camping fodder

Beaker

Reaction score
anyone got any good recipes for some good easy cooking on a single burner!!!

cheers :thumb2

anyone got any good recipes for some good easy cooking on a single burner!!!

cheers :thumb2

I tend to get "look what I found" meals (stupid name but stocked in Waitrose and others..) open and heat or boil in the bag and make tea with the water or it's a tin of curry and rice (cooked just stir it in).

Problem with single burner is getting things hot enough for long enough without killing your fuel.

Fresh pasta with tuna or ham is okay (add mayo & cheese) or poached eggs, but carrying ingredients is always the issue.

mmmm

my camping breakfast - a little oil - small cut bacon in first and cook till done - the 3 or 4 eggs, stir till done - then make butties

wash down with plenty of water - or tea which will boil while you're eating the egg mess

works for me - but clean the pan pronto - don't let the bugger dry on

bonus point

And get a stove which will give you hours of cooking time

Mine is a MSR whisperlite, works on unleaded petrol - does me and bruv 2 days camping on half a litre - and you refill the fuel anytime you're filling up the bike - or get a siphon pump and fill it from the tank - sorted

And get a stove which will give you hours of cooking time

Mine is a MSR whisperlite, works on unleaded petrol - does me and bruv 2 days camping on half a litre - and you refill the fuel anytime you're filling up the bike - or get a siphon pump and fill it from the tank - sorted

But won't simmer:blast

Egg mess sounds great!:drool

For pans, I've dumped the Teflon coated and titanium for proper stainless, I take a stainless scourer as it makes an everlasting cleaner, just add a bit washing up liquid or just soap.

Bit of rough grass will do as well if your being Bear Griyls ;)

simmering

We raise the pot using spare tent pegs - simmers ok

stainless scourers are good - use those - or really cheap jockbrite

grass works too for cleaning the pan - but you'd better keep that for the Rizlas

Cowboy Stew (does not contain cowboys).
Tin of mince. Tin of spuds. Tin of beans.
And try not to think about Blazing Saddles. Prrrp.

Chicken / Beef / Veg Soup
Tomato and Cheese Pasta

Dried Pasta
Tomato Sauce
Stock Cube
Cheese

Boil Pasta to cooked
Drain Water over stock cube - 1st course

Pasta add Tom sauce and cheese.....mix until warm through.

Enjoy.

Mushroom Risotto

Rice, stock cube, water, cheese + mushrooms.

Fry up mushrooms add stock and water, add rice / boil to cooked. Add cheese

thanks, I shall give the cowboy stew and 'look what we found' meals a try

:thumb2

For weekend do's, cooking for meself I'd take a portion of frozen stew/chilli/curry or whatever out of the freezer and gently heat up.
Or some pasta, can of tuna and curry powder?
All day breakfast in a can.
Soup.
Disposable BBQ and lots of meat based items.
Tin of Irish stew etc

:fnikefork

Your favourite curry.

What I occasionally did for my mountaineering weekends was to get a take away from the local curry house a few days before going away. I would get enough to ensure that it filled one of my cooking pots. You then know you have a pot full. (Some experimentation may need to take place to get the right amount.)

Let it go cold and fill the cooking pot then put it in the freezer. When completely frozen, remove from the pot, bag up and return to the freezer (I used to double bag mine). Leaving you to wash the pot for transportation.

During your trip it will probably thaw out by the time you wish to eat it.

If you use Uncle Ben's boil in the bag rice, it doesn't mess up the saucepan too much. You could also get a naan bread to accompany your meal.

It's a bit of a cheat, but dead easy.

I've also cooked pigeon breast with port and cranberry sauce with mixed vegetables and new potatoes on a meth's Trangia but that recipe is a bit more complicated.

A quick and easy starter is some pitta breads with dips like humous etc. Pitta breads a difficult to crush in your luggage.

I am just getting back into camping, etc. after many years. I have had a look at some 'ready made' packaged meals in the local supermarket, but frankly they are dreadful, with some sort of artificial meat products, etc. Dehydrated foods are expensive at my local Outdoor Centre and from memory, don't taste great, or even vaguely like freshly cooked food. I had hoped technology over the years might have improved things, but sadly not :blast They are OK if you need a quick meal after a long time in the saddle and you cannot be bothered to cook a meal at the expense of pub time, etc. but not for everyday eating on an extended trip.

Have a look at this site over on Horizons Unlimited.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/the-hu-bar/cooking-road-your-one-pot-44305

There are some good ideas and also videos of the cooking, etc. Weight and fuel are not going to be a big issue on a motor bike and although many of these recipes are for one pot, I think I would bring a second (probably gas fuelled) burner for convenience and better simmering.

If I was just going for 2-3 days, then I would make up a Chile Con Carne/Spag Blog or a Curry at home, freeze it and then would only require to thaw and reheat it, plus cook the pasta or rice.

You can also try making Bannocks (unleavened bread/flat bread). Very easy to do, especially if you premake the dough at home and bring it with you in a plastic bag or plastic container.

Of course you can eat out occasionally, though that is likely to be expensive if you are in a place like Norway or Iceland.

Grey Beard

Noodles are good. You can boil the kettle first and pour the water over the noodles.

While the kettle boils prep up a stir fry, or buy a raw kit from the supermarket. Prawns are always a good choice as you just chuck them in.

The noodles stay hot for long enough to whip up a stir fry and you can combine the two on the plate. :thumb

dried mushrooms, dried tomatoes, dried peppers, stock cube, kuskus, chilly oil, spotka or that dried salami style meat and water. throw it all in one pot takes about ten minutes to boil up and it's done... easy to chew...

tastes alright...:thumb2

We found the "look what we found" meals to be great, loads of choice, easy to cook and taste great. This is mainly what we ate going around Europe for 2 weeks when we camped.

Cafe for breakfast.
Pub for tea.
Sorted.
+1
Virtually anywhere in europe I ride has local access to a cafe, pub or supermarket with hot/cold food available costing very little

Though at a push (if I am self catering) I do sometimes carry a small cliklock tub containing 1or 2 portions of rice, pasta, dried mixed veg, instant mash potato. Several mixed flavour stock cubes, a small amount of instant gravy mix, a little curry powder, a couple of packets ketchup, brown sauce, mayo, a couple tea bags and sugar.

My billy cans are usually stocked with some of the items above and also the odd packet of dried couscous & packet soups (for added flavouring to stews etc)

With that lot on board I can pick up meat & veg up along the route before I pitch camp, and make virtually any meal I wish

I travel alone most of time so cooking can be a relaxing end to your day ,boil some new pots, do plenty so you will have some left to fry for breakfast,take off heat before quite done and fry a couple of fishcakes pots will have stayed hot and finished, serve with fresh bread. The extra pots will keep well overnight just drain and leave in pot.breakfast slice pots put them in mess tin with some oil sausage or bacon or both and fry. boil water for a brew while you eat ,i find it far easier though if i carry a small hexamine cooker as well as my coalman as this makes it poss to keep one thing hot while cooking other items. size and cost of these make them worth there weight,i think iv;e paid between £1.99 and £3.00 folding pot stand and about 24 burning tablets. I will this year swop the fish cakes for a fresh wild brown trout if i can catch one again ,

Back
Top Bottom