Motorcycle Maintenance Courses

KennyD

Reaction score
I've never been a spanners man, always defaulted into sending the bike to the dealer at the first sign of trouble.

Does anyone know of a motorcycle maintenance course to get me going? I'm in Stonehaven / Aberdeen, and obviously it would need to be with previous experience of 'none'.

Thanks
Kenny

have you had a look at the local colleges as a few do maintenance type courses at night ?

:thumb2 +1

Roynie and I did a m/c maintenance course at our local college in the IOW last summer. I'm pretty sure most colleges offer them.

Also, depending on the motivation behind wanting to learn, BMW now do a day-long "Adventure Maintenance" course at their ORS base in Wales. Although a lot more expensive than a college course, we reckon we probably learned more in a day with Simon Pavey and co, than 5 or 6 two hour sessions. We just made a long weekend of it and tacked an extra day onto an ORS course.

Nearest college evening class I could find when I looked for you is at Dundee College - miles away.

Mind you, when I did mine I had to travel as far to Galashiels to Borders College.

Cheers

Alistair.

GS Mtce Course in Wales ?

Please indicate what this course covered.
Is it worth a ferry trip from Dublin ?
What starting level of knowledge does it assume?
Any pointers appreciated to help make a decision.

Nearest college evening class I could find when I looked for you is at Dundee College - miles away.

Mind you, when I did mine I had to travel as far to Galashiels to Borders College.

Cheers

Alistair.

Did it cover rear brake lever adjustment? :nenau

Does Jewel & Esk not offer one now?

Please indicate what this course covered.
Is it worth a ferry trip from Dublin ?
What starting level of knowledge does it assume?
Any pointers appreciated to help make a decision.

Here's the linky.

I think we did the very first one. The format may have changed a bit, but they started from a very basic level. Explanation of the difference between dry and wet sump, different types of oil, how a blocked air filter interferes with the engine, pros and cons of chain and shaft drives ... We were split into two groups. In the morning we took a "tour" of a 1200GS and an 800GS, not particularly "hands on", but a discussion about checking bearings, adjusting levers to suit the rider and other "get to know the bike" type stuff. Then, in the afternoon, we all got to change brake pads, air filters, wheels, tyres, etc. on a couple of 1200GSs. Everyone got to fully participate ... even me. (I was the only woman on the course.)

The tutors are the guys who fix all the ORS bikes when we break them! It's all very much aimed at getting yourself out of a fix if you're on a trip, miles from anywhere. There was talk about what spares to carry and what to do if your exhaust goes under and you get water in your engine.

Thoroughly enjoyable. Well worth £199 in my book, especially if you are tacking it onto a weekend's ORS. :thumb

I've never been a spanners man, always defaulted into sending the bike to the dealer at the first sign of trouble.
Does anyone know of a motorcycle maintenance course to get me going? I'm in Stonehaven / Aberdeen, and obviously it would need to be with previous experience of 'none'.

I've been exactly in your situation knowing nothing about fixing any bike issues. Unfortunately, college courses were not for me due to the price and too much focus on the theory. But I was lucky one to meet people who agreed to train me while I've assisted them for free. Maybe you should look for a "training ship"?

I've been exactly in your situation knowing nothing about fixing any bike issues. Unfortunately, college courses were not for me due to the price and too much focus on the theory. But I was lucky one to meet people who agreed to train me while I've assisted them for free. Maybe you should look for a "training ship"?

9 years on.:blast:D

Hello guys, maybe you can advise where i can find in UK motorcycle mechanic online courses? i try to search, but no results, i just found Pen Foster school, but in US. :D

Step 1 Buy a detailed manual for your bike if you can .

Step 2 decide what task you want to tackle first

Step 3 search on you tube and you’ll find many videos on how to complete the task , include the pitfalls you might come across and the mistakes people will make.

Many of the videos will be done by numpty home mechanics like myself who have done their own research “found wisdom” and wanted to share it with other numptys. You will also find experienced professional workshop technicians doing very good videos.

Step 5 Complete task and enjoy the satisfaction

Step 6 Pick another

I knew nothing about Scooters when I bought my GTS300 , it somehow seemed alien to a motorcycle, and found a brilliant channel on Vespa maintenance based in the US + bought a Haynes manual .

Just my 2p:thumb2

Ian

Step 1 Buy a detailed manual for your bike if you can .

Step 2 decide what task you want to tackle first

Step 3 search on you tube and you’ll find many videos on how to complete the task , include the pitfalls you might come across and the mistakes people will make.

Many of the videos will be done by numpty home mechanics like myself who have done their own research “found wisdom” and wanted to share it with other numptys. You will also find experienced professional workshop technicians doing very good videos.

Step 5 Complete task and enjoy the satisfaction

Step 6 Pick another

I knew nothing about Scooters when I bought my GTS300 , it somehow seemed alien to a motorcycle, and found a brilliant channel on Vespa maintenance based in the US + bought a Haynes manual .

Just my 2p:thumb2

Ian

All this is done :) i need sertificate :)

Thanks
Kenny

If you do a course you will be on a slippery slope and eventually end up with £1000's of tools,diagnostic kit , a motorcycle workbench , compressor the size of a small car , a lathe etc etc and a few years down the line find your 24'x 20' double garage is just not big enough and will be looking at another £20 grand to build a proper workshop.

You have been warned

Back
Top Bottom