Nice R100GS article in today's MCN

Devon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sean Warwick, who has a thread in this section on his R100GS rebuild: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277304 has written a decent article on his bike in MCN today.
OK, BMW have a full page advert for the 1200 at the start of the piece but it captures the ethos of airhead GSes and similar M/Cs and what they are all about.
The write up is a bit rose tinted glasses in that it doesn't mention the standard 'odour de la airhead owner' or other traits that go with airhead ownership but its worth a read. All imho anyway :)

Had a read, not bad for mcn, also liked the editorial bit on the letters page saying britain is the best place to go for a ride...no it isnt, not by a long way.

Had a read, not bad for mcn, also liked the editorial bit on the letters page saying britain is the best place to go for a ride...no it isnt, not by a long way.

MCN, by it's very nature, tries to be all things to all men .
I posted up because I thought the airhead article was pretty good and worth drawing peoples attention to, not to promote MCN in particular. Britain does have some fantastic roads and interesting places to visit and I wouldn't knock the comment article for being patriotic. The trouble with Britain is it's too small and rains too much. That said, I plan to explore Aran, Islay and Jura off southwest Scotland next month and I will do a couple of laps of Wales during the summer.

It will be a shame if this thread ends up merely slagging off MCN instead of pointing enthusiasts towards a decent read but hey ho.

Is sean the deluded journo' who called Rob the "oracle of all things airhead" in another article:p

Will pick up my weekly copy from the garage later:thumb

MCN, by it's very nature, tries to be all things to all men .

It will be a shame if this thread ends up merely slagging off MCN instead of pointing enthusiasts towards a decent read but hey ho.

Firstly, thanks for the plug. :) Was slightly dreading what the thread title would say when someone stumbled across the piece.

Secondly, I won't be offended by anything anyone has to say about MCN. I was the editor from 94-96, and believe me, I've heard it all before.

:hide

You're also quite right in thinking that the main reason (there are many others of course) that people slag it off is because it is aimed at the popular market rather then their individual interest.

I wouldn't expect to find MCN a popular read among users of this forum, though I would mention that the writing team have just relaunched it a couple of weeks ago and I think if you picked up a copy in the petrol station and had a flick thru, you might find it challenging a range of prejudices about what MCN used to be 30/20/10/5/1 years ago. You might even feel tempted to hand over £1.99 :eek: for a copy.

Anyway, that's my axe ground; will put it away for now. Too easy to go off on one.

I haven't been a journo for some time by the way (deluded or otherwise :D) - I work as project manager / business analyst on a range of consumer websites (including MCN) for MCN's parent company, Bauer. I just wrote the piece this week cos I like to keep my hand in, it was a favour to former colleagues/friends, and because it seemed to fit in quite well with the new feel of the paper.

corner.jpg

I Liked the article,,Its good to get the airhead way of basic biking back into public viewing.
I love my bike more each time I ride it..

Must admit, I get MCN every week :hide

Don't agree with a lot of what is written, but there's always something of interest in there, if only the bikes for sale bit some weeks.
The BM article was pretty good Sean - you should write for them more often :thumb2

The only one that gets right up my nose is that wannabe racer, Adam Childs -all that knee & elbow down crap, and when I've seen him in an actual race, up at Oliver's Mount, he was almost last amongst the proper racers :D

Sean
I have to admit I actually bought this weeks MCN. Usually I just read it in Asda but I was in a different shop this week so actually paid real money to buy it.:)

I thought it was a good issue.Nice article on my mateKevin who builds the cafe racers plus another article on Frenchie customisers who use airheads. Then I read your piece about the R100GS and thought it had been worth spending the money on the issue.

It would be great if you could come to our Airhead Weekend in June and swap stories about your rebuild.:)

Cheers

Sid

MCN Article

...I'd love to read it....Ive checked the web site but the article doesn't seem to be on there...

We cant get MCN over here...and chance of a scanned copy ? Im looking for an R80/100GS..PD...and would love to have a read...

...But Ive always thought that MCN (on the web..) are not really "my sort"...

Nice photo!!!

Sean
I have to admit I actually bought this weeks MCN. Usually I just read it in Asda but I was in a different shop this week so actually paid real money to buy it.:)

I thought it was a good issue.Nice article on my mateKevin who builds the cafe racers plus another article on Frenchie customisers who use airheads. Then I read your piece about the R100GS and thought it had been worth spending the money on the issue.

It would be great if you could come to our Airhead Weekend in June and swap stories about your rebuild.:)

Cheers

Sid

yeah, can't guarantee you'll get 3 airhead articles a week in future unfortunately :)

...but you may find that things are now generally pitched more at a slightly more mature and experienced gentleman :thumb

Will put weekend in the diary; sounds like a good dry run for the bike before a trip to France I have pencilled in for early July. Cheers :thumb2

Good article, well written (Thanks Sean)

It's good to read that "Newer isn't always best" in todays literature. Im always surprised at the current batch of GS "converts" who say the latest/greatest GS/Explorer/S10 is the very very best thing thats happened to them...and all the other bikes are left by the road-side without a second glance.

I'm reminded of a close friend of mine, who had just tuned his Vette to 500hp + (& suspension, brakes...the works..) and who wanted to try my lowly 250hp Porsche..."Why give up that extra 250hp ?" I asked...his response.."Because even 1/4 Hp in the right corner will scare the crap out you if done right!"

Its good to hear that quantity isnt always quality...

Thanks again.

Does anyone know in what MCN edition (month and year) Sean's article was published? I'd like to try and get a copy because I'm pretty sure I'm now the owner of the bike. Nice to think that it was once famous.
Cheers

Does anyone know in what MCN edition (month and year) Sean's article was published? I'd like to try and get a copy because I'm pretty sure I'm now the owner of the bike. Nice to think that it was once famous.
Cheers

Erm, unless I am missing something - the date of the OP is 11/4/12 and it refers to the article in todays MCN - so at a guess I would say April 2012 edition..................:nenau

Tone's been scouring the archives and resuscitated an oldy ( but by the looks of it for him, a goody!).

I don't suppose anyone's gonna have a fucking clue as to the answer...

Erm, unless I am missing something - the date of the OP is 11/4/12 and it refers to the article in todays MCN - so at a guess I would say April 2012 edition..................:nenau

OK Tone5, you've failed the 'simple practicality' test for Airhead ownership. One of the airhead committee 'enforcement team' will be in touch shortly to arrange consfiscation of that old lump of pig iron.

Ok, admittedly my question was a bit daft; I should have read previous posts carefully and thought to work out the publication date from the date original post.
Anyway, I have just spent a half hour looking through online MCN articles from around April 2012 and not yet found the one. Also tried searching by various keywords but this has not worked. I'll have another try tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom