Wapping's Wanders 2012 - Four days - Dijon/Cote d'Or/Beaune -1 June - 5 June 2012

Hi Lloyd,

Pimms o'clock indeed.

Would be good to catch up with you all for a jaunt next year.

Have fun :thumb2

Well, with a bit of jiggery-pokery, we are all in. What's more we all appear to have a bed, which is nice.

One each I hope.....:augie

oohh err he's a tad fussy. ;)

There may well an indication of what we may expect in the Wiktionary definition of jiggery pokery.

Noun

jiggery-pokery (uncountable)
1.Trickery or misrepresentation.
2.Manipulation
3.An ambiguous reference to sexual intercourse.

[edit] Synonyms
(trickery): hanky-panky, skulduggery, trickery

Jiggery-pokery notwithstanding, I have done some work on some alternative routes down from our first night's hotel to our second night's hotel.

I had erred a bit on the side of caution, not sure how many bods there would be and / or quite what hotel(s) we might end up in. Now I know, we can maybe ring a few changes.

I will just re-check to see if they work OK and lob them up..... Before we go!

Richard

PS Now that there are six bikes we might run a bit of the good ol' marker 'drop-off' system, to keep us all reasonably together. Let's see how we feel on the day.

If anyone is stuck and can't access Mapsource before we go, let me know. I can bring a small laptop to share the routes or use an SD card for a 550 or 660 Garmin device.

Jiggery-pokery notwithstanding, I have done some work on some alternative routes down from our first night's hotel to our second night's hotel.

I had erred a bit on the side of caution, not sure how many bods there would be and / or quite what hotel(s) we might end up in. Now I know, we can maybe ring a few changes.

I will just re-check to see if they work OK and lob them up..... Before we go!

Richard

PS Now that there are six bikes we might run a bit of the good ol' marker 'drop-off' system, to keep us all reasonably together. Let's see how we feel on the day.

If anyone is stuck and can't access Mapsource before we go, let me know. I can bring a small laptop to share the routes or use an SD card for a 550 or 660 Garmin device.

Im a clueless 660 user.
took me ages last night just to figure out how to get my maps updated so an sd card or laptop to share the route would be nice
:beerjug:
Andy

Here we go.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/FINAL - Dijon June 2012.gdb

I have added three alternative routes down from our first night's hotel to our second. They are titled (somewhat unimaginatively) Alt 1, Alt 2 and, wait for it...... Alt 3.

Alt 1 misses out the motorway completely.

Alt's 2 and 3 bring in a chunk of motorway to either the St Pol junction (a town I was very nearly killed leaving) or down a bit further to the St Quentin junction.

All three alternatives are similar in length, all close on 300 miles. So it's fair old schlep whichever way we go. The motorway chunks simply speed the whole day's overall average riding speed up, that's all. The motorway bit is not too oppressive (we will be using it on the way back, anyway) but the country roads are more fun, of course.

Of the three I favour alternative one. But at 300 miles (on D and N roads) means we should aim to get wheels rolling at 09:00 latest on Saturday morning. We should then have enough spare time for a mid-morning coffee stop for say 30 minutes, lunch and a break in the afternoon somewhere for another 30 or so and still make the hotel in reasonable order. That way we can break the day (and the overeall distance) up reasonably well. Lunch and drink stops we will have to find on the hoof somewhere..... I'm sure summat should turn up.... sometimes it doesn't :eek:

Let's see how the day looks on Saturday morning.

The day on Sunday is less far at just under 200 miles. It's down into the Morvan region (one of the nicest but overlooked) areas for motorbiking in France. It's hilly and wooded, with some bends that can catch you out! So whilst shorter, it's slower, meaning a decent timed start is best. The end of the day brings us from the Morvan across into the Cote d'Or to our hotel for the next two nights. No motorways and few real major roads..... no cart tracks either, I hope.

Monday, is shorter at about 150 miles, riding some good roads in the Cote d'Or, in what is near enough an up-down-up-down direction. A sort of 'M' shape if you like. Again, no motorways and little to no major roads.

Tuesday, it's back to home. All say, 'Booooo!'. This is 350 miles, but the last chunk is on the motorway from St Quentin anyway. So it needn't be a balls out thrash, if we can get going at a decent time in the morning.

I think that is everything now. Just remember to fill up before getting on the train, please. Oh, that and your passport, driving licence, motor cover note, V5........ and (preferably) some travel / breakdown insurance, so that bods can then help us to help you, if the wheels really do come off :thumb2 I will bring a basic tool kit, puncture repair gubbins, a compressor and that sort of malarkey, so don't go and buy some (unless you really want to).

Any questions, ping 'em up or PM me.... See you all at the passenger waiting 'experience' thing :thumb2

Richard

PS Will PM you all my mobile no. Any problems on the day, let's stay in touch by text or whatever.

Weekend forcasts for Dijon area risen by three degrees this morning:thumb2

Bluetooth lid not compatible with newish I phone.:blast

Richard,

To echo Kev's sentiment - have a safe and enjoyable journey. Me and the venerable Mrs Brenchleyhibs hope to join you on an autumn wander.

Maybe time for another beer (or low calorie soda water) in London sometime?

Cheers,
Andy

Just back home after 1250 excelent miles in great company :thumb2

Well done Richard, yet another success, even if 2 did go through the wrong peage exit and ended up on the way to Boulogne :augie

Neil

Well done Richard, yet another success, even if 2 did go through the wrong peage exit and ended up on the way to Boulogne :augie

"Calais" "Boulogne" Easy to get them babies mixed up....:augie

I wonder if either of them are home yet....no names, no pack drill...Paintman, you should no better!!!!

A great weekend thanks chaps, Richard, ta for all your hard work, I'm sure I speak for us all when I say it's appreciated!

Hope to catch up with you all in the future,

John

Back
Top Bottom