Let's get started. An early Wander 17-18 March

Trip

Hi Wapping
The Roster God was kind :bow I am good to go. :bounce1
Shall i wait until you have spoken to the hotel on monday before booking the train or are you confident that there will be a room ?? Not a problem sharing with kev.
Mike

Decided not to wait tickets booked for the below.

Out: Saturday 17 March - departing 07:50

Back: Sunday 18 March - departing 17:50.

Mike

FULLY BOOKED

Excellent.

The hotel has been chasing me for news, so Mike J's news comes at just the right time. :thumb2

I will now CLOSE the invitation list off now.

Rooms:

Two singles: Bakerlonglegs / Spider (from another site)

Two twins: Wapping & ChasMill / KevB & Mike J

One double: dxtans

Look forward to seeing you all at the train if not before.

Richard

Train booked

Sat 17th March (out) 0750
Sun 18th March (back) 1750

No problem sharing with Mike, as long as your not easily aroused by men wearing pink baby doll outfit !!!!!!

Kevin :thumb

As usual:

I plan to be at the Chunnel in reasonably good time to have a coffee in the passengers' centre thing before departing.

Can everyone come off the train with a full tank, please. There will be fuel en-route in France but having everyone tanked up at the start makes life easier for everyone.

It's never certain that we will all be in the same carriage when boarding. Or that we will all get off the train exactly together. We usually gather up at the first petrol station on leaving...... But, that doesn't work so well if we go west, instead of south. Let's gather up at the top of the ramp on leaving the train, just to do a quick headcount, then away we go.

I will circulate everyone my mobile number. If anyone misses the train or somehow end up on an earlier one (both have happened) ping me a text, with the time, and we can agree where to meet up. It's not unknown for us to wait for a straggler to catch up as problems with the train do occur.

Anything else?

Travel insurance / breakdown insurance is good. It helps your fellow Wanderers to help you to help yourself, should the worse happen.

I will have a basic tool kit, puncture repair gizmo and a pump thingy.

Mobile phone & charger / credit card / a bit of cash / driving licence, insurance certificate, V5 and current passport.

Pills and potions (if you need 'em).

A map is handy, if all else fails.

We'll run through the 'marker system' again on the train, so everyone knows who is at the back..... and the front :D

I think that's it.

Richard

Here's the routes, created in Mapsource, hosted on Drpbox.

Saturday: In green. 145 miles all in. A coffee stop in Bolezeel, lunch probably in Hesdin and maybe a coffee stop (depending on time) in Samer before scooting the last 25 miles southwards to our hotel in Argoules.

Sunday, we have a choice:

(1) In red. 210 miles all in. Leave the hotel, followed by a coffee stop at Picquigny, followed by lunch in Auxi le Chateau. Then, depending on time, maybe a coffee stop at Cap Gris Nez before the run along the coast back to the Chunnel.

OR

(2) In magenta. 190 miles all in. Leave the hotel and a run down to Peronne for an early lunch. Then up to the coast with probably a coffee stop at Hesdin and maybe (depending on time) another at Wierre Effroy.

Either way, it's a reasonably decent schlep on Sunday, so we should try to be up and out by 09:30 wheels rolling if possible.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/Early Wander UKGSer 17-18 March 2012.gdb

Richard

Hello Richard,

Looks a good plan and a good route.
As on previous trips we have been on, we ( Pauline) say to you thanks for organising
this.

Regards.
David

Routes tidied-up and a couple of thoughts.

Hello everyone.

This morning I have tidied up the routes a bit and put them into the latest version of Garmin maps.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/Early Wander UKGSer 17-18 March 2012.gdb

============

On the first day, we have the usual problem of losing an hour and finding somewhere for lunch. Normally I would say bring a picnic, which usually works well but I have half an eye on the weather at this time of year.

What I think might work is have a late lunch in Samer. I might just bring a sandwich or something to stuff down my neck when we stop for a mid-morning coffee, earlier.

On the second day, I sort of favour the 'down to Peronne and up' alternative, with maybe a coffee stop in Doullens on the way. Then on the return leg, a stop for coffee at the cafe at Wierre Efroy. We can see what it's like on the day etc. etc.

Richard

Excellent!

Looking forward to this... Latest bike purchase serviced & farkled :augie

Have fun! If the weather is as good as this weekend then it will be a cracker!

Hello everyone.

This morning I have tidied up the routes a bit and put them into the latest version of Garmin maps.

What I think might work is have a late lunch in Samer. I might just bring a sandwich or something to stuff down my neck when we stop for a mid-morning coffee, earlier.

On the second day, I sort of favour the 'down to Peronne and up' alternative, with maybe a coffee stop in Doullens on the way. Then on the return leg, a stop for coffee at the cafe at Wierre Efroy. We can see what it's like on the day etc. etc.

Richard

Hello Richard,
routes re-loaded.
Pauline and I are quite happy to volunteer to be a sweeper.

Thanks
David

A long shot, but it just might work

Hi Lad's,

Arrived in Belgium last night from Ireland and just rang the hotel, they are fully booked. So if anyone booked a twin and does not mind sharing PM me.

Alternativly if anyone cannot make it I will happily take their room.. PM me...

Thanks would be good to meet up, but no room equals no go:blast

Back
Top Bottom