So far so good! 1150GS owner's update

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelp

Reaction score
Well I was a newbie last year and thought it might be useful to update here as many of you are now where I was a year ago.

I bought an ultra low mileage R1150GS from it's first owner having spent quite sometime on here just sitting soaking up the info and banter!

Reasons for purchase;
1. Comfort - needed a more sit up tourer for the odd trip with good luggage capacity and fuel range.
2. Wanted something that didn't make me ride at warp speed everywhere.
3. Didn't want savage depreciation.
4. Must be reliable as I'm no mechanic.
5. Bike to be used for fun touring mainly, no commuting etc, have another bike also for more sporty use.

Budget was around £5k initially for the bike, luggage could be extra later.

Spent about 3 months watching and checking out what was available, ended up with a few options:

R1150GS - concern over mileage as most were higher than I wanted.
Yam Fazer 1000 the original one - most were not in good order.
R1150RT - all had mega miles at the time.
Honda CB1300 - serious contender, but quite pricey
Kawasaki ZXR1200 - again nothing good enough at the time, also most had 25k or more.

Found my bike on MCN and moved fast to buy it down in Hants, a 350 mile round trip the next day. 4200 miles, 12 years old, paid just over £4k with the luggage and tax.

So far only problem was a slipping clutch due to minor oil ingress due to standing so long apparently. Fixed at the local bike dealers for £150, just a new washer needed and been fine ever since.

Miles now just over 6300, still enjoying it and adding bits has become a way of life.

> New MRA screen just fitted this week, not used yet but hoping for a big reduction in buffeting.
> Optimate charging lead permanently fitted.
> Keis heated jacket lead attached to Optimate lead for winter.
> Hugger fitted.
> New BMW handguards fitted. How much???!!!
> Leg guards also just fitted, bought from a member of this parish.

Overall a great bike, not super quick, but very comfortable, cruises well but buffeting was tiring, hence MRA screen. Economy is good around early 40s if I really try hard, but upper 30s mostly.

You will find the seat uncomfortable after 150 miles or so, hence so many use upgraded options. other than that it does what it says on the tin. just be ready for all the "they don't make them like that anymore" comments evrywhere!!

Hope this helps and that you too get to enjoy one of these great bikes.

Attachments

• DSCF0477.JPG
    DSCF0477.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 373
Nice to hear, you're enjoying what is of course, the best GS...:augie

A few points, why not just plug the optimate and vest into the accessory socket by the starter motor?

Your fuel consumption seems quite low, I rarely get less than 40-45mpg and that's fully loaded with pillion and luggage, whilst 'making progress'.. If I sit at 90-100mph fuel usage increases somewhat.. But that's very rare.

The MRA screen works great for me, hopefully it'll be the same for you..

That was a good find with that low mileage.

How are the corrosion vulnerable bits? The front of the engine, bottom of forks, exhaust etc?

I have just fitted winglets to mine and seems to improve buffeting.

Fuel useage probably reflects a fair mix of town and longer runs lately to be fair, not been measured over a straight run, will do again later when it warms up a bit!

Corrosion is pretty non-existant, no rust on the engine or bolts anywhere. Some minor pitting of the fork lowers from stones and I chipped the tank by accident yesterday. Doh!

This was written to give the 1150 a bit of a push as everyone seems to be behind the 1200s lately. I think the 1150 is a great used buy, make sure it is in good nick and hopefully you'll have a good long term prospect. Parts are readily available, the 1150 is generally cheaper than early 1200s and is easier to repair given less electronic aids etc.

Mines of the same vintage but much higher mileage. Its scrubbed up pretty well though.

As you say its a good used buy.

nigelp,

Glad to here you are still enjoying your 1150. Had 1 in that very colour and also a blue and white one . Fantastic bikes and slightly more planted than the 1200.:thumb2

Andrew

I agree with you about fuel consumption nigel, I think it's pretty crap actually, i've had an 1150 adv with the big tank since 05 and other than one long run sat at 70 on the m-way most of the the day i've never got the 300 plus tank range others say they get. My mate rides an fjr1300 with a 25L tank and he gets the same distance between fill ups as me when we ride together for 6 litres less:nenau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom