V9 maps for a Quest anyone?

Micky

Never knowingly understood
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been in touch with Garmin ... they no longer sell V9 mapping for the Quest :(

I rather like the Quest I use on my G650Xcountry but would like to update from the V6 maps to the later V9 ... Mainly because of the better mapping of Ireland

Anyone got V9 for sale please? Or even a Quest with V9 mapping if it's at the right price. What about unlock codes? Are they for the maps or the unit?

:beerjug:

Which Quest do you have? Does it take NT or none NT mapping?

Oh, looks like Schtum beat me anyway...

Micky, do a dig on the Garmin site.....It's a long time since I used my Quest, but i've got a feeling that it won't run the V9 mapping :nenau

Micky, do a dig on the Garmin site.....It's a long time since I used my Quest, but i've got a feeling that it won't run the V9 mapping :nenau

The memory won't take the full mapset but it should run both V9 and the very latest City Navigator 2009 which was the last one before the NT maps were introduced. I think.....:nenau

The memory won't take the full mapset but it should run both V9 and the very latest City Navigator 2009 which was the last one before the NT maps were introduced. I think.....:nenau

It won't take the full map set, have to chose the individual maps and download, up to it's max capacity. Just about gets the whole of the UK in.

When I've used it abroad I've put the maps in along a chosen route and the maps of the area I'm staying. Can download then the maps I require from my laptop.

I quite like the simplicity of the Quest over the all singing all dancing later models, although I do use a Nav IV on the 800.

Thanks for all the help folks :thumb

I wonder what the legal situation is now that Garmin have stopped selling the version?

I've just looked on 'the normal source' and there are lots of versions (topos of most countries, normal roads for most countries) including unlocks.....most are going to be illegal, but if they no longer sell it? :nenau

I wonder what the legal situation is now that Garmin have stopped selling the version?

I've just looked on 'the normal source' and there are lots of versions (topos of most countries, normal roads for most countries) including unlocks.....most are going to be illegal, but if they no longer sell it? :nenau

Well that's was my thoughts Bill ... I tried to do it the right way, I would've bought the mapping if available.

Mind you, years ago when the maps were sold by the country I paid fifty quid for the map of Germany and one for France, then a couple of weeks after they fetched the full feckin' European mapping out. Making my purchases redundant!

Haven't managed to get v9 to work on my Quest1 - tried various codes to no avail. Even says it's unlocked but maps are in low res format. V9 has much better coverage for west of Ireland is why I want it .... any help? Please!

The trouble with mapping any later than v7 (which is 2005) the individual tile sizes that make up the mapping increased dramatically. For the likes of a modern Garmin with loads of memory and SD card slot this isn't really an issue. For the Quest with it's 243MB (ISTR) of internal memory (US version only had 128MB) is that you're limited as to what can be loaded. The whole of the UK fitted on with v8 (2006) with these bigger map tiles but if you ventured into Europe your route would become theoretically constrained, if you had a big tour planned, by what you could fit on. Have a look at an old post of mine on the subject here.

I wound up using MetroWizz and Garmin Metroguide mapping on my Quest in the end. Unfortunately this is no longer available and as Metroguide is now well out of date, last was v9 (2007) it's not really that relevant.

Have you considered trying OpenStreetMap, check the box at the top and select the area you want. This will generate a Mapsource installer. Not too sure if the mapping will work in a Quest, this page seems to suggest that it does. This mapping is very up to date, pretty comprehensive, has smaller tile sizes that suit the Quest, has POIs and is free. No map unlocking or any shenanigans with dodgy unlock code generators :)

Have just done a test with OpenStreetMap and in fact the IMG files are bigger than those created from Garmin's 2012.40 mapping data. Hmmm... this is probably due to far greater level of detail within. Swings and roundabouts situation then :rolleyes:

Still usable on a Quest, you'll just have to load from Mapsource onto the GPS selectively depending on where you're going.

Not sure how the limited processing power of the Quest will cope :nenau

Screen grab from Mapsource in Garmin City Nav 2012.40
Swartzvald_2012-40.gif

Same from Open Street Map
Swartzvald_2012-OSM.gif

I haven't chosen this area due to higher density of detail in OSM, this is pretty representative of the difference.

Haven't managed to get v9 to work on my Quest1 - tried various codes to no avail. Even says it's unlocked but maps are in low res format. V9 has much better coverage for west of Ireland is why I want it .... any help? Please!
Just had the same issue on a (new to me) Quest 1. I had to take a software update through Mapsource then reload before I could get minor roads in Ireland.
My old Quest was a Buell branded item that had only 128mb of space. Still very good but you didn't have to go far before running out of maps. I'm a sucker for Buell branded stuff for my bike though............and old out of date Sat Navs!

Back
Top Bottom