise money this way.

1. The charity to use is the main Royal British Legion one as we are all linked in by the same charity number

2. Use 'RIDERS' in the title, followed by the Event name e.g. RIDERS - RBLR1000

3. Send an email to treasurer@rblr.co.uk with your name, and the name that you have registered with Just Giving (if they are different e.g. you may have included a nickname).

4. On closing your Just Giving account, send a link to your JustGiving page to us with the total raised so we can add the sponsorship money to the RBLR.

If you have already setup a Just Giving account you can change the name of it by going to Your Account > Your Pages > [select your page] > Edit Your Page icon > [edit Page Title to RIDERS-RBLR1000] > Save button at bottom of screen.

What's with the line...." a bunch of fat blokes "...WTF!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

I'll have to work a bit harder to achieve that status.......:eek:

Recognising an addiction or problem is the first step to curing it. I like pies a bit too much. :D

Three sat navs, two clocks and a bottle of gatorade. If you ever thought that you carried to much crap on the bike watch on. Amazing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TMmMLxCUaHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom