Exmoor Explorer Off Road

Can't wait to get out on my 1100 and try out some of those routes.

I'll give you a call at the weekend when I know whats doing next week but they are too wet for a GS at the moment.

I have marked up the two maps, missed one this way yesterday that needs looking at and then a few below South Molton (although think these are the ones you've done so just need to tick them on the map). There are another bunch of good looking ones to the east of Barnstaple we both need to do.

Looking at the maps it would seem the logical way of routing it would be - out of the site, 3 or 4 close by and on the way to Bampton, 7 or 8 around there then upto Wivey for another 5 - over to Tarr Steps for extreme fording and then lunch at either Exford or Simonsbath. Then about another 10 trails to the east of Barnstaple and above the A361.

Just been putting stuff onto mapsource and at a rough guess the routes looking like about 125 miles, 30 trails & 1 river crossing.

Trippy,

Bury Ford pic- my Landy's washing place (and the trailer if I can get away with it)!. Recent rains have eroded the break-out on the west bank at Tarr Stepps should anyone be adventurous enough to try a ride thru. May be sorted by the time of the ride but a bit of a suprise if you're thinking of an easy hop out. It's also very rocky just now. Difficult enough in a Land Rover.
I'm based between Dulverton and Bridgetown and have bike trailer and some workshop facilities if you need a hand over the w/e. PM me if you want to drop by for a cuppa. If you've done the Exmoor Trial section at Broford Farm you'll be in the right area.

Fluff.

Aaah, i see the orf road's coming along. With Chrimbo out of the way, i've pm'd Barry G, Sid and Jim to arrange a meet to talk trails. I've taken my GS along a fair few trails in Devon so our combined knowledge should lead to a couple of good days out. Let's hope we get some great weather as too wet and too mucky isn't a good combination for a GS. Barry's offered to run a pogo only route, which Uncle Ricky may be of assistance. I'm hoping Jim and Sid can look after, and have a good laugh at, the GSers looking to go off the tarmac.

Aaah, i see the orf road's coming along. With Chrimbo out of the way, i've pm'd Barry G, Sid and Jim to arrange a meet to talk trails. I've taken my GS along a fair few trails in Devon so our combined knowledge should lead to a couple of good days out. Let's hope we get some great weather as too wet and too mucky isn't a good combination for a GS. Barry's offered to run a pogo only route, which Uncle Ricky may be of assistance. I'm hoping Jim and Sid can look after, and have a good laugh at, the GSers looking to go off the tarmac.

I'll give you a call in the next week or so and sort out a pint. Hoping to get out with Sid later this week (weather permiting) and do some of the trails up towards South Molton and Barnstaple. Then when we have done those Sid is going to ride the ones down here to make sure they are GSable. I have ruled one out but the others are looking like go'ers. Will definately be TKC's and expect a drop or two though.

Looking like Thursday for a ride.:) Got the small 21lt plastic tank fitted to GS (instead of 41lt jobbie) and its like a different bike, it feels like a pogo now.:D

Also got a fresh set of TKC on the spare wheels to I'll fit them as well.:)

Friday ride possible but my psychiatrist has just rescheduled my weekly meeting from today to Friday 13th 4.00 pm.:( Might be fun to turn up to him with me all covered in mud.:D

Depends on how extreme you want a "pogo" route. I thought that we would put a route that would be suitable for any pogo and any "well ridden GS" ie not novice on a GS with TKCs who doesn't mind dropping it.

I know from past rides that Richie (Mad Mountain Man) can get a GS to places many pogos riders would think twice. I'm no riding god but my enthusiasm often exceeds my ability and takes me places my R1100GS has no right to be.:D.

And if Trippy can get his lardy Yamaha around then anyone on a GS and certainly anyone on a pogo will have no problem keeping up.

Come along to our off road ride on your pogo and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.:)

I'll try to get out in next week with helmetcam and post up routes on here.

Sid

Depends on how extreme you want a "pogo" route. I thought that we would put a route that would be suitable for any pogo and any "well ridden GS" ie not novice on a GS with TKCs who doesn't mind dropping it.

I know from past rides that Richie (Mad Mountain Man) can get a GS to places many pogos riders would think twice. I'm no riding god but my enthusiasm often exceeds my ability and takes me places my R1100GS has no right to be.:D.

And if Trippy can get his lardy Yamaha around then anyone on a GS and certainly anyone on a pogo will have no problem keeping up.

Come along to our off road ride on your pogo and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.:)

I'll try to get out in next week with helmetcam and post up routes on here.

Sid

Sid I was up Barnstaple a couple of weeks ago and done quiet a few green lanes, alot of the ones we done you would struggle with a GS and the ones that I would do down to Taunton and back via Exmoor/Dulverton would certainly not be suitable for anything but pogos

Sid I was up Barnstaple a couple of weeks ago and done quiet a few green lanes, alot of the ones we done you would struggle with a GS and the ones that I would do down to Taunton and back via Exmoor/Dulverton would certainly not be suitable for anything but pogos

Those lanes should be much drier come May though.

Thats my intention for our off road ride as well. It won't be a road ride with a few gravel tracks thrown in, which is why I started this thread so that as we check them out we can post photos which give everyone an idea of what the ride will be like. That said it won't be anywhere near as hard as some of the rides Rich has led before and I have dropped two lanes already as a bit too tight / rough.

I will at some point get out with Sid and do the northern sections and then we'll do the whole route with him on his GS so he can ok the stuff down here.

Come the weekend the intention is to have a route somewhere around 125 miles with 25 to 30 sections. The group will stop before each section and directions given for road riding to the other end. Both marked maps will be on display at the campsite with all the sections numbered with a brief description.

The idea is for a nice day out on good roads with a varied selection of sections all that a GS could get down depending on the rider. No shame in missing a few, lots of help if you get stuck, lots of photos taken (especially when you fall off) and most importantly fun.

TKCs would be much better on a GS however again its down to the rider, I have seen Shaun (cookieboy) take his 1200 down some horrors on Tourances with no problem.

Those lanes should be much drier come May though.

The ones I am on about are tricky rocky climbs. I must have misunderstood I thought that as well as GS off road that there was going to be a pogo only ride which is where I chirped in offering to help/lead a ride.

No problem :beerjug:

I thought that as well as GS off road that there was going to be a pogo only ride which is where I chirped in offering to help/lead a ride.

I thought that as well and guess there will be at least half a dozen pogos attending.

The larger bike ride so far (max 15) ...

Me - Yamaha TTR600
Sid - 1100GS
Johnnyboxer - Xchallenge
Cookieboy - R80g/s

I thought that as well and guess there will be at least half a dozen pogos attending.

The larger bike ride so far (max 15) ...

Me - Yamaha TTR600
Sid - 1100GS
Johnnyboxer - Xchallenge
Cookieboy - R80g/s

I will catch up with the thread when I come back, off to Finland tomorrow on a skiing holiday :thumb

Me - Yamaha TTR600
Sid - 1100GS
Johnnyboxer - Xchallenge
Cookieboy - R80g/s
Paintman - Husky TE630
Ross Dean - KTM 990 Adv

TTR600, XChallenge and TE630's are larger bikes now are they? :D

You can put me down please on either a larger bike, if I find a decent one at the right price, or I'll bring my R1150GSA on TKCs. :thumb

Me - Yamaha TTR600
Sid - 1100GS
Johnnyboxer - Xchallenge
Cookieboy - R80g/s
Paintman - Husky TE630
Ross Dean - KTM 990 Adv
Ditchwater - R1150GSA
RD. - Husky TE450 (Possibly) :aidan

Keep em coming, any 1200's coming out to play?
Need a few more GS's.

Me - Yamaha TTR600
Sid - 1100GS
Johnnyboxer - Xchallenge
Cookieboy - R80g/s
Paintman - Husky TE630
Ross Dean - KTM 990 Adv
Ditchwater - R1150GSA
RD. - Husky TE450

Back
Top Bottom