Tyres for the trails?

Lee Frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need to put more aggressive tyres on my newly-acquired DRZ as it'll be used for trail riding. Had Cross AC10s on my last DRZ which were a bit squirmy on the tarmac between trails. Would MT21s be a better choice?

MT21s are not so good in mud Lee, although pretty good in the dry and on tarmac. I'm using Mitas Co2 on the rear these days, they last really well. 2k miles plus.

Goes well with either, AC10, Dunlop Enduro Competition etc. on the front, just goes easy with the front brake on slippy tarmac :eek

+1 for the Mitas CO2 rear but I use a Mitas C19 on the front, have found this combination great for use in the Peaks - :thumb

I too use a Mitas C02 on the rear, and an C19 (preference) or C13 on the front.
Cheap as chips and fantastic mileage in return. I have had two rears now that have done over 3000 mile. They go back on too for Devon trips (wet bedrock slabs).

Thanks chaps. Looks like Mitas get the thumbs up all round :thumb2

Picking up a new (to me) DRZ400s later this week and want to get some tyres on order for the trails.
Used Mitas C02 rear and C19 on my last DRZ that I sold ages ago. Still a good combo?
In terms of sizes, as I don't have the bike with me yet, am I correct in thinking sizes are: rear - 120/90/18, front 90/90/21?
Oh, and what are the stock rim sizes on a DRZ400s? Want to order some rim locks as well. I'm assuming 1.85 front and 2.15 rear but could do with confirmation!

Picking up a new (to me) DRZ400s later this week and want to get some tyres on order for the trails.
Used Mitas C02 rear and C19 on my last DRZ that I sold ages ago. Still a good combo?
In terms of sizes, as I don't have the bike with me yet, am I correct in thinking sizes are: rear - 120/90/18, front 90/90/21?
Oh, and what are the stock rim sizes on a DRZ400s? Want to order some rim locks as well. I'm assuming 1.85 front and 2.15 rear but could do with confirmation!

Thanks Lee, I need to ask the same questions as I picked my DRZ up at the weekend.

Firing up an old thread here.

Where I live we have very few trails, there are a few short sections, but getting to them is about 15 miles of back lanes / single track roads and then there is only about 5 miles of dirt / gravel tracks in a 20 mile circuit, followed by a similar distance home.

As I will be doing a 50 mile ride with only 5 miles of dirt tyres like AC-10's are just too extreme, they would be no fun on 90% of my route, want I really need is a tyre that is good enough to enjoy on the narrow tarmac back lanes I will be using to get to and from some trails.

All I can find with regard to "50/50" tyres are those aimed at large adventure bikes like the Annakee Wild and TKC80, having read up a bit my guess is the TKC would be better as it is a softer tyre and the Michelin was developed very much with heavy bikes and higher speeds in mind.

Any advice greatly appreciated

I've used TKC80s on my G/S for several years.

On the road, after the first few miles, I forget they're there. Really good on the road.

Off the road, they're okay unless it's really muddy, everything else they seem to handle.

Not really much else out there from what I can find on the internet, other stuff is either very much a road tyre, or a full on Enduro / MX tyre that happens to be road legal.

I can get the Heidenau K60 as well, but from doing some research it would seem most folk reckon the TKC's are the better dirt tyres.Bridgestone are bringing in a new tyre in this segment, but are starting with big Adventure bike sizes and the DR sizes are not scheduled until 2020!

Back
Top Bottom