Petrol pipe "X" pipe

newbuild100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone run petrol pipe from the fuel tap straight down to that side carb, thus eliminating the cross over pipe at all. (The bit that runs under the airbox)

There are only minor potential problems as far as I can see.
1 . . Having to switch both taps to reserve relatively quickly,
2 . .A fuel tap becoming inoperable kills that side cylinder (ie, no fuel feed from the opposite side fuel tap). In 30 years of riding BM's, ive never had a fuel tap block up.

Ideas anyone ?

Well, ive only thought about it cos the pipe in there is about to give up the ghost i think.

Doing the above is easier (for now) than raving the airbox out !!!

Get the proper thinner fuel piping from one of the airhead suppliers and tape it tightly to the old pipe and simply pull it through :thumb2
If that fails, it is only a 10 minute job if you have to remove the airfilter ( three bolts ) anyway :)

Don't do it..
Always run the link pipe..:rob
You will find that when you are down to around 1/4 tank, one side will start getting fuel starvation, run lean and maybe burn valve out :(
Seen it happen :(

You can run a fuel crossover pipe either over the top of the airbox or under the gearbox but you'll need to fit a pair of small 12v electric fuel pumps to keep the fuel under pressure to counteract the siphoning effect. :thumb

It is fairly easy to run a new fuel pipe under the airbox without removing it, 5 minute job.

1 Remove old pipe

2 Unwrap a metal coathanger and thread it through where the pipe is going to go

3 Guide the new fuel pipe over the coathanger from one side of the airbox to the other

4 When the fuel pipe reaches the opposite side just twist/ wiggle/push it through, guided by the coathanger

5 When the new fuel pipe is through, remove the coathanger, et voila

To be honest it's such a simple job to loosen the airbox and fit a new pipe I can't understand why you wouldn't do it properly and just fit a new pipe.

Back
Top Bottom