What fast computer for playing games?

Monsieur

Most respected and loved member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for something that is well able to play the latest games such as the latest COD - any ideas?

Go to newsagent's and get 'PC PRO' or 'what pc'.....multiple user guides, Grphx card comparisons and latest memory speeds.

8 or 16gb of the fastest ram, a solid state boot drive and a couple of TB Sata HDs, with the second most expensive grphx card you can afford.

(never buy at the bleeding edge, it will cost you £300 more and will be second best in two months anyway)

EDIT....Tom's hard ware was always a pretty useful guide website and that might be worth a bit of a read through.

Go to newsagent's and get 'PC PRO' or 'what pc'.....multiple user guides, Grphx card comparisons and latest memory speeds.

8 or 16gb of the fastest ram, a solid state boot drive and a couple of TB Sata HDs, with the second most expensive grphx card you can afford.

(never buy at the bleeding edge, it will cost you £300 more and will be second best in two months anyway)

EDIT....Tom's hard ware was always a pretty useful guide website and that might be worth a bit of a read through.

All the top graphics cards probably do - but make sure it has two DVI outputs (or three)

Al:D

Does anyone know of a specific model that I could go out an buy now or order from, say, amazon, that woiuld foot the bill?

All the top graphics cards probably do - but make sure it has two DVI outputs (or three)

Al:D

Aye.

And if they can be paired up, you could effectively double their power in the future.

SLI (nVidea) and crossfirex (Ati) are the two systems I believe

Alienware used to be one of the best but I believe are now affiliated or owned by Dell. Not sure if that's good or bad TBH.

Are the games you want to play available for the games machines. If so it might be worth considering going down that route. I spent too many years upgrading or replacing pc's to try to keep up with games developers before I realised it was a thankless task. If the games you want are available for an Xbox or similar it may be cheaper to not use a PC for games.

Are the games you want to play available for the games machines. If so it might be worth considering going down that route. I spent too many years upgrading or replacing pc's to try to keep up with games developers before I realised it was a thankless task. If the games you want are available for an Xbox or similar it may be cheaper to not use a PC for games.

PC graphics, memory and (for everything apart from dumb-downed ported games) control systems are far superior to a console though :blast

With a console, you have to wait until a new-gen console comes out....with a PC, you can simply upgrade the GPU :nenau

Alienware used to be one of the best but I believe are now affiliated or owned by Dell. Not sure if that's good or bad TBH.

Probably good from a value P.O.V, but if you study the Dell site then flip across to the Alienware equivalent, you can see the same machine with the same components, just stuck in a leary box with some flashing LED's and a wanky logo, for £300 or more over the same Dell machine in a plain box.

Dell make good machines, but as in all PC's, it's the mixing and matching of components to get what you need......I'd rather have more memory or a faster CPU and GPU than a smartarsed box that I'd probably get pissed off with in a day anyway with its flashing lights and gizmos.

A birthday present for a lucky teenager, alienware, but for a concerning adult more concerned with value and performance than the number of LED's to illuminate their ballsack while browsing redtube, keep away from blinged up 'games' machines

:thumb2
PC graphics, memory and (for everything apart from dumb-downed ported games) control systems are far superior to a console though :blast

With a console, you have to wait until a new-gen console comes out....with a PC, you can simply upgrade the GPU :nenau

Can't agree with control systems being far superior on a pc compared to a console. The kinect system is excellent. Only just been made available for the pc doesn't have such a close near point for picking up movement and is projected to cost twice as much in pc flavour as opposed to Xbox type. As I previously pointed out it really is down to the types of games the op intends to play when deciding on the best platform to buy.

Ps just checked with Wikipedia and it suggests that COD Elite is not yet available for the PC. I won't vouch for the accuracy of Wikipedia, however I think my suggestion to the OP to decide what games he wants to play, and then buying the appropriate platform may be the way to go. Think of it being a little like motorbikes, there's no one bike that does it all, ( and I include a GS here ) and there's no one platform for game playing.
BTW when upgrading a CPU becomes worthwhile I've always ended up having to buy a new motherboard as well. It can easily cosy as much if not more than a new purpose designed games box.

I concur about getting the PC PRO magazine, I`m not someone who buys such magazines especially at £6 a go. But a mate urged me to take a look. The OP could take a look at their reviews section http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews
They recently did a review of budget £500 (+VAT) desktop PC`s in the March edition, and the Chillblast fusion Elixir machine came out on top http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/desktops/372364/chillblast-fusion-elixir. Check out http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Elixir.html for the spec at around £600 its bang on the budget for the OP, and as I was on the look out for a replacement for my aged steam powered PC, on the recomendation of an IT geek mate. I took the plunge and bought 1, albeit the only upgrade I chose was max`ing the RAM to 16Gb. I have to say I`m very pleased with the thing. The point the magazine made about the RAM DIMM slot being impeaded is incorrect. I`ve matched it with a new BenQ 2024HD 24" monitor that I bought seperately

http://www.scan.co.uk/

This is one of the best cheapest shops in the UK, the sales team are very knowledgeable and are up to date with all the latest computer hardware. If you contact them and let them know what you want to use the computer for, and your budget. They will build one from scratch that will suit your needs. I cannot recommend them enough. :thumb

No I don't work for them, but I do buy most of my computer kit from them :D

I had a Mesh machine a few years back, and it was a fine bit of kit....still got the carcass in my junk room actually, canabilised for parts :)

Another good value make is MEDION........they got a bit of a bad image a few years back when they pushed their stuff through LIDL and Woolies, but £ for £, it was good kit.

I'm still using two of their half-terrabyte hot swap bay type USB HDs now......nice bit of design back then.....the box had a tray on the top that you just slid the HD into to make contact with the USB and power connections :thumb2

£600 ish is roughly what I was thinking - is that a reasonable figure?

For £600 you'll get a decent PC that will at least play all of the latest games, but you won't be able to play them with all the quality sliders up at maximum or at highest resolutions.

You'd looking at the thick end of a grand for that, or add another 50% on for something that will play everything coming out for the next year or so at high settings :(

I reckon it's better to compromise on HD storage (after the first drive, your boot one which should be as fast as possible, maybe a solid state one but in truth I've never tried one of those) because you can add those cheaply as you need to......decent cooling, CPU and GPU are more important, and a good chunky Power supply unit.

The great thing about PCs though is that they are completely modular..........you can upgrade forever, so you end up with Trigger's broom (handle replaced 4 times, head 6 times, still original :D)

With that in mind, have a look at what you already have and see if there's a cost-effective upgrade route you can take, new MOBO, PSU and GPU for example, and some decent fast Ram.

For playing games, as you describe in your thread header, I would defo use a games console!
For sheer ease of use, lack of tossing about with "other" PC dependant bits ( AV etc) you cannot go wrong:thumb
Oh btw for you £600 budget you could do far worse than pop along to your local game store and see what 'deals' they will do for you................ You may find that you have lots of ££££ left from the budget!
:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom