GS1200 BRAKE FAILURE WARNING

matdave

Reaction score
There seems to be a few posts with this message, but not quite the symptoms as mine. The bike starts and goes through normal startup tests, i can here a noise that I am failly sure is a brake test of some sort,(the same noise happens when i use either front or back brakes). After a few seconds riding all warning lights go out and I can ride happily for as long as I want just using the back brake. If I use the front brake within less than a minute I get the red triangle alternating with the red Brake Failure warning indicator. Both front and back brakes seem fine - and stop the bike as always.

Any hints gratefully received.

guess its a 2006 or earlier?

the ABS system is a bit special on these years as the brakes are linked - put front on and it also applies the rear.

probs a brake light switch mate,it knows the brakes are working but no brake light ,and it puts the warning light on the dash .
happened to mine was an easy fix.:thumb

I should also say that it passed the MOT only a few days ago, and this was happening before that. Also the speedo seems OK, is this from the front or rear wheel speed sensor?

When I press either front or rear brake the brake light gets brighter, but I seem to remember someone saying that if the brake light element failed the rear light current would be increased so that it looked like a brake light was working OK. Is this possible?

I will check the bulbs tonight.

Nipped out of work and checked bulb - all OK.
A suggestion was made that rear brake pad wear could cause these warnings, any one with similar thoughts?

Just a thought but if you have the 1200 with servo, check the handguard isnt touching the front brake lever, also check your front brake light switch isn't sticking on

Does your speedo stop working? The front ABS and speedo both work off the proximity sensor.

Normally the failure is the other way round where the warning is on until you ride a little bit and it "finds" the sensor.

The speedo is uneffected, the reservoir under the tank, is that an abs reservoir ?

Many thanks for everyones help with this, in the end I called a BMW dealer - no joy, need to bring in to go on the diagnostics, no hints to try. I called a local motorcycle repair garage. They suggested a number of things, including topping up the cylinder under the tank. If I had no joy they would try the diagnostics.

Two fillers under the tank (3 and 4 I think), one was Ok, the other contained a white filter this seemed low I couln't see any fluid I added what could be no more than a thimble full before the fluid was almost at the top.

I have had no more issues since - touch wood this has fixed the problem.

Can anyone tell me what chambers 3 and 4 actaully are, I assume the brake servo is one.

Again Thanks

I found that the red triangle and brake failure warnings flashing alternately was caused by low brake fluid in either of the reservoirs under the tank. Try disconnecting one of the sensors and switching on the ignition to see the effect.

New disc and brake pads

My dash shows faulty brake light I have just had disc and brakes all round. If I switch off and start it resets it does not do it all the time it’s intermittent. I think it’s the rear brake sensor that needs adjusting but not sure has anyone have any ideas

probs a brake light switch mate,it knows the brakes are working but no brake light ,and it puts the warning light on the dash .
happened to mine was an easy fix.:thumb

How do we fix it

My dash shows faulty brake light I have just had disc and brakes all round. If I switch off and start it resets it does not do it all the time it’s intermittent. I think it’s the rear brake sensor that needs adjusting but not sure has anyone have any ideas

Year of bike would be a great start. There are two completely different systems, each requiring different solutions to problems.

Back
Top Bottom