Day 9 – Mon 25 June - Back to Germany, via Switzerland and Liechtenstein – 201 miles

Joybringer

Reaction score
OPTION A via Fluelapass...201 miles

Almost impossible to avoid Switzerland, but as Liechtenstein uses the same currency, we make need to take a small supply of Swiss Francs… Leaving Nauders into Switzerland, over the Flüelapass skirting Davos, on through Klosters and into Liechtenstein through an interesting border crossing at Maienfeld. A short detour to Vaduz Castle (if time permits), and back on the road to Tuttlingen, Germany.

Day9atiff.jpg

HOTEL HERE

......the first part of the leg is swiss midlands.. boaring.........you see the alps in a distance but you just bimble in the planes/////// advice .....go from schaffhausen along the rhein upwards and from constance towards Wil -Wattwil - Wildhaus-Vaduz .......... there will be less traffic and more bends and it'll take you about a hour longer .... to get to heidi

the seccond part is better over the fluelapass . .eg

good luck anyway

......the first part of the leg is swiss midlands.. boaring.........you see the alps in a distance but you just bimble in the planes/////// advice .....go from schaffhausen along the rhein upwards and from constance towards Wil -Wattwil - Wildhaus-Vaduz .......... there will be less traffic and more bends and it'll take you about a hour longer .... to get to heidi

the seccond part is better over the fluelapass . .eg

good luck anyway

It's an opinion...

If it was me I would go via Zurs, Lech Wrath then head to Lindau, along Bordensee and up to the Black forest. Having been to Liechtenstein a couple of times it only worth a visit if you have a suitcase full of money to deposit! There is nothing there aside a small private castle and a few small towns .

If it was me I would go via Zurs, Lech Wrath then head to Lindau, along Bordensee and up to the Black forest. Having been to Liechtenstein a couple of times it only worth a visit if you have a suitcase full of money to deposit! There is nothing there aside a small private castle and a few small towns .

Well, I haven't been, so I'm going :augie

Albula gets my vote with a nice cuppa at the top of the pass with the addition of cowbells ringing in your lugs! :thumb2

Albula gets my vote with a nice cuppa at the top of the pass with the addition of cowbells ringing in your lugs! :thumb2

I've done both a couple of times bit can't make up my mind. Both are good for different reasons...

...I'm liking the beautification of the Albula...

:thumb

It's an opinion...

if you don't look for opinions .........why d fuuuuc do you ask .....?

it's a forum ........and if you tell anyone afterwards that you have done them before and can't make your mind up......... ////>????// WTF ////////

I have done them hundreds of times and i have a opinion ..............grrrrrrr

I've riden from Chur to the Stelvio three times and always taken the Lenzerheide pass (Heidi country) as its a great way to start the day.

You can then ride up to Davos for the start of the Fluella or head straight over the Albula. The Fluella is a better riding road with a good surface and nice open bends. The Albula is much narrower and rugged. Either are great rides, but I'd recommend the Albula in bad weather.

I've riden from Chur to the Stelvio three times and always taken the Lenzerheide pass (Heidi country) as its a great way to start the day.

You can then ride up to Davos for the start of the Fluella or head straight over the Albula. The Fluella is a better riding road with a good surface and nice open bends. The Albula is much narrower and rugged. Either are great rides, but I'd recommend the Albula in bad weather.

Thanks, Sven. Some good info. We'll be heading to the UK on that leg, but I think the same observation applies.

Much appreciated :thumb

if you don't look for opinions .........why d fuuuuc do you ask .....?

it's a forum ........and if you tell anyone afterwards that you have done them before and can't make your mind up......... ////>????// WTF ////////

I have done them hundreds of times and i have a opinion ..............grrrrrrr

I'm really sorry...I don't speak Chav. However, I'm typing this slowly as I suspect you're not a fast reader.

I never said you didn't have an opinion. I actually underlined the fact that there was a stated opinion.:nenau

I find it very odd that you have all that profanity to spout after only 3 typed words (4 if you include the abbreviated 'is').

If you have indeed ridden the passes 'hundreds of times', and if you want to help by interjecting your thoughts and ideas, then why not offer something a little more informative and be less offensive? Every pass has its own idiosyncrasies, and on this occasion, I'm offering a choice.

In fact, if you have all that experience, it would be good to have you along...if only for the comedy value.

Let me know and I'll add you to the Reserve list.:thumb

IIRC schaffhausen has the rhinefalls, which is pretty impressive, and also touratech for those with too much money :)

went through litchenstien last year. there is nothing there, unless you count the most expensive petrol i've ever seen :eek:

Thanks, Sven. Some good info. We'll be heading to the UK on that leg, but I think the same observation applies.

Much appreciated :thumb

Just noticed a typo in my response - I meant to I'd not recommend the Albula in bad weather.

IIRC schaffhausen has the rhinefalls, which is pretty impressive, and also touratech for those with too much money :)

went through litchenstien last year. there is nothing there, unless you count the most expensive petrol i've ever seen :eek:

We actually go through/past Schaffhausen on the way back (via Tuttlingen) on day 9. I thought about a rideout there on day 10 (a day off), so that those that get turned on by gushing water can get their fix, together with those that get turned on by spending wads of readies in TT :D

Liechtenstein just happens to be in the way - I thought about diverting more westerly via Lake Zurich, but as we have to stop in Tuttlingen (due to the lack of hotel choices/rooms) it may make for a much longer day.

I'll revist, as my first routes included it, but the hotel the route was designed to link to had no rooms. I set a target of 250 miles per day being manageable, but if an extra 10 or 20 creeps in, it probably won't make too much difference.

I'll have a play...

IMO the albula is not the easiest to travel in a big group because in the holiday season there are lots of tourists on it enjoying the great views and as you know it has lots of narrow sections where it's hard to pass....
the flüela on the other hand is well built and maintained because it's mainly used by commuters from and to davos. They drive and are not mobile hurdles which makes it a great experience...........on the downside you will be in davos in a instant but there is a solution for this problem.......the link from davos to tiefencastel ...it's wide and almost untouched.....and it would bring you back to the route with the albula.......

BTW I lived for 34 years in the middle of the swiss alps and have done passes after dinner every day possible..... and I am tempted to come as well because it looks like a good trip....

IMO the albula is not the easiest to travel in a big group because in the holiday season there are lots of tourists on it enjoying the great views and as you know it has lots of narrow sections where it's hard to pass....
the flüela on the other hand is well built and maintained because it's mainly used by commuters from and to davos. They drive and are not mobile hurdles which makes it a great experience...........on the downside you will be in davos in a instant but there is a solution for this problem.......the link from davos to tiefencastel ...it's wide and almost untouched.....and it would bring you back to the route with the albula.......

BTW I lived for 34 years in the middle of the swiss alps and have done passes after dinner every day possible..... and I am tempted to come as well because it looks like a good trip....

Blimey! I wish I was there now! I think you've decided it for me :thumb2

Thanks - this is hard-to-get information - and you would be very welcome to join us if you want/can :thumb

Back
Top Bottom